The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC23 - Stripdown and Refurb (and turbo tool repair)  (Read 13801 times)

Offline Intestinalworm

Re: Dyson DC23 - Stripdown and Refurb (and turbo tool repair)
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 04:39:13 AM »
Anyway, Dyson DC23 is 100% (has been for a while now), works like a treat, so thought I'd just come back and "finish things off" as far as the forum goes.  Has a new motor that I fitted and a new HEPA filter (bought from Man Vacs - even with shipping costs it was cheaper than what was available in Australia).  Stripped down everything on the DC23 as per Beko's excellent tear-down description.  Found a T10 machine screw for the plastic motor shroud (black bin) - got a whole packet in fact for just $3 from a large hardware chain - not too difficult in the end when you determine exactly what you're looking for (could sell the rest of the machine screws in the packet for a bloody mint on ebay but won't do that!).  I did use a dab of "JB Weld" on the inside of the T10 machine screw for a bit of extra hold - motor held in place in the black bin with four machine screws and a little JB Weld and won't budge.

I got the old machine screw (had its head sheared off - too much torque when tightening- use a torx screwdriver, rather than a torx bit and a rachet!) out by using a bit of chemistry!  The body of the vac is ABS (acylonitrile butadiene styrene) I believe, so I used a drop of acetone ("non-enviro-friendly" old style nail polish) on the headless screw which softened/dissolved the ABS enough around the top of the screw so I could get purchase on the shaft of the headless screw with needle nose pliers and screw it out.  I then quickly cleaned the area to remove the acetone and stop further softening by using some IPA (iso propyl alcohol).  All good - new T10 machine screw went in fine but I used a little dab of JB Weld to make sure it was secure.

Anyway, the Man Vac forum is great, and if you get some Torx screwdrivers (T10 and T15) and read through the info here then you're on your way to fixing most things Dyson - take your time.  Man Vacs parts are super competitive price-wise and you know what you're getting is quality - even still worth buying after adding freight to Australia - so you guys in the UK have it good with Man Vacs.

Offline twosixohtwo

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2018, 01:09:07 AM »
Briliant refurb. I had a very heavily used Dyson in college 10+ years ago, and I thought it was a Canadian-market DC21, but looking through this, I now think it was a 23. Managed to clean out the bin and cyclone assembly myself and it worked a treat. That is, until I had a housemate under the influence of something powerful that took the whole thing apart one night, to every individual component. Never could figure out how to get it back together, so to the recyclers it went, and since I was moving (to a place away from this housemate) I splurged on a Miele. Wish I'd known of this forum then, at least if it existed, since I could have gave it new life or at least parted it out.

Offline sharynapowell

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »
Hi beko1987. Where is the fan on the Dyson dc 23. Is it on the side where the red bit is or is it inside the turbo bit

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram