The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Is there a spring in the Dyson DC35 assembly bin?  (Read 7448 times)

Offline Ricardo1980

Is there a spring in the Dyson DC35 assembly bin?
« on: June 19, 2016, 11:42:28 pm »
Hello!
I think my Dyson DC35 is broken, but I'm not sure about that.
It seems there is a valve in the assembly bin.
I guess that valve should be close automatically using a spring or something, but in my case sometimes is open, sometimes is closed. Evidently, if it is open, dust could escape.
Please see attached pictures.
Can you confirm that checking your own DC35?
If it is broken, is there an easy way to fix it or do I have to buy an assembly bin? (I see it is 25 pounds)
Thanks a lot.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Re: Is there a spring in the Dyson DC35 assembly bin?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 02:19:02 am »
Hi Ricardo1980 :tiphat: welcome to the site.

That black flap is designed to stop dirt falling out of the machine when tilted downwards. This valve should close and thus the dirt can't escape. There isn't any spring for it and your machine is perfectly fine :thumbsup:

I owned a DC34 (purple version of the DC35) and it is exactly the same, just the way it has been designed ;)

Hope this helps

Offline Ricardo1980

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:44:03 pm »
Thanks Parwaz7862 for reply and welcome!
I really like my new Dyson, first time I have one.

About the flap, the behaviour you describe is weird for me. I mean, if I let the vacuum cleaner horizontally (I use to do that), then very often the flap stays open, and I think that is not normal, because dust or bugs could escape from the assembly bin (it should be hermetic).

Anyway, if you confirm there is no spring, I believe you, it's ok, I will not buy a spare part.

Thanks a lot.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:20:37 pm »
You're welcome ;) if you ever need any Dyson help and advice in the future we are always here

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:57:46 pm »
because dust or bugs could escape from the assembly bin (it should be hermetic).

How do you empty it then? Loads of dust and bugs escape then!

I suspect that the part was originally designed so the rubber itself would act as a spring, and flap back, but with use, dust and dirt stops doing that. It could be worth emailing Dyson to see if an improved part is in production, or see if they can confirm that the flap itself should spring shut somehow? On lots of early 1990's cleaners there was a rubber flap at the back of the hose entry port, that were supposed to flap back when the machine turned off, but after much use the suction deformed the rubber so it just hung open all the time, and it got so battered by dust and debris that the angle it sat on changed.

Sounds like having a spring behind it would have been a good idea, but if Tayyab says there wasn't a spring, then there probably wasn't! On the dustbags for my Miele S5 the bags have a flap on them, controlled by a little metal strip of metal so they close up after use, but in practice they never fully do, and you get a little pooft of dust if you're not careful removing the bag. And if the bag is rammed full, the flap is caught up in the dirt and held open anyway
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 06:42:42 pm »
Its hard plastic no rubber, well it is in my dc30.  No dyson is "sealed"

As Parwaz7862 said the flap is there because all handhelds after the dc16 were designed to be stored with the nozle at the bottom, so the flap it there to stop bits dropping out the bin.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration