The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC23 - Stripdown and Refurb (and turbo tool repair)  (Read 43852 times)

Offline Nats

Re: Dyson DC23 - Stripdown and Refurb (and turbo tool repair)
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 08:08:57 pm »

(Attachment Link)

The bottom flap is removed from the bin

Hi beko1987, thank you so much for such an informative thread! I need to replace the bottom flap from the bin (trying to avoid paying for replacement of both), but since it's hard plastic I am worried about breaking that 'hinge' part. Would you mind sharing what you used to remove the flap? and is it easy to just press it back in? Thanks a million in advance.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 08:22:37 pm »
Hi Nats. Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

The trick to remove a bottom flap from a dyson bin is to hold the bin under your arm, bear hug it, try to break its neck sort of thing. Keep the hinge at the top. The flap has 2 lugs that sit in 2 holes on the bin, if you squeeze the bin fairly hard it pulls the holes apart slightly, enabling you to twist the bin flap up, one lug out and off it comes. Might be easier with it infront of you!

To replace it, pretty much the same again. Pop one lug into 1 hole, then squeeze and push the other flap lug onto the hole, and with the right amount of squeeze the lug should pop in!

Good luck!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Nats

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 08:31:20 pm »
Brilliant, I would have never figured it out myself! Thank you thank you thank you :-)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2017, 08:32:24 pm »
Any time, good luck! Maybe try it before you order just a flap just in case!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline twocheeks

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 09:52:53 am »
Hi beko, i have a dc23 at the moment that i took in part-ex, the red release rod is snapped and am wondering where i could source one from, other than that is their anyone on here that might have one lying around for some beer tokens.
thanks twocheeks (dave)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 10:43:05 am »
Your best bet is from a scrapper, or see if Claire at mvacs can source a new one for you!

Offline Intestinalworm

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2017, 07:47:06 am »
Hi, removed the motor on the DC23 (four machine screws - Torx 10) from the motor housing behind the cord reel.  These screws hold the bucket with the motor onto the DC23 body - they screw directly into the plastic body and can be seen in the DC23 strip-down by beko1987.

Problem is, I have the new motor to install but I lost one of the Torx 10 machine screws.  Does anyone know the exact spec on these machine screws so I can buy one to replace the one I have lost?

Hopefully I can get hold of one fairly easily.

Kind regards, Paul.

Offline Dysonboy

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2017, 04:33:45 pm »
Hi, removed the motor on the DC23 (four machine screws - Torx 10) from the motor housing behind the cord reel.  These screws hold the bucket with the motor onto the DC23 body - they screw directly into the plastic body and can be seen in the DC23 strip-down by beko1987.

Problem is, I have the new motor to install but I lost one of the Torx 10 machine screws.  Does anyone know the exact spec on these machine screws so I can buy one to replace the one I have lost?

Hopefully I can get hold of one fairly easily.

Kind regards, Paul.
T10! Thats a bit small for a dyson! T15 is usual, T10 are tiny and such are used in clutches in uprights only as far as I was aware. Are you sure they arnt T15, Ive known some of my screwedrivers in the past to be labeled smaller then they are. if they are t15 they should just be generic between most dysons.
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

Offline bluebumble485

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2017, 08:56:19 pm »
if you look on ebay you can get a fairly cheap full set they allways come in handy on dysons

Offline Intestinalworm

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2017, 01:56:39 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll have a look on ebay. :tiphat:

I attached two photos:

First photo shows the Torx 10 machine screw (I need to find one of these to replace the one I lost) - four of these screws secure the bucket/motor to the DC23 vac plastic body.

Second photo shows the smaller Torx 10 machine screw mentioned above against the larger Torx 15 screw.  I mistakenly bought Torx 15 screws from Man Vacs thinking that was the one I needed (I now have plenty of Torx 15 screws!!!). :'(

The screw head diameter looks like 5mm and the body length looks like 12mm (overall length of 13.5mm) and it is most definitely Torx 10; the screw pitch is hard to tell (much finer than the Torx 15 screws I got from Man Vacs) but guessing 0.5mm.

Not sure what I'm after?  Is it "Pan head stainless steel Torx 10, M5 x 12 with 0.5 pitch"? :thumbsup:

Bloody fasteners - if we had a world-wide order (dictatorship), at least we wouldn't have to worry about the range of fasteners - a dictatorship would bring back some standardisation! :angryman:   

Wish there was a Dyson parts spec and I could confidently look for the exact replacement screw? :icon_nod:

Offline Intestinalworm

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2017, 02:28:34 am »
Geez, didn't think this would be so difficult. :'(

Checked ebay and reckon I'm looking for M6 x 12mm Torx 10 ((pan head) machine screw)?  Tried several combos but can't seem to crack it - nothing quite fits the bill - haven't even got around to minimum quantities and/or price.

Ah, bugger! :'(  Stuck with a new motor and HEPA filter for my DC23 that I currently can't install because I'm missing a screw (have three but need four)...

Offline Intestinalworm

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2017, 02:34:50 am »
Found this - looks right I think (not sure if it's Torx 10, doesn't say - guess that doesn't matter: diameter, pitch and length are more important):

https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/M6-x-1-0-Torx-Pan-Head-Machine-Screw-Metric-A2-SS-p/1099-010.htm

Problem is I'm in Australia and they're in New York!  Would have thought there would be something on ebay???  Will keep trying!

If anyone can help that would be great otherwise I'll persevere!  It's always the little things that put up the road-blocks eh?

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2017, 05:01:11 am »
Is it just one screw your missing? Could try a nice bead of adhesive sealent (tiger seal here in the uk, but any car type sump/body adhesive may work) around the motor bucket mating face then put the other 2 screws in?

You might even get away with just 3 screws

Failing that, take a drive out with one of the screws and find an old school hardware shop where the owner knows what he's doing and see if he can match it? I'm sure the receiving thread would rents itself with another pitch if thread if needed, and if you can't get the exact length just buy a junior hacksaw whilst your there?

Offline Intestinalworm

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2017, 06:18:25 am »
Thanks beko1987 and everyone else who replied!

I think I found one (?):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Dyson-DC23-T2i-DC32-Animal-Vacuum-3mm-x-12mm-T10-Screw-914426-02-m3x12-/201644387744?hash=item2ef2f12da0:g:xaoAAOSwgZ1XrVKr

Genuine Dyson DC23 T2i DC32 Animal Vacuum 3mm x 12mm T10 Screw 914426-02 m3x12

Looks like M3 rather than M5 (which is what I originally thought)!

ON SALE for $7.92!!!  Lot of money for a screw though!

Also found one here:

http://dysonvacuumspares.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=88&product_id=1125

Dyson DC23 Screw M3X12-T10, Part, 914426-02

This one is British Pounds 3.99!  Again, a lot of money for a bloody screw!

Offline GeorgeJ

• English? I'm never going to England!
    • Some dirty pics ;)
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2017, 03:49:49 pm »
I'd follow Beko's advice.  See if it will get a solid seal with only 3... if not, find another screw and tap the hole to it.  I wouldn't spend $8 on a screw.  Those are aviation prices  :))
You miss 100% of the Dysons you don't buy.  -Wayne Gretzky
 -Michael Scott  -GeorgeJ

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration