The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Premiere Mini 175 - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 7692 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Premiere Mini 175 - Stripdown and Refurb
« on: May 04, 2016, 10:42:07 pm »
I've made a new contact, some guy locally does clearances, and I had a few machines from him (A nice DC07 Animal, already sold) and 2 of these

The Premiere Mini 175. I got 2, but the more battered one of the two expired shortly afterwards with worn carbons. I only paid £5 each, so not too upset, and I may be able to fix it. But I concentrated on the good one first

The cord storage is on the top, with 2 hooks that rotate under the handle to release the cord

There was a big sticker on the top, which left a bit of residue when peeled off

A bit of WD40 soon cleared it

The top unclips, and 2 screws can be seen

Once unscrewed the handle falls off

The rotating tabs are tensioned with a spring and ball bearing

The hose entry port screws on from inside the machine

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Premiere Mini 175 - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:48:48 pm »

A rubber gasket sits inbetween the hose port and chassis to create the seal

This old pat test sticker came off

and the other contractor sticker, the same one was on the top

Gone

Time to turn it upside down

The bumper peels off

to reveal 4 bolts

The appropriate size socket was found

Off they came

and the motor housing lifts off
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:56:16 pm »

All the wheels unbolt from the base with a 13mm socket

Shows the parts per wheel, nice BIG chunky washers

The first of much sound deadening lifts off

to reveal the motor

Let's get the cord off first.

The cord entry assembly is held in with a screw

Once removed, the cord is held further in by a plastic peg, this is removed by slightly screwing the screw in the other end, and pulling very hard

The cord can now be removed from the relief assembly

With the cord out of the way, the contact blocks prise out of the plastic housing

The rest of the cord stain relief has to stay put for now

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 11:03:16 pm »

Motor time now. Unplug all the wires, remove the screws and remove the cable clips. This releases the motor as well

Rubbers and top frame removed

It's a Lamb job, stunningly similar to a numatic Henry/MTR299 motor

Empty

I unscrewed the switch here, that sits behind the switch foot pedal

I mainly removed the switch as I didn't realise the sound deadening pulled off the switch...

4 13mm bolts now

which once removed split the whole thing. They sit in captive nuts inside the (heavy) plate that sits inside the bag compartment

With the bolts and plastic spacers removed, the cord strain spring and switch pedal also come away, as their bolted through with the bolts

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 11:11:24 pm »

The last thing left are 4 plastic standoffs, that the motor retaining clamp screws into. These are a pain to remove, they must have been assembled in some sort of jig at the factory, but off they came

The last thing to do on this machine was chop the plug off

as it was broken

Can't have that!

Everything was washed, dried and polished, and earlier I re-assembled it!

These horrible things were first to go in, a combination of holding them by hand and winding the fat screws in 3/4 of the way, then holding them steady with an adjustable spanner for the last 1/4 did it

Fitted

I screwed the switch in whilst it was clear, the switch only has 2 threaded holes, the other 2 are blanks

and bolted everything together. It's quite hard to do it and take pics of the steps, but once one bolt went in, the rest followed. Do the 2 side ones first but don't nip them up, then fit the front one with switch pedal, and rear one with cord strain spring and wind them tight

Motor and sound deadening dropped in

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 11:18:03 pm »

Cord run through the strain relief first (yep, I did not do this initially), then feed the cable through the machine, then through the cord clamp assembly, slide the rubber sleeve over and through, then push the retaining block in, and screw it all home to pull it together (the cord clamp pulls tight with the screw wound up)

Wheel stubs bolted in, the stubs have flats to hold them with a spanner to nip the bolts up

Wheels popped on

Hose entry port fitted

I thought I had a picture of this before I washed it, but just imagine a dark brown, heavily clogged filter. And now it's 100% cleaned, and only 4% stained

Henry bags fit, so I fitted a nice hepaflo bag, and popped a spare in too

Top handle put together

and screwed onto the lid

And that, for now, is that! I need to pop a plug on and test it still works, then grab some tools for it. Then sell it!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 08:59:25 pm »
So, when I got home, I found a nice black plug and fitted it. This confirmed it worked very well, with suction to rival Henry.

Into the shed we went to find the new pack of tools I had bought for Bertie, but Bertie is still broken, so they can be used for this

The brightwork came up very well with a good ciffing, then a good going over with metal polish

I may have sold it already, but I'll give them until the end of the weekend and onto facebook it goes!

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram