The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DCO4 belt losing suction  (Read 11623 times)

Offline billythefish

DCO4 belt losing suction
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:30:40 pm »
Hi. I need some help please!

The plastic clip in the main unit of my old DCO4 snapped - meaning that the large waste canister will not click back in place. (I used an elastic band to attach it temporarily). Having spoken to a few local Dyson repairers, the advice was that the main body of the machine would need replacing.

So I have bought a second hand DCO4 to replace my old one - I plan to use my old one for parts. I have used our old canister and HEPA filter on the 'new' machine. The new machine has good suction through the wand but less good from the main unit (when pushed). I have cleaned and checked the brush roller. It was in good condition with a few hairs. The roller turns fast when the motor is on. The suction was better on the old machine.

The old machine is a Purple/Grey Absolute; the new one is a Yellow/Grey Brush Control.

I will clean the filter (although as the canister is from the old model, this won't be likely to sort the 'new' machine).

I wonder whether the belt need changing for the 'new' machine? If so, how is this done? very many thanks

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: DCO4 belt losing suction
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 11:29:18 am »
Right, first off what you need for your first dyson is the top cyclone handle. The part you lift up to change the sponge filter, the handle screws to the top of that, and the back of the handle provides the clip. Mvacs should have one, but there are 2 designs, one has a circular 'protrusion' behind the handle, one doesnt.

Regarding the second one, turn the machine upside down and you will see a little clear hose running from the machine to the top of the brushroll. If this is split it will loose suction, if it's gone all floppy then it wont push the brushroll onto the carpet enough.

Either replace (it makes  a HUGE difference anyway), or if just split but still quite springy mummify it in a thin layer of insulation tape or other flexible tape.

If you feel brave, you could even take the baseplate off, make sure the machine is reclined and the clutch is off so the brushroll wont spin, and carefully feel for suction from the hose. If you feel like taking it off, it will be even easier/better!

Hope that helps!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline billythefish

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 01:13:50 pm »
Hi - thanks for your prompt reply - much appreciated. The problem with the original one isnt with the top of the cyclone, the bit that broke off is part of the main housing - the cyclone is ok.
I have looked at the clear tube and all looks ok - but I will check if it is floppy and probably replace it. I'll update - thanks again

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:16:57 pm »
Aaah, if you had something break off the chassis then that will make sense. Not an expensive part but alot of work to strip it apart and rebuild it onto the new spine.

I've done DC04 rebuild threads though, you could follow one of those quite easily and tear the old one apart and build it back onto the new chassis in a day!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline billythefish

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 01:23:25 pm »
I was tempted but for the £20 that I paid for the 'new' old one, I will have a go at using the 'new' one as the main machine. I have swapped wheels, cyclone, fitted the 'old' HEPA filter (albeit I have 2 new filters on order) and will swap the base plate (the 'new' one has a clip missing). The hose is new one the 'new' one - which is a bonus.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 01:29:23 pm »
Sounds like a plan then, plus you can have lots of spares to use in the future (wand and hose are rare and £££ now, and the wand does break easily!)

Offline billythefish

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:48:39 pm »
aha - this might be relevant.

The old machine (absolute) has a self adjusting head. The 'new' one doesnt. When the old machine angle is changed, the head stays parallel to the floor. With the new one the head doesnt do this. So, with the 'new' one as the wand handle is lowered (backwards) the rear of the head moves away from the floor (out of parallel). The difference is that the back of the old head stays approx a finger's width away from the floor irrespective of the angle of the wand, whereas the new one starts off at one finger's width but increases to at least double as the machine tips back.

When I press on the rear of the head of the new machine it moves down to the floor - but not automatically.

I guess that this would alter the suction of the new machine if it isn't parallel to the carpet? Can this be fixed without swapping the heads over?

thanks again

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 03:17:05 pm »
Yes, that would do it, as the brushroll isnt in contact with the floor, so its just the suction picking up the surface litter.

All the DC04's have a pivoting head, so it suggests that yours is jammed/broken. Does it move by hand? If so, I would have a stab at the 'new' internal hose isnt fitted properly. If you rotate it by hand until it feels more springy in your hand, then try it on the floor. Will take a bit of trial and error, but I do this on any refurb just to check the hose/spring is seated correctly.

I presume the brushroll housing is clipped into the main housing correctly? If you have one working and one not working machine, if they both have a clutch they will be identical. A quick game of 'spot the difference' around all the parts may highlight something.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 03:32:51 pm »
I bought a DC14 the other week, was sold because it had "loss of suction". When I got it home, everything was perfect, BUT It wasn't picking up because the brush head wasn't in contact with the floor properly. I had to loosen he little hose slightly so that it was more springy (it's best to get a new one really) and as Beko suggested, it makes a massive difference ;)

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 03:36:22 pm »
PS I forgot to mention, if you take the soleplate off both vacuums, do they have black foam seals around the perimeter of the brush housings? They might be on the soleplate aswell on one side IIRC. You can remove the soleplate by turning the 3 plastic fasteners/screws 90 degrees/ quarter of a turn (best done with a coin or a flat tip screw driver) :) The lack of seals in he brush housing and/or soleplate can affect the suction at the head.

Hope this helps!

Offline billythefish

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 04:07:04 pm »
Hi. I can't see foam seals but there are what look like rubber seals in the recesses. I have swapped the baseplates as the 'new' one has a missing yellow clip (next to the hose).

The old absolute baseplate fits but doesn't seem snug - there seems to be some gaps around the edge. I am sure that I have fitted it correctly - maybe the two parts aren't interchangeable?

I'll try to get hold of another clip (they look like push fit but not easily removeable). I have ordered the clear hose

I can now see how the lack of strength reduces the pressure on the head casuing it to lift off at the back edge. thanks!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 04:13:46 pm »
The Base plate should be the same on all the clutched models,  only the non clutch ones have a different Base plate.

The pivoting brush roll housing clips in at each end into a C shaped cutout on the main housing,  and pivots against this.  The combination of the belt pulling the brush roll and some resistance on the mating faces either end hold it all together.  When they wear the brush roll housing can fall off easier

Mvacs should have some clips individually.

The suction won't push the floor head down on its own,  the hose/spring does most of that,  the suction will then such the carpet up against the baseplate so it can be agitated.

If you still have issues then we may need pictures to help.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 07:28:51 pm »
clips can be a bugger to remove,  you need to place it over a hollow tube that's just a bit bigger that the clip, line up the tabs with the cut outs and hit it with a hammer, 99% of the time it works the other 1% something breaks. give the area a clean and a squirt of WD40 helps.

Offline billythefish

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 07:38:42 pm »
From the look of the yellow (quarter turn) clips, I reckon that the way to remove one might be by warming the back with a hairdryer and then using a pair of tiny pipe grips to temporarily compress the plastic so that it can be pushed back through the slot in the plate.

I may have access to another one to experiment with (I dont want to risk breaking my old one). More to follow!

Offline billythefish

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 07:05:52 am »
thanks all - all sorted. The problem was the clear plastic hose. I took it of and swapped it with a newer one and the head now springs down. I also changed the filters for new ones which will also have helped. I will post a photo of the broken part of the original machine as I would like to have a go at fixing it if possible. thanks again for your help! :thumbsup:

DC04 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram