The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: dyson turbine head  (Read 32540 times)

Offline Chainhurstman

Re: dyson turbine head
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »
I have two purple-and-grey mini-turbine heads; both work fine (after removing and cleaning the brush assemblies) but on one the pop-in/pop-out valve that disables the turbine when pushed in does not engage in the pushed-in position and immediately pops out again.  As I have never yet encountered a situation where I /want/ to disable the turbine this is not a real problem, but I would nonetheless like to know what normally holds the plunger in each of its two bi-stable positions, and whether the problem (minute thought it is) could be solved by an interested amateur ...

Philip Taylor

Online __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2016, 12:10:54 PM »
If memory serves correctly, the valve that pops out again when you press it is an earlier design. The earlier ones had a spring underneath the plunger - when pressed in and the machine is switched on, the suction holds the valve closed so the brushes don't spin.

It was later redesigned to the pop in/off valve which was more effective.

Offline Chainhurstman

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2016, 12:20:42 PM »
Ah, thank you Russ, I hadn't considered that possibility.  However, having tried it, I find that even with the machine powered up and the brush-head spinning, if I press the plunger in it does not latch.  Perhaps there is a leak in the rubber seal around the plunger assembly ...

Online __russ__

• Dyson Repairs Essex
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2016, 12:54:18 PM »
Quite possibly...and why they changed the design!

I don't believe the brushes ever fully stopped spinning until the updated pop in/out version.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 11:10:01 PM »
I have both! I can confirm that Russ is correct :icon_nod:
DC14s are tanks, just need a slightly longer motor life. Do plastic parts often break on DC14s? Nope. DC41- Sexy looking futuristic and powerful machine. Just needs a better designed cleaner head wheel and cyclone clip along with a dense metal rod in the chassis.

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Sebo Vacuum Cleaners

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacson Google+

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration