The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Loss of suction ?  (Read 5309 times)

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
Loss of suction ?
« on: May 18, 2016, 02:07:03 am »
My mother has the DC04 the silver and green one is that one called lime.  Any, I did not feel it was much of good suction so I took the brush roll off and then turned it on to feel the suction where the pipe goes to the cyclone bin. And it did not feel to good compared the my DC07 . I have cleaned and checked everything and there is no blockages. Is this just because of it being an old motor and needs replacing or could it be something else. I can't seem to figure out why it may have not so good suction. Thanks

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Re: Loss of suction ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 02:23:31 pm »
Is the suction the same at the hose?
Also try washing the pre motor filter. IT's in the cyclone unit. Remove the cyclone and at the front end of the handle there's a grey clip and that opens up the lid. There is a yellow filter with a blue sponge but yours may not look blue if it's really dusty. Wash the yellow case as well and leave them to dry and then put hem back into the machine

Hope this helps

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 03:14:48 pm »
Is the suction the same at the hose?
Also try washing the pre motor filter. IT's in the cyclone unit. Remove the cyclone and at the front end of the handle there's a grey clip and that opens up the lid. There is a yellow filter with a blue sponge but yours may not look blue if it's really dusty. Wash the yellow case as well and leave them to dry and then put hem back into the machine

Hope this helps

I was thinking that and have done so I will check it out. Thanks for telling me about the DC19 also. The wand is broken on the hose so I do think that is why bad suction but the bottom suction is not so good.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 03:57:21 pm »
No problem, it's just what we're here for ;)
Do you mean the DC04 hose is broken? If so, yes sucion can leak. I recommend removing the side valve pipe and see if the suction is still the same. If so, then it's either a clogged shroud, filter blocked or a clog in the ducting

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 04:44:57 pm »
Do you mean the DC04 hose is broken? If so, yes sucion can leak. I recommend removing the side valve pipe and see if the suction is still the same. If so, then it's either a clogged shroud, filter blocked or a clog in the ducting

Oh thanks :) Yh the hose is broken and I will check if the side valve pipe is got any good thanks for that idea.

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:21:17 pm »

Did not realize I have never checked on my mums Dyson before. I opened up the post motor filter and oh my gosh it is very dirty color. It looks like it is from the motor brushes. Do you think I should open the motor up and take a look to see if they need replacing. Thanks

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 07:26:33 pm »
Dyson vacuums shed carbon dust and it's normal. he older the vacuum, the dirtier the post filter would be if it's not been checked. The motor is most likely fine and knowing it's a DC04 I am 99% sure the vacuums is in perfect working order

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 07:42:54 pm »
Dyson vacuums shed carbon dust and it's normal. he older the vacuum, the dirtier the post filter would be if it's not been checked. The motor is most likely fine and knowing it's a DC04 I am 99% sure the vacuums is in perfect working order

Oh thanks then. I will just change both filters whilst I am at it then. got them coming tomorrow. Thanks.

I may have to buy a new hose for the wand as it is not at all picking anything up. Thanks

DC04 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration