The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC04 Absolute purple/lime  (Read 5405 times)

Offline Richardmw

DC04 Absolute purple/lime
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:13:58 pm »
Hi,

I have just joined this forum having found it when searching for information to repair the hose on our 15 year old DC04 Absolute.  Information on the site was very helpful and enabled me to deal with the hose and also inspired me to change the filters and the bottom hose. Thank you to all those committed contributors.
I have 2 further questions now and wonder if anybody is able to help.
1. I have now found that the flex needs repair. It has broken where it enters the switch housing. I can deal with that but the problem is that the rubber flex housing has also come to the end of its life.  Is it possible to find a new rubber flex housing. I have looked online and on the Manchester vacs site (what a fantastic help that site is) but cannot find any for sale.  Does anyone have any ideas where I can find one?
2. I am intrigued as to why the main hose comes in 2 variations: I appreciate there are 2 main models either clutched and or clutch.  There is clear advice that you need a main hose which comes for one or the other.  However why is that? I assume that the attachment of the hose to the chassis is the same for the clutched or clutch less models.  There does not appear to be a different type of wand for the clutched and clutch less model, in which case why do you need a different hose?  Apologies if this is a stupid question.  If there is a different wand what is the purpose. How does the operation of the clutch affect the type of wand?

Many thanks if anybody can help

Regards

Richard

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: DC04 Absolute purple/lime
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:31:10 pm »
Hi Richard.

The wand for the clutched and non clutched is different. The end of the metal pole is 'bulged' on the non clutched', which is why the hose has a rubber cuff to sit over this (you cannot use the tools directly on the hose on a non clutched). The clutched has no bulge, and the plastic cuff that enables tool fitment.

The cable entry rubber is NLA by Dyson, but they are available. Here is a purple one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1GenuineSparePart-Dyson-DC07-DC14-Cable-Protector-Grommit-Purple-Good-USED-/182014018931?hash=item2a60e18573:g:KfsAAOSwLN5Wi6-l, or mvacs should have several in every colour! To fit i though, you need to cut the crimps off, remove the old grommit, feed the new one on (bit of wd40 helps here as the cable grips the rubber as it goes in...) and re-crimp new terminals onto the end of the cable.

Hope this helps!

Sam
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Richardmw

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:51:01 pm »
Sam.

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

Following my original post I realised that I had been using the wrong words to do the search!  I have now started looking for the "cable protector" which has shown a few more possibilities.
Your link shows a similar but slightly different  cable protector to the one I have and on checking further it appears that Dyson may have changed the design of the switch housing for the DC04 during it's production and I think that the one shown won't fit my original switch housing. However now that I have the correct search terms I have found that Manchester vacs does a switch housing with a cable protector included for a very reasonable price. 
Thanks for the comments about the process involved which is helpful.

With regards to the wand for the clutched and clutch less models was there any need to have a different connection other than a desire by Dyson to ensure that tools were not interchangeable?  In other words was there an operational reason why Dyson didn't want the clutch less model owners to be able to attach their tools direct to the hose?

Many thanks

Kind regards
Richard

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 11:07:50 pm »
I think it was just a difference for difference sake with the wand.  Sir could spend £more to be able to fit tools to the hose etc.  Not 100% sure though,  there could be a genuine reason.  The clutchless 04s were always sold more cheaply than the clutched ones.

But when the dc07 came along,  they did away with that and the hose and wand were the same for clutched and non clutched,  hence why I think it was a market positioning decision to have them different.

Its a pain when the hose breaks though,  you can repair a clutched hose,  not a clutchless one
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Richardmw

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:40:04 pm »
Many thanks for the info, which satisfies my curiosity!

I think that I have all that I need now regarding the cable repair and would like to thank you very much for your time and assistance.
 Kind regards
Richard   

Offline Elgin

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 01:00:33 am »
Hi Richard.

The wand for the clutched and non clutched is different. The end of the metal pole is 'bulged' on the non clutched', which is why the hose has a rubber cuff to sit over this (you cannot use the tools directly on the hose on a non clutched). The clutched has no bulge, and the plastic cuff that enables tool fitment.

The cable entry rubber is NLA by Dyson, but they are available. Here is a purple one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1GenuineSparePart-Dyson-DC07-DC14-Cable-Protector-Grommit-Purple-Good-USED-/182014018931?hash=item2a60e18573:g:KfsAAOSwLN5Wi6-l, or mvacs should have several in every colour! To fit i though, you need to cut the crimps off, remove the old grommit, feed the new one on (bit of wd40 helps here as the cable grips the rubber as it goes in...) and re-crimp new terminals onto the end of the cable.

Hope this helps!

Sam
Ive used tools directly onto the hose cuff on a rubber non-clutched hose on 3 diffrent machines. a 1998 one, A slightly later model, probaly about 2000 and then a final year model

Offline Richardmw

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 01:25:13 am »
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Richard

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
    • RustySkull Productions YouTube
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 12:40:45 pm »
I bet you're well happy now Richard, Dude.
If You Like Machines, Radios and Cars As Well As Vacuum Cleaners Then Check Out The Official RustySkull Productions YouTube!
>>>>>>RustySkull Productions YouTube!<<<<<< >>>>>Twitter<<<<<>>>>>Instagram<<<<<

DC04 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram