The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dc25 replacment  (Read 8069 times)

Offline renault567

• Restorer/Collector of vacuum cleaners
Dc25 replacment
« on: June 04, 2016, 11:31:29 am »
I am thinking of getting an 04 silver lime to take over the duties of my dc25. However I am unsure weather to get a dc14 instead, but I would go for the non clutch regardless. We live in a 3 bed house with all carpet upstairs and laminate dining and conservatory downstairs. My 04 absolute managed this no problem and want another dc04.

Can anyone help make up my mind?

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Re: Dc25 replacment
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 02:51:43 pm »
The DC14 is much better than an 04 for the following reasons;

-Better wand setup (more comfortable and the handle isn't at the end of the wand like a DC04)

-Larger pre filter captures more allergens and should have longer lasting suction vs the smaller Dc04 filter

-Dc04  cyclones are not as efficient as DC14 ones,  I can guarantee you that after fitting brand new filters to a DC04 and using it for a week, there will be some dust on the filter. A DC14's pre filter stays cleaner for longer

-Dc14's are much more powerful and robust. How many cracked parts do you see on an old DC04 vs an old DC14? DC14's can take a good pounding. If there's anything to go wrong with them it's either a ripped hose, cracked chassis, cracked cleaner head which is unlikely.

A DC04 is prone to wands snapping if knocked over, wand caps being annoying  if using the wand without tools, thinner ducting so more likely to get clogged and less airflow. Dc04 plastic is also more fragile than on DC14's due to being earlier models and the cyclone handles can also break especially on early British models. If it's a 2004/05 Dc04  then durability shouldn't be an issue.

A DC14 is a better machine overall in every single way. I can't fault a DC14. The only thing I dislike is the crevice tool which has a bend in i but then again it can be useful for awkward gaps in a car or something. It has a large hole as well which is good for airflow. Crevice tools concenttrate the suction so this is good. You can always tape it up as well if you like.

DC14's are easier to service and quicker as well believe it or not. 6 screws and your already into the motor on a non cluched (3 extra on a clutched) and a DC04 has 8 screws for the motor housing alone! Plus 2 for the diffuser

Well I'm going over the top so I will hush for now :)

Offline Madrat

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 11:19:16 pm »
What he said

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 11:40:27 pm »
I agree the dc14 is brilliant, and objectively better than the dc04. But another important aspect is your enjoyment of the machine.
If you want the best machine go for the dc14, but if having a dc04 would be better for you that is what I would recommend. A vacuum does no good sitting in a closet, so if you would be more inclined to use a dc04 that would overall do a better job.

I may just be talking nonsense, but oh well.  :grinn: Just a thought.
Good luck deciding.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 01:23:30 am »
I totally agree with Dyson DC16 :) No nonsense said at all lol

The only other benefit I can think of for the DC04 over the DC14 is the bin capacity and the noise level but that's only a slight difference :thumbsup:

Offline renault567

• Restorer/Collector of vacuum cleaners
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 03:41:02 pm »
Tried to get an 04/14 yesterday at the car boot. Managed to get an 07 allergy purple 2001 model for £10. It is a minter as it is with a new bin hose and all tools.

Also got an 08 standard non wrap with turbo brush for a tenner too, it however was a right wreck but after yesterday's heat I cleaned it and is ready for reassembly. May use this for A while before selling it and got all the small tools and holder for 15 quid too.

Commence the vacuuming!!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 04:09:16 pm »
I still think the 07 has the best wand arrangement as its reversible.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 04:21:35 pm »
I prefer the 14 wand, quicker and if the end wears down its replacable

Also for car vacuuming its more convenient on the vac rather than on the wand 😊

Offline Madrat

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 05:16:45 pm »
The wand is totally removable on the 07 the same as all dysons.

Offline Madrat

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 05:17:36 pm »
Replacing the end cuff on later dc14s is a royal pain.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 05:47:03 pm »
Replacing the end cuff on later dc14s is a royal pain.

True

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram