The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: BENCH TESTING MOTORS  (Read 4775 times)

Offline oldmoley

BENCH TESTING MOTORS
« on: February 21, 2016, 06:31:27 pm »
My apologies if I've placed this in the wrong section; admins, please feel free to move if I have. I'm not a qualified electrician and as such, have a VERY healthy respect for mains power! With this in mind, can anyone recommend an effective and safe method of bench testing Dyson motors please? I assume that this can best be achieved by hooking up to a bench power supply, or a Variac, but I'm keen to get things right, and not blow either myself, or the motors up in the process. Any advice on the kit I might need, and the safest method of connection, would be much appreciated.

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
    • RustySkull Productions YouTube
Re: BENCH TESTING MOTORS
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:39:40 pm »
Hmm, probably not correct but I have two methods I have used, one is just get a wire with a plug on the end, and bare wires on the other, attach them to the terminals on the motor and switch it on at the socket.

The other is I have a bench PSU, 12V-240V capable up to 3,000W. I do the same method but attach the wires into the PSU, have a switch on that wire and just attach the wires to the terminals on the Motor.

Not had any issues yet, but I'm not stupid enough to touch the wires while it's live lol. I did how ever get a full shock from a Generator in the summer, Couldn't use my legs for about 2 minutes... It was because the heater I was load testing the Generator with was faulty, and I never grounded the Generator lol.
If You Like Machines, Radios and Cars As Well As Vacuum Cleaners Then Check Out The Official RustySkull Productions YouTube!
>>>>>>RustySkull Productions YouTube!<<<<<< >>>>>Twitter<<<<<>>>>>Instagram<<<<<

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:42:41 pm »
I would do it Rustyskull's way, with the motor connected to the mains cable and switched on at the socket, but Dyson motors are pretty powerful so they will jump once switched on. I would surround it by a few bricks so it won't jump once switched on, or maybe even held by a vice

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 07:44:25 pm »
Well I thought that was common sense lol, I put a towel on the vice and use that, or if I'm somewhere that hasn't got a Vice, a lump of wood, or anything to hold it steady works fine.
If You Like Machines, Radios and Cars As Well As Vacuum Cleaners Then Check Out The Official RustySkull Productions YouTube!
>>>>>>RustySkull Productions YouTube!<<<<<< >>>>>Twitter<<<<<>>>>>Instagram<<<<<

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 07:50:43 pm »
What he said ^ :thumbsup: Rusty ;D

Offline Madrat

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 07:59:17 pm »
one is just get a wire with a plug on the end, and bare wires on the other, attach them to the terminals on the motor and switch it on at the socket.

Thats how I do it, with the motor hafe in a motor bucket wedged up a corner with my foot. 

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 08:08:42 pm »
Sorted ;)

Offline Dyson2000

• Dyson Restorer and Collector!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 08:07:45 pm »
The way that I do it, Stick it into a vice for something to keep it still, recommend a good heavy duty one!, run about a million feet way from it and plug it in. that's what i do  :thumbsup:

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 08:28:22 pm »
What's the worst that can happen... You die... But by then you won't know so what you don't know can't hurt you.

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration