The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson recommendation?  (Read 14067 times)

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Dyson recommendation?
« on: May 21, 2016, 07:04:43 pm »
I know it's odd for me to ask this but I keep having different thoughts.

So my neighbour has a DC33 (4 years old owned from new) and it's had a new motor,new hose, new wand, new internal hose, 3 or 4 cable repairs, snapped chassis because it's flexible, loss of suction LOADS of times cos of the filters always blocking up and the brushbar has to be cleaned out because it gets wrapped in hair because they are a LARGE family.

The house & family: The house is a victorian terraced, so quite big and has 3 storeys & 5 bedrooms, mixed flooring (wall to wall carpet, there's a textured rug too which the DC33 does good at as well. Tile flooring throughout the rest of the downstairs except the living room.

They have kids and vacuum like 3 or 4 times a day so the DC33 gets put through it's paces pretty much so it's knackered, that's like 10 years of use in an average home maybe?

Their new vacuum must be a Dyson but I'm not sure which.

***###SO###***

I was thinking DC14 Origin (late model) because it's durable and has a round brushroll and it seems perfect for their house, BUT it's non clutched so won't be good for their tile flooring  :'(
A clutched Dyson can't cope because he helix brushbars get tangled in hair too easy.

I was thinking of a DC41/75 because they are good but I'm worried about the reliability and maybe because it's a ball so they might not be able to figure out how to use it? Most people use their arm to change direction cos it's awkward...

DC25 would be crap cos a DC33 cleans better and has more suction and DC25's have a brush motor which always blows up

Or maybe a DC54 Cinetic or DC39? They have really good cyclones and the filters hardly get dirty on them, but I'm not sure how they will cope. With my DC33 the filter gets dirty after a week.

I really don't know what vacuum would be best for them...

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 07:12:27 pm »
Id go for a 14, stronger and more robust than a 33.

Thrn refurb and sell their 33 for them!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 07:16:18 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Would they consider a sebo? :underchair:

I don't think the cylinders would be good, those brushbars tangle worse than the helix ones. And I don't know how well a new ball machine would hold up in that environment. Quite the conundrum!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 07:18:54 pm »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Would they consider a sebo? :underchair:

I don't think the cylinders would be good, those brushbars tangle worse than the helix ones. And I don't know how well a new ball machine would hold up in that environment. Quite the conundrum!

Dyson only lol

If only the DC14 Origin had rollers on the soleplate that would be perfect!  :'(

But DC14's can easily blow up aswell...  :'(

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 07:19:57 pm »
Id go for a 14, stronger and more robust than a 33.

Thrn refurb and sell their 33 for them!

I know bu the DC14 origin on their tile floors is a bit off lol
And a clutched DC14 would need the brushbar constantly cleaning :|

Is there clutched round brushes available? I swear I seen them before

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 07:23:20 pm »

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 10:08:33 pm »
Actually, What if the DC14 Origin has a brand new latest style soleplate? Because they have struts which stick out as well so it won't seal to the floor. Would it be fine on tiles? I believe it will still pick up and not scatter. If it works find on hard floors then perfect!

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 10:23:38 pm »
Won't the soleplate wear down quickly?

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 10:31:22 pm »
Ugh, good point :|
But tiles are smooth so it won't wear down? I think it's rough flooring like stone etc

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 10:38:26 pm »
It may wear down less quickly, but I think it still will more quickly than a clutched bottom plate.  :grinn:

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 12:42:14 am »
True :'(
Gosh, I thought there was a Dyson for everyone, there probably is but IDK I'm stressed

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 01:10:08 am »
Well, they need something powerful, robust, and without a helix brushbar. How about a dc03?  :biglaugh:

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 01:53:26 am »
Well, they need something powerful, robust, and without a helix brushbar. How about a dc03?  :biglaugh:

LOL  :chuckle: :biglaugh:
That's perfect! but it might blow up after two uses :/

Anyway
I think I have decided! DC14 clutched maybe, I dunno but I *think* they might be alright with clearing the brushbar often if the rest of the machine is wonderfully improved vs the crappy DC33? ;D :icon_nod:

Just gotta ask them what colour Dyson they want now ;D

PS a Dyson engineer is coming to their house to replace the snapped chassis in a few days (not surprised, when I use our DC33 the wand bends forwards slightly! Whereas the DC14 has a proper spine which is an aluminium wand.

If you were to get a red hot sword and cut through a DC33 you can. Not with a DC14 because of a metal wand

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 01:59:35 am »
I think that is the best solution. Either that or get a new ball machine with a full guarantee.
Aren't you up a bit late? Lol

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 02:09:26 am »
I think that is the best solution. Either that or get a new ball machine with a full guarantee.
Aren't you up a bit late? Lol

I am up late lol :P It's 2:09 AM
You're right about a brand new Dyson, the 5 year guarantee is good and promising, but they are like £450 now but still with a 5 year guarantee.

I noticed that the DC41 feels more durable than the DC33 believe it or not. The DC33 (when used as a main vacuum) flexes forwards with the wand when pushing it, the DC41 doesn't  :duh: So the DC33's are horrible, shame because I like the looks of the DC33 (kinda).

It's just that if they buy a new DC41 and hate that aswell because the ball is awkward or something, then uh oh... (should have gone for a DC14). But if they get a DC14 and it blows up then Uh oh... (should have got a DC41 with 5 year guaranete)

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration