The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: 3 - 01 Dysons and none of them work!  (Read 12264 times)

Offline bluedoor

3 - 01 Dysons and none of them work!
« on: July 18, 2016, 04:00:34 pm »
Was hoovering away this morning and the cable was loose on my best Dyson (other 2 are for spares) and sometimes the hoover cut out.  So I twiddled it and the hoover kept going.  I have had this problem before and paid to get it fixed "shouldnt have that problem again" he said.  But the Dyson did cut out and smoke did come from the area where the cable disappears into the Dyson!

Today I have checked out the cable inside the other 2 Dysons so I could see what was what to fix my best Dyson.  I have struggled opening up the area, undoing the screw but cannot get the Dyson working again and have changed the 13 amp fuse.

So frustrating! 

The second Dyson works but only if you hold in the on/off button and I dont want to do that.

The third Dyson is dead so maybe the motor.  I was sure I could get the Dyson going again and have even viewed instructions how to re-do the cable on a Dyson website but I am at a loss what to do next.  Was trying to save money too but maybe I am going to have to go back to the repair shop  grrr  grrr..........

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Offline ClassicDysonDealer

Re: 3 - 01 Dysons and none of them work!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 04:34:24 pm »
Hi there I found this for you to show you how to do it your self  its very eazy once you know how SEE LINK http://www.dysonmedic.com/DC01%20Folder/DC01%20Cable%20change.html

(The second Dyson works but only if you hold in the on/off button and I dont want to do that) you don't have to it just needs a new power switch SEE link  https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC01-spares.html/DC02-DC02-power-switch
Hi there i am a dyson collector but only the older models AND I refurbish dyson's too

Offline bluedoor

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 05:20:12 pm »
Thank you so much for your helpful reply, I havent looked at the links etc yet.

Just wanted to say that I have had another go at the switch and I have 2 other Dysons to look as an example.   I have jiggled things about then put it back together and switched on and it has sizzled again.  Then tried again and then switched it on and it is as dead as a dodo. 

It is so frustrating.  I rang the local Dyson man and he wants about £20 to fix the switch and I am afraid, being on a tight budget, I really want to try and do it myself.

When it was playing up and wiggling the cable, got it going again then it sizzled and smoked a little and cut out, which connection would that have been, a blue or brown?  By the way, the grey cover, does that have to go back a specific way because there is a sticking out piece at the back??

I think I had best leave it for now and pack up or I shall drive myself mad! Going to read your reply now ClassicDysonDealer and I really appreciate your reply.  Here goes .......

Offline bluedoor

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 05:28:50 pm »
Have just had a quick look, I do not understand the "crimp the spade onto the wire" and also the photograph where there is a red circle, that is not clear to me.

Could I take the switch from my working (was) Dyson and put it on the Dyson that I have to hold the switch down to make it work.  Would that be straightforward or is it the wire connections on my working (was) Dyson that are not connected properly, hence the sizzling etc.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline bluedoor

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 05:38:33 pm »
Have taken the switch out of my Dyson (which wont stay on unless you hold the switch down) and I cannot pull the connectors out of the switch where the cable is thin and brown?  Do they come out or is there a way of getting them to pull out please?

Offline bluedoor

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:58:37 pm »
Yay, cracked it, now have 1 working Dyson but it is rather noisy and has been in the shed for years.

Ideally I would now like to take the switch and cable off my better Dyson (that sizzled and died) and put the switch and cable on it from the noisy one out of the shed.  Would that be difficult?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:27:01 pm »
Hi bluedoor, in order to give very detailed accurate help and info we need to know the model of each Dysons, or the first 3 digits of their serial numbers ;)

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 07:38:06 pm »
no it would not be to hard

you best try with the worst dyson then your best if you succeed
Hi there i am a dyson collector but only the older models AND I refurbish dyson's too

Offline bluedoor

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 08:29:05 pm »
I think today I have been a bit of a bull at a gate!

Going back to the initial problem, my regular Dyson was working but if the cable was at a particular angle, the Dyson died, then I wiggled the cable and it worked again until eventually, it sizzled and there was a bit of smoke and it died.  What would you suggest caused that problem and what is the best solution for me?  Could I fix this problem without any special tool kit?

It has had this problem before and been mended at the shop - he wants around £20 to fix it today.

The Dyson I was using, I will describe it as "A" is 841-A-104809.

The Dyson from the shed which is noisy and I had to hold down the switch to make it work I will describe as "B" 703-A-016962 (Antartica Solo Limited Edition No.111353).

The Dyson (given to me for spares, think the motor is broken) I will describe as "C" is 700-A-233018.

I now have a noisy working Dyson "B" because I have taken the switch out of Dyson "A" and put it in Dyson "B".  I am going to have to change the roller brush, a wheel and another thing underneath as it is broken on "B".

Ideally I would like to have Dyson "A" running properly but have struggled today with the wires inside where the cable goes in.

Some years ago I broke my wand and a friend in the next town suggested I go to "Dyson Cemetery", I asked where it was and she said "the tip".  I went there and got a spare Dyson which is the Limited Edition Antartica Solo for a fiver!!

Thanks for all the help and any further suggestions will be much appreciated.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 08:37:12 pm »
the thing is a lot of tutorials on dc01s seemed  to have gone of google I would say go for the £20

the cables can be £10 to buy  plus dc01s are the best and some seem to last forever

Offline bluedoor

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 09:00:22 pm »
Thanks for your reply - can you tell me why my regular Dyson kept stopping then died, with the smoke and sizzle near to the cable entrance?

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 09:01:43 pm »
the thing is a lot of tutorials on dc01s seemed  to have gone of google I would say go for the £20

the cables can be £10 to buy  plus dc01s are the best and some seem to last forever

I would only say the DC01 is best for it's large bin capacity, hose length (tbh the DC27 has a long hose too) and it's lifespan.

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 09:06:10 pm »
sounds like you just need a new cable nothing else

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 09:08:13 pm »
Sounds like they are all DC01's! Okay.

So, Dyson A can be fixed, it just needs a new cable and a cable grommet (rubber cable protector) to make the cable last longer. DC01's have this common issue because many of them had no rubber grommet and that cable area as it enters the machine has to deal with the 90 degree bend of when the cable is stored on the machine and being bend the other way when the cable is unwrapped from the vacuum.

In order to fix Dyson A, you will need to get a cable grommet and you can chop the old cable off by about 5 inches to be on the safe side, then reconnect the cable into the vacuum. If you remove the cyclone assembly you will see a plastic cover with 1 screw and Voila! All that access tot the wiring (The wiring may look complex but it's not, I promise. The old cable just is held inside by the metal bracket and a screw on the left hand side. The switch can be removed by sliding it towards you. I would say a new cable is better as it is longer but if it doesn't bother you that's all the matters ;)

Dyson C is a DC01 so probs just needs a new cable as well, is that the yellow one? Should have the YDK motor. Dyson B I wouldn't really bother with but that's just me lol

Best of luck :thumbsup:

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 09:10:03 pm »
thanks mr parwaz 7862

DC01 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram