The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC14 Animal - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 24615 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Dyson DC14 Animal - Stripdown and Refurb
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:33:13 pm »
In an incredible stroke of luck I got given this for free! All I had to do was battle rush hour traffic one evening after work, although to be fair the bloke who gave it to me came 10 miles out of his way so we could meet in the middle, so all was fair in the end!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

It worked very well tbh, and came with a smeg load of tools

but for this teardown, I'll be concentrating on the main machine.

First off was the hose so I could get a wash on!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

It was suitably grubby, and our old friend plaster dust pops up to say hello at this early stage!

ila_rendered

It's not all bad news though as the pre motor filter looks like this, into the washing machine they go, with a load of other towels, cloths and filters!

Wand off first

ila_rendered

The release button pops off easily, and the spring pulls off whatever side it remains attached to

ila_rendered

The wand cap comes off too

ila_rendered

Tools is tools, and just got popped into the wash box

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson DC14 Animal - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 07:36:48 pm »
ila_rendered

Cyclone off and popped to one side

ila_rendered

Cable first, remove the two screws at the back of the machine

ila_rendered

and carefully push the two tabs back

ila_rendered

This releases the top of the switch housing

ila_rendered

Which then just pulls off

ila_rendered

You should be greeted with this

ila_rendered

The switch and wires pull gently out

ila_rendered

The neutral sits inside a protective box

ila_rendered

and once removed, and the protective cap removed from the live wire, the spinal cord pulls put of the top of the chassis

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 07:44:22 pm »
ila_rendered

I remove the spring from the cyclone clip, but leave the actual clip on as it's an arse to remove and refit

ila_rendered

Remove the two seals from the chassis. This one was slightly glued on, but removes easily enough (and doesnt need to be glued)

ila_rendered

Up top is now done! Move down and remove the post motor filter cover

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

and remove the post motor filter. This was surprisingly clean, this machine has obviously been loved, I;ve seen them blacker than hell before

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Next, remove the diffuser that sits below the filter

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Be careful not to drop the screw inside, which I did do, but at least doing it now is better than doing it when it's all going back together  :underchair:

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 08:11:14 pm »
ila_rendered

Remove the changeover valve blockage port thing

ila_rendered

If you squeeze the sides as shown, the tabs should clear just enough to pull the bottom part off

ila_rendered

Like so

ila_rendered

The seal at the bottom pulls off this part

ila_rendered

Being a DC07 in drag, the pre motor filter doesn't sit under here, and you'll need a screwdriver to pop the cover off

ila_rendered

The release valve doesn't sit here either, so no faffing about with that (yet)

ila_rendered

Let's pop this seal off now whilst we are in macro mode

ila_rendered

Next, recline the machine like so

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 08:15:40 pm »
and pop the clutch knob off. Lever it at the top and bottom, and it will crack off

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Then, turn her over (oo-er)

ila_rendered

Ooooh yummy (not really looked under here until now...)

ila_rendered

Remove the wand suction channel

ila_rendered

and I always twist the catch off to wash

ila_rendered

Next, twist the catches and remove the base plate

ila_rendered

Pop the wheels off. If these are seized, you may be able to clean the tiny axles up with a bit of wire wool, or replacement wheels are nice and cheap if they have seized and worn right down.

ila_rendered

The edge cleaning brushes slide out with some help from some pliers

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:20:04 pm »
I remove the front soleplate seal, as I don't wash them, their fragile and proper hard to get hold of on their own

ila_rendered

They also hold lots of fluff

ila_rendered

Baseplate stripped, grab your belt lifter (you do have a belt lifter don't you? If not, good luck  :thumbsup:) and lift the belt

ila_rendered

and pop the brushroll out

ila_rendered

Pull and twist at the end caps, and one will come off

ila_rendered

The axle will withdraw now, and the other cap can be twisted off with something holding the bar still

ila_rendered

Pop the bearings out by inserting the very tip of the bar into one and levering it out (it may fly out, it may not)

ila_rendered

Grab a sharp knife and clean the brushroll up now

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 08:30:13 pm »
Next, lay the machine like so

ila_rendered

and remove the seal that mates with the wand suction channel and the internal hose from the bottom of the changeover valve

ila_rendered

Mvacs don't like this method, but I find it always works, so YMMV, but gently twist the brushroll housing forward and lever out at the very edges like so

ila_rendered

Twist the internal hose off and examine it. If it's as floppy as one would be after 17 pints, look here https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC07-spares.html/DC04-DC07-DC14-DC33-internal-hose, otherwise chuck it in the washing box. This is what pushes the brushroll into the carpet and provides yer grooming action (and not in a Rolf Harris kind of way), so it needs to be stiff (I'll stop now)  :king:

ila_rendered

I'm not sure what this bit here is, but remove it anyway, as it hides fluff like Cliff Richard hides the evidence.

Next, we need to get the clutch out. You need a long (10cm minimum) driver for this, as the back one is quite buried, and it's held in by the surrounding plastics too much to just give it a kicking to release

ila_rendered

The front two are more readily accessible

ila_rendered

Lift the clutch cover up, and pull forwards

ila_rendered

I remove the little belt guide, but it's not fully needed

ila_rendered

Lift the motor-clutch belt off the spindle, there is enough give in the body plastic that stops you doing this to push it back a bit to slip the belt off

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 08:51:24 pm »
Next, grab both belts and pull hard. With any luck you wont smack yourself in the knuckle

ila_rendered

and the clutch is out!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Next, pop the retaining circlips off the cleaner head

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Lay the cleaner like so

ila_rendered

Put your fingers behind the pivot points and pull them out, and lift the head off the chassis

ila_rendered

If the machine has been hard to recline, check the condition of this wheel, they can seize up, if so pop it out, clean it all out and refit

ila_rendered

Let's start on the changeover valve now.=, and the lock assembly. Push the two tabs in like so, one this side, one that

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 08:56:37 pm »
Remove the spring

ila_rendered

Remove the seal

ila_rendered

This next bit is a bit tricky, you need to pop the changeover valve bottom plate up a tad, but it won't unclip yet

ila_rendered

Pull the ring piece (fnarr) away from the chassis

ila_rendered

Then, gently prod the 2 fixing tabs on the bottom plate until they release, whilst pulling the ring away from the chassis, and eventually it'll do this

ila_rendered

The base plate will still not come out though, so slide the changeover piece off

ila_rendered

Then remove the plate, with a bit of jiggling so the 2 suction outlets clear the chassis

Wheels now! Remove a glamour cap on one side

ila_rendered

and pop the circlip off

ila_rendered

lift the wheel off

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 09:01:36 pm »
remove the washer

ila_rendered

Pull the other wheel and axle out

ila_rendered

Retrieve the washer, then hold the wheel and give it a sharp tap on the ground to pop the other glamour cap off

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Done! Now time for the motor. Screw here

ila_rendered

Here

ila_rendered

here and here

ila_rendered

This should then fall off

ila_rendered

and all you need to do is pull the spinal cord out of the chassis

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 09:05:34 pm »
But the chassis isn't finished yet. Undo this screw

ila_rendered

which releases the little elbow

ila_rendered

You don't need to do this, but I have, rest your driver on the back of the not-the-filter-housing clip

ila_rendered

and give it a hard smack

ila_rendered

The crevice tool clip also pops out of it's little house

ila_rendered

and the chassis is done

ila_rendered

and filthy

ila_rendered

Motor now

ila_rendered

Pull the corners of the cover apart and lift it off the motor housing

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 09:11:47 pm »
Pop the tabs that hold the side of the housing on

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

This can be full of hair and crap here, this one is quite clean

ila_rendered

Push the cable grommit into the housing

ila_rendered

and position the housing onto the belt spindle and (carefully so you dont chew the belt spindle up) push down on the whole thing to push the motor up, then grab and pull!

ila_rendered

This is normal to see

ila_rendered

Remove the motor rubbers

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The armature doesn't look too bad

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 09:16:47 pm »
But the fan is full of plaster dust, so let's have it off!

Gently tap around the fan case, until the case sits flush with the motor, then it should pull off

ila_rendered

Hold the fan with one hand, and crack the nut off anti clockwise with a 10mm socket

ila_rendered

You'll get the nut, washer and fan off

ila_rendered

Under this is a washer and spacer

ila_rendered

then, undo the 2 screws and lift the backing piece off

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

I'll not go any further, as the bearings on the motor are fine, and the rest will come off with a good vacuum cleaner and small brush.

I'm not sure how well this captures it but the plaster dust buildup on the fans will cause it to run off balance and kill the suction

ila_rendered

Either way, cyclone now!!

ila_rendered

First, empty it if needed

ila_rendered

and leave the flap open

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 09:20:42 pm »
ila_rendered

Remove the bin from the cyclone

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Hold the bin under your arm so the flap hinge is at the bottom, squeeze and pull the flap off

ila_rendered

Remove the seal

ila_rendered

The bin release rod does come out of the bin, you can either squeeze teh tiny tabs that sit just inside the little handle, or give it a smack with the screwdriver...

ila_rendered

Next, open the filter housing

ila_rendered

and pop the cover off that

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 09:26:44 pm »
Undo the screw at the back of the handle, but keep your thumb over the release valve clamp

ila_rendered

as it will do this when the screw is out

ila_rendered

The release valve can now come out

ila_rendered

the other screw holds the other end of the handle on

ila_rendered

once removed the handle lifts off, and the front clip needs persuasion to clear the front

ila_rendered

There's a spring that sits over the tip top of the release rod assembly

ila_rendered

The top part is removed from the handle by carefully inserting a screwdriver like so

ila_rendered

and then even more carefully pulling it sharply upwards until the red part snaps out of the handle

ila_rendered

There's another spring that sits over the rod this side too

Next, remove the lower cone, to make the whole thing sit easier. Carefully pull the shroud back right by one of the clips with one hand, and push down on the cone with the other. In a cloud of dust, the clip should pop out

ila_rendered

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration