The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover Junior U1346 (December 1969) - Restoration  (Read 21737 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Hoover Junior U1346 (December 1969) - Restoration
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:39:04 pm »
Hello my Vacuum Cleaner Chums!

A few days ago, I got 2 parcels from our good hosts

There was some modern rubbish in there, as well as 2 Hoover Juniors. In this thread, we will concentrate on the Brown 1969 Junior. Apparently the last in the line, a Phase 3, soon superseded by the 1346A (as helpfully explained in the comments on the above video!

ila_rendered

The ratings plate is present, but just about readable

ila_rendered

The immediate issue I saw was the lovely original rare as  :censored: bag had paint all over it

ila_rendered

The rest of the machine wasn't too bad though

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

It won't be too far from home in the Dyson Museum either, having seen action 13 miles away at some point in its life

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The bumper was hanging off at the back

ila_rendered

And there is a big crack in the side

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Hoover Junior U1346 (December 1969) - Restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:43:30 pm »
The belt pulley, a common wear point, was lovely and unworn

ila_rendered

The same could not be said for the belt

ila_rendered

Let's get the bag off, it's held on with a screw and thread

ila_rendered

and it lifts off the collar

ila_rendered

There was a bojack bag fitted

ila_rendered

Which looks quite old judging by the other machines listed as fitment

ila_rendered

With the bolt removed from the lower collar, the bag peels away from the bag fill tube

ila_rendered

Which by the looks of it, hasn't happened for a while!

The bag holder (a rubber belt) is removed

ila_rendered

and the bellows seperated from the bag fill tube

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 10:49:06 pm »
Initially, the bag fill tube looked blocked

ila_rendered

but it turned out to be a piece of foam stuck to the inside, presumably to stop the noise of grit bouncing it's way to the bag

ila_rendered

After a damn good bash out it looked much better

ila_rendered

Top half of the handle now

ila_rendered

The bag support bracket is held in with a circlip and bar

ila_rendered

With the circlip removed, and the bar withdrawn the bracket falls out the handle

ila_rendered

The cable is held up at the middle by a and bracket

ila_rendered

The bracket pulls off the

ila_rendered

The bottom part of the handle is bolted to the handle bail assembly, at the bottom (if you hadn't already guessed!)

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:56:22 pm »
The lower handle section fits into the handle bail by means of a rubber housing, which pulls off the lower handle part

ila_rendered

The machine is MUCH easier to photograph now...

Belt guard off

ila_rendered

Holding bracket removed

ila_rendered

Next off is the release pedal to lower the handle, as the handle assembly won't pull out with it fitted

ila_rendered

Out comes the brushroll, looking a bit peaky

ila_rendered

The belt looks very past it now it's fully out.. Still span the brushroll though, I'd like to see a DC07 do that with a belt in this state... :underchair:

ila_rendered

To strip the brushroll, first unscrew and end cap (one side will come off, one side wont)

ila_rendered

One side had an end cap spring fitted, which was nearly falling apart

ila_rendered

Grip the brushroll axle with something, and unscrew the other end cap. Both should now be free

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 11:04:40 pm »
Here we encounter the first issue. One brushroll bearing came out of the end cap fine, the other not so fine

ila_rendered

The bearing had seized, then violently unseized itself at some point by shearing the 2 halves apart, so the inner part, stuck fast to the end cap needs some tappy action with a small/medium hammer

ila_rendered

Brushroll strips (which are of superb length and stiffness) are slid out

ila_rendered

And that's the brushroll done!

Next, we remove the lower cover from underneath the machine

ila_rendered

As with all Juniors of this age, the spark arrestor pad is perished to dust, so I removed the remnants, I doubt it sparks much anyway

ila_rendered

Which is just as well really, as sparks would have loved this...

ila_rendered

I dug a bit, and found a motor!

ila_rendered

First, I removed the cable

ila_rendered

Which allowed me to pull it free of the various s

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 11:12:19 pm »
Looking at the cable, it has the original wiring terminals on, but they looked very frayed and horrible

ila_rendered

So I chopped them off

ila_rendered

Next, we remove the rear wheels

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

By removing various circlips and washers, they strip off their axle

ila_rendered

The other 2 screws release the handle bail assembly, which withdraws easily due to us removing the release pedal earlier!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

This is where they wear, this step wears smooth, and the machine no longer sits upright. This one isn't too bad, if you jiggle it about it flops down, but picking it up squarely, and pushing it on it's wheels is fine. It would certainly be alot of work for not much gain to re-profile it, so I left it!

ila_rendered

Next out of it's fluffy home is the front wheels

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 11:22:52 pm »
Of course, a whole fake mustache was hiding under it

ila_rendered

More circlips and washers later

ila_rendered

Next off is the furniture guard, which had been stuck on at one point in it's 47 year life, and removing it took some bits of plastic with it...

ila_rendered

Getting there!

ila_rendered

But first the switch needs to be removed

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Next, to remove the motor, and this is where a very long screwdriver comes in handy

ila_rendered

out she comes!

ila_rendered

In these next few pictures, I tried to point out what wire went where, but failed miserably as I got them wrong, so:

ila_rendered

This terminal (the top carbon brush) has a black wire, which goes to one side of the supressor

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 11:34:44 pm »
As shown in this picture...

ila_rendered

With the screw removed, the bracket holding the carbon brush spring is removed

ila_rendered

But not the carbon brush itself, as it's stuck in with fluff... (the spring came off). So next off, is the black cable from the other side of the supressor, which goes round and joins up with the neutral cable from the mains

ila_rendered

The wire left in the terminal block comes from the switch

ila_rendered

which once removed releases the switch a bit more

ila_rendered

The switch cap pulls off the switch itself

ila_rendered

The live wire from the switch plugs into one side of the supressor. The black wire (unrelated  but runs through the conduit) is the neutral from the terminal block to the supressor. Both pull out of the supressor

ila_rendered

The long red wire comes from the field coil, and the short black is the one that sits on the top carbon holder

ila_rendered

Next off is the supressor, which also holds the field coil on inside

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 11:41:38 pm »
British Made  :bow:

ila_rendered

I'm not too sure what this is, but I'm going to say an earthing strap. These machines are double insulated, so no need for an earth wire (stuart...) (where's Tech12 to confirm? He would know!). It joins the rear bearing housing to the supressor bracket

ila_rendered

The bottom carbon holder was buried under some more fluff

ila_rendered

Now we can crack the motor open. There are 4 screws and bolts, 3 are black, and are fancase side, and one at the rear

ila_rendered

And one is shiney, and also forms the bolt that holds the rear bearing bracket in place

ila_rendered

Lol

ila_rendered

The motor housing seal comes off now, and is in great condition, so no need for silicone sealent replacement

ila_rendered

This machine has seen alot of fine dust in it's time, the front of the motor casing was packed with it!

ila_rendered

When the motor housing was opened, the terminal block fell out, as it is just held by 2 tabs, locked into place when the housing is screwed up

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 11:50:17 pm »
Now we can see the other carbon brush holder, hidden away under the motor cover

ila_rendered

And the fancase bearing

ila_rendered

The rear bearing is half released already, one more screw removes the bracket fully, and the armature can be withdrawn

ila_rendered

The rear bearing is in very good order

ila_rendered

Bit dirty, but spins beautifully

ila_rendered

Time to look at the armature now

ila_rendered

Holding the armature in one hand, hold the fan and turn it anti clockwise, which should release the belt pulley, then spin it off, and remove the pulley, fan, fibre washer, 2 spacer washers and standoff tube

ila_rendered

More plaster dust under the fan (I'm not sure if it's asbestos or not, but I didn't lick it so I should be ok...)

ila_rendered

Hoover - Who Better?

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 11:55:07 pm »
The fan is original, which is nice to see, and in great condition

ila_rendered

The trusty bearing puller released the fancase bearing

ila_rendered

Which was utterly filthy

ila_rendered

But cleaned up well, and again, is smooth as silk. It's seen new bearings before!

ila_rendered

With the little yellow wire unscrewed, the field coil lifts off the motor housing (well, it would have come with the armature, but lets not split hairs)

ila_rendered

Nearly there!

ila_rendered

I can now push the stuck carbon out with a small screwdriver, and they are quite worn, probably only another 7-8 years left in them...

ila_rendered

The carbon brush holders unscrew and lift out

ila_rendered

Now the motor is stripped into it's component form, time to move back to the chassis

3 screws help hold the firewall to the chassis

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 11:59:46 pm »
With them removed, it's time to break the seal, carefully prise around the join until the ancient glue stuff gives in

ila_rendered

and the firewall and air path can be lifted out

ila_rendered

Here we can see the other side of the large crack

ila_rendered

And some damage done by the rear bumper/impact damage

ila_rendered

and some fine cracks on one side of the brushroll end

ila_rendered

None of which were too bad, and the whole thing was still sturdy, so I opted to dribble a tiny amount of glue into them from the inside, and leave them alone!

The belt guard underneath is removed by releasing the spring, and the rest falls out!

ila_rendered

Empty!

ila_rendered

Full!

ila_rendered

Everything was soaked overnight, then washed, cleaned further with cream cleaner, then I cracked the machine polisher out...

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 12:00:30 am »

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 12:05:29 am »
It came up bloody beautifully

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Ogling over, I cleaned the firewall off

ila_rendered

and turned to our mate Tommy for some help

ila_rendered

to re-seal everything up!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

And a large, thick bead around where the firewall goes

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 12:15:06 am »
And fitted and tidied up

ila_rendered

As tidy as it can be the other side, where my fingers wont reach

ila_rendered

One thing we have not touched yet is the handle bail assembly

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

On this side, a tiny circlip holds it all together, which releases the metal guide, and metal plate (which pushes the mechanism down when the release pedal is pressed)

ila_rendered

The 'bolt' (which isn't really a bolt) pushes through now

ila_rendered

Which releases the 2 main halves, along with the tensioning spring

ila_rendered

The other 'bolt' (with the recessed head that guides the release plate) is held in with another circlip, and when pushed through releases the spring plate.

ila_rendered

Like so! The whole lot was cleaned off, and given a buff with wire wool to make it shine, then back together with some lovely new grease

ila_rendered

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram