The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC25 brushbar problem  (Read 14161 times)

Offline ade555

DC25 brushbar problem
« on: February 19, 2016, 07:33:01 pm »
Hi

Hoping someone can help me, I purchase used dc25 for not much and was describe as no suction but filters replaced ect., anyway after few min I notice that the brushbar not spinning, striped everything and notice that when you spin the motor with hands at some stage there is click sound, after trying to see inside the motor via vents I notice there is 1mm of copper bit missing, to me looks like I need new motor but also tested PCB output and only showing 160v and not 320 like mentioning in the tutorial I found on here.

What would you do?

Thanks

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
Re: DC25 brushbar problem
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:42:52 pm »
Have you checked the yoke loom as shown here - https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,1670.0.html

A break in the cable could be the culprit for the lower reading.

Worth ruling out before saying it's the pcb

Offline ade555

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:07:00 pm »
I just removed the cover to have a look if there is any visible damage but can't see nothing, will remove the yolk tomorrow completely to inspect anyway, my main concern is the actual damage to the internals of the motor, is there any chance to plug the motor to something to see if will spin at all? 

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:12:50 pm »
If there is a section of the motor missing, I wouldn't even bother plugging it in - it's  :dead-dyson: I'm afraid!

This will help show where the loom normally breaks, so you'd most likely be able to see it just by removing the cover if it was broken - https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC25-Yolk-Loom-Assembly-916190-01.htm?ref=ac

If the brushbar reset switch was dead, you wouln't get a reading on the multimeter so suspect it is the pcb.

Offline ade555

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 08:18:16 pm »
If there is a section of the motor missing, I wouldn't even bother plugging it in - it's  :dead-dyson: I'm afraid!

This will help show where the loom normally breaks, so you'd most likely be able to see it just by removing the cover if it was broken - https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC25-Yolk-Loom-Assembly-916190-01.htm?ref=ac

If the brushbar reset switch was dead, you wouln't get a reading on the multimeter so suspect it is the pcb.

Thanks for your help so far

Just tested feed from yolk switch to head connector pins on bottom, nice 240v power supply, looks like new motor and PCB, oh well buy cheap buy twice  :'(

Offline ade555

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 08:28:15 pm »
little update as I'm not defeated very easily, I actually remove wiring from pcb to motor, and tested on wire end, started up and showing 335v-336v would that rule the pcb out?

another update, got the motor running as the neg wire was a bit loose, motor sparks like hell but it turns so that would rule out the PCB for 100%?

Offline Madrat

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:44:29 pm »
 :thumbsup: yes its just the motor you need, you have been lucky.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:54:20 pm »
Looks like your brushroll motor blew a comm segment out.  I had one the other week that had done that.  It was jammed,  then the comm segment fell out and suddenly it span fine...

New motor,  done! Chuck a new brushroll on now whilst you can combine the postage,  and end cap.  Will transform it mate,  trust me!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline ade555

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:09:28 pm »
Looks like your brushroll motor blew a comm segment out.  I had one the other week that had done that.  It was jammed,  then the comm segment fell out and suddenly it span fine...

New motor,  done! Chuck a new brushroll on now whilst you can combine the postage,  and end cap.  Will transform it mate,  trust me!

I believe the segment is still there by the sound of when I shake the motor. I don't know what the hoover is like as we only have dc08. But it definitely have good suction  :thumbsup:

Offline ade555

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 09:13:36 pm »
:thumbsup: yes its just the motor you need, you have been lucky.

Well not much luck as I was hopping for lot simpler solution as it would turn out to be very good cheap hoover  ;)

Offline Sids Spares

• Vacuumologist
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 09:14:34 pm »
I'd go along with replacing the brushroll and end cap too. I always replace them when doing a refurb.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 09:16:51 pm »
Even with the cost of the motor it will still be cheap!  what are they,  £30? there's a how to somewhere
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 09:55:07 pm »
another update, got the motor running as the neg wire was a bit loose, motor sparks like hell but it turns so that would rule out the PCB for 100%?

Nice result but lucky this didn't blow the pcb  :))

Offline ade555

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 10:20:08 pm »
Been honest only got this because was 5 min from my house and I had my dc08 for 10 years still works like dream then this popped up so why not. After closer inspection now will need some bits sorting out, cyclon seal is bit worn, the valve selector or what ever is called not working as it should once you pull the tube out you need to tap with you foot to close it, spring has fallen out somewhere from pedal release, I'm sure the main motor was exposed to some sort of wet dirty moisture  but it comes with all accessories like the mini turbine head, ect. and it does have brand new filters.

I'm glad I found this forum anyway loads of knowledge on here 

Offline Madrat

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 10:33:09 pm »
All easy to fix, but inspect the pedal and its attachments carefully before you order parts, easy to miss a bit you need.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram