The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC40 Not Picking Up Properly  (Read 14126 times)

Offline oldmoley

DC40 Not Picking Up Properly
« on: February 17, 2016, 09:48:47 pm »
I've just been asked by a friend to look at her DC40, which is not picking up, particularly light dust and animal hairs. Everything seems to be working OK - there is plenty of suction at the hose, and the brush bar is turning. Are there any known problem areas, or parts of the cleaner that are susceptible to blocking? This will be the first DC40 I've worked on; I'm more familiar with the DC04, 07 and 14 ranges.

Hoping someone can help.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: DC40 Not Picking Up Properly
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:56:21 pm »
tayyab to the curtosey phone!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 10:11:30 pm »
Have you tried unclipping the cleanerhead and checking the pipe and hose behind it for blockages?

Offline oldmoley

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 11:50:38 am »
Hi Russ. Thanks for your reply. Just had everything apart, and not a blockage to be seen! I'm wondering whether there may be a split in one of the internal hoses (nothing obvious to be seen at the moment), or whether the cyclone might be blocked. Is it possible to remove the cyclone?

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 11:54:52 am »
You can remove the cyclone (take it off as if to empty it). Then turn it on whilst removed, and check the suction coming out of the chassis from the motor is nice and strong. If so, your problem is cyclone and beyond. You should hear a difference in motor tone too.

Then, refit the cyclone whilst the machine is running, and you again should hear the pitch change.

Empty the cyclone and check the filter is clean, and try again. If still blocked, your issue is past the cyclone, and indicates a blockage. I've not had a DC40 so cannot comment as to their common issues!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 11:56:33 am »
Hi
I had a Dc40, I would recommend you take the cleaner head off bu taking the red clip off (from underneath) and remove the head.
Then turn the vacuum on and recline it. Is the suction at the front of the vacuum the same as the hose suction? If so, the head is at fault somewhere... Maybe the active base plate has ripped or the soleplate isn't fitted correctly.

If the suction isn't the same at the base as the hose, then I would inspect the tiny hose inside the ball at the back of the vacuum. Remove it  (just pulls out) and check for any blockages

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 11:58:12 am »
PS underneath the bin there is a clear tiny window, flip that up open and check that for blockages too

Offline oldmoley

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 12:28:12 pm »
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments - have the accursed thing apart at the moment, so will report findings shortly!

Offline oldmoley

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:03:04 pm »
Just returned the DC40 to a happy owner. There were no obvious blockages as such, but there was a lot of dust and debris in the cyclone. Probably not enough to have been the only cause of the problem though. I removed the head and stripped and cleaned the assembly, together with the brush bars. Re-assembled, and problem solved! Now enough suction to lift the carpet from the floor.

Once again, many thanks to all who commented. I'm not quite such a DC40 virgin now.......

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 12:02:51 am »
Brilliant! Glad it is working :)

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
    • RustySkull Productions YouTube
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 07:31:03 am »
I was going to say it's all about checking everything... There are only so many air paths and if they're all clear there can be no blockage ;)

Glad it's alive again ;)
If You Like Machines, Radios and Cars As Well As Vacuum Cleaners Then Check Out The Official RustySkull Productions YouTube!
>>>>>>RustySkull Productions YouTube!<<<<<< >>>>>Twitter<<<<<>>>>>Instagram<<<<<

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration