The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Miele S716 - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 10752 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Miele S716 - Stripdown and Refurb
« on: December 31, 2015, 05:43:42 pm »
I swapped this with another vacuum collector for 70% of a DC04 Constant Max. Afterboxing the dyson up awaiting next year when it can be posted, I gave this a refurb ready for sale

The day I received it

I vacuumed upstairs with it before christmas

and plonked it down on the rug the other day to take it apart. It was very clean tbh, almost didnt bother with a full refurb, but the plastics needed a good machining, and that's always easier with things in bits.

Small tools first. Dusting brush is a bit worse for wear sadly, although not as bad as it could be

Crevice tool wasn't mint

Upholstery brush was mint though

split apart

Hose apart

The style of floor tool this has is a bastard to to get back together again when stripped, so, as it was very clean anyway I left it alone, and just removed the litter pickers for washing

Non washables put to one side (the hose was clean enough to not need a trip through the washing machine)

Starting at the top of the main machine

Lid popped

and removed (a little too easily, the pivot points are slightly worn)

The spring that flings it open is removed next

Bag door next

Very clean (and very expensive when new) carbon air clean filter removed

The bag door hinge on the right pops off of it's locating peg, and pulls out of the machine

The other side is a bit different as the hinge also incorporates the power socket wiring.

Bag door off

wiring cover removed

The wiring side pops out of the housing

and unclips a bit so the hinge part can turn to 90 degrees, and locate in a little lug

to be removed. I could not get the wires out of the plug, even once the locating peg had been removed, so it stayed wired up!

and I removed the hose entry port and free'd the wiring up from that end

Angry plug!

The wires easily came out of this end, and the whole lot could be removed from the bag door

The hose entry trim pops off the bag door now

and unscrewing the hose entry housing releases the bag full indicator module as well!

Bag door release catch off

and onto the bojack fitted bag

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jLwPeDZ8uyY/VoVLi_QfihI/AAAAAAAAwf0/0mHwlIMK_mU/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

This was fitted for sale, and I just dont like them! Into the bin it went

along with the pre motor filter

Bag holder pops out

as does the pre filter cage

Switch housing next. Screw out

The electronics are held in with 2 screws

The pedals and knob pop out

Main housing now. Screws out

What struck me first is that there is no sound deadening! I'm used to the S5's having them

With everything being modular and lovely, the motor lifted out

Very clean, no noise on wind down. Left this alone!

Cleaned the thermal cutout though just to be sure

Motor housing seal lifts off

as does the bag compartment seal

The wires to the cord rewind are routed a bit

One screw to remove and the whole thing lifts out

Again, left well alone cos it works great!

suction relief tube is removed

as is the release valve itself

which splits down nicely

Bumper removed

Wheels removed

and done! Screws

It was then all washed, and the shiney bits machine polished to make them shine once more, then re-assembled!

Motor and cord rewind dropped in

I then realised I hadn't fitted the wheels, so left them for later

Motor housing seal on

then the bag compartment seal, which actually goes in first as the motor housing seal holds it down at the back....

Bumper and side parking slot on

Buggar, forgot the release valve. Cord rewind out quickly...

Parking bracket screwed down

Relief pipe fitted

Main housing could be refitted now

Now everything was secured I could flip her over and fit the wheels.

Brackets first

Wheel housings fitted

The axles got a drop of oil to stop the Miele squeaky wheel syndrome, and were refitted

Back up top now, the switch housing was clipped back together

and the electronics refitted, being careful to put the overheat warning lamp down into it's little housing

Screwed down

I then refitted the power cord, plug and hose entry housing together, as they all hold themselves in. Forgotten at this stage is the release catch, which also has to go in now due to the housing holding it together...

Wire cover refitted

and the bit of trim clipped down

Bag full indicator fitted

screwed down, then the bag door was fitted to the machine

Dusting brush re-assembled

as was the upholstry tool

which all sit in their little slots here

The carbon filter fitted

and the machine is done!

I refitted the litter pickers to the floor tool, and gave the baseplate a polish

and the top

Fast forward to today. I was in work today, it was booked off but I had to use a day for when the boy was in hospital, so chose the day we leave work at 1pm to use... The bags had turned up tues or weds it seemed

Bit battered sadly

But the contents is fine. Feels odd not having to cut the pre motor filter to size!

I re-fitted the bag holder (as fitting it without a bag present means the bag door wont shut)

and fitted a lovely HyClean bag to it (not 3d HyClean sadly, must have been sent old stock)

Fitted an air freshener

and called it done!

Currently trying to sell it via a raffle before trying ebay and facebook!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline dysondestijl

Re: Miele S716 - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 05:55:43 pm »
Looks great, you did a great job as always, can't wait to recieve my dc04 😄

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 05:59:12 pm »
It's sat in the hall awaiting a label being stuck on it! Didn't see the point of sending it this week,  for it to sit in a warehouse over the new year with more time for potential damage!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Hoover Master

• I like dyson,numatic and miele most.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 08:17:26 am »
I'm sure they were 3d bags, it said so on the box

Offline clarer1

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 11:21:23 am »
I accidentally pulled out the bag holder in my S716 (Cat&Dog). It hasn't broken and I still have the spring but I can't work out how to put it back.

Your photo shows me the spring hooks over those little lugs to keep it stretched out but I can't work out where the ends go nor how to get it all in place.

I've hunted on line with no luck. Miele sent me instructions of S7xxx but it must be for more recent models than mine as the bag holder looks very different  :'(

Can anyone tell me how to put the holder back please? Thanks.

Offline Hoover Master

• I like dyson,numatic and miele most.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 04:10:12 pm »
Hi,

Once the spring is located on the holder properly, the bag holder just needs to be pushed back in. You will see where it should go so just line it up and push. Hope this helps, haven’t got one handy so can’t show how to do it

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 10:12:36 pm »
Yes, it does just push.

The spring locates on the bag holder itself. The circle goes over the peg in the middle, and the ends flare out and tuck under a plastic peg on either side. Then as HooverMaster says, roughly line up the 2 lugs that locate the holder to the machine on either side and push down and it will click in, and should bounce on the spring

Offline clarer1

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 10:16:38 am »
Thanks very much both of you for getting back to me so quickly.

Oh so simple once you'd told me. Duh! Bag holder and bag are back in place  :-D

Odd thing is that my cleaner does close without a bag in place. I thought it shouldn't. And is difficult to close with a bag. May just be that it's a very old machine that hasn't been treated too kindly.

Annoying that Miele don't have the instructions. If I get round to it I'll take photos and send them an instruction sheet to use if someone else gets stuck. Though maybe no-one else is as thick as me in trying to work it out!

Offline clarer1

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 11:49:30 am »
Oh blow! I spoke too soon. It's not quite right.

When I try to open the lid, the bit in the inside of the lid where the hose goes (white arrow in photo - if I can work out how to attach a photo!) catches in the opening of the bag (green arrow). I have to open the lid a little way then slide a hand inside to jiggle the bag free from the hose place.

Happens with a Miele bag as well as an unbranded. This didn't happen before I accidentally pulled out the bag holder.

Any ideas what's happening?

I've also been looking at the problem getting the bags out anyway. When I try to take the Miele bag out, I have the same problem as with the unbranded. With the Miele bags I used to have ages back, when I pulled the loop (blue arrow) it pulled a flap across the bag opening, closing it. I can't find any bags like that now.

I've worked out that I need to prise up the bit at the yellow arrow, it lifts out of a slot on the bag which I can then remove more easily. But I didn't need to do that with the Miele bags I used to have way back. I'm using FJM bags which as far as I know are the right model.

So one problem is why is the hose opening catching in the bag opening? Which I don't think was happening before I pulled out the bag holder.

And the other has been a problem for a while - why do I have to prise up that bit on the holder to free bags now when I didn't have to on the bags I used to be able to get?

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 08:11:06 pm »
Aaah! The locking tabs may have snapped off. It'll require a bit of disassembly as the broken tabs sit under the cover. Epoxy will be your friend here!

Offline clarer1

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 08:30:48 pm »
Locking tabs?

Seeing as I have to hold/push the bag holder down to get the lid open now, I'm guessing the locking tabs are things that stop the bag holder coming up so far. If so, then they're not in what I've been calling the lid and thought you meant by "cover." So maybe "cover" is the red cover of the main body, rather than the "lid."

But also guessing I'd need to remove the bag holder to get at all this. Not at all sure I should attempt this as it wouldn't surprise me if I managed to break the bag holder in the process and be worse off than I am now! I haven't actually tried vacuuming anything at the moment but I expect it's working and I can at any rate jiggle it around to get bags on and off.

If it's just a matter of unscrewing something to get at the right place though, I might manage that ...

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram