The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Vax Turboforce V006 - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 14433 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Vax Turboforce V006 - Stripdown and Refurb
« on: August 22, 2016, 09:50:14 pm »
I sold a DC04 a fair while ago, and took this and another vax in as part exchange. I've had one of these before in Orange, and do quite like them, despite the awful filtration, they really groom well, and clean the carpet deep down

ila_rendered

A Vax Turboforce V006-something. Long discontinued, and based on the Big Bubble or similar

ila_rendered

Things got off to a shakey start when I unclipped the hose from the machine, and found it wouldn't pull through the bracket, so I had to come back to that...

ila_rendered

The dusting brush sits on the dusting brush holder

ila_rendered

and the extension wand and crevice tool sits in it's holder too (technical stuff here)

ila_rendered

Bin off

ila_rendered

The turbo tool holder/cyclone holder (I did not get a turbo tool with this one) unscrews with 2 screws from the back of the handle

ila_rendered

And the turbo tool clip pulls out of the main assembly

ila_rendered

With the above done, the handle itself isn't fixed on, so lifts off easily

ila_rendered

This part, which does such jobs as holds the dusting brush, upper cord hook and top hose hook doesn't screw on despite having screw holes, and it sandwiched between the handle and main chassis, and lifts off once the former is removed
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Vax Turboforce V006 - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:55:13 pm »
With that out of the way the hose entry elbow can be seen

ila_rendered

and removed

ila_rendered

Various screws front and back release the lower hose bracket, and the hose can finally be removed

ila_rendered

With those screws removed, the middle chassis lifts off the motor housing, bringing the lower hose with it

ila_rendered

There is a big D seal inside the upper chassis that seals onto the cyclone bin

ila_rendered

The external lower hose pushes onto the bracket that the main hose fits onto to provide the suction to the brushroll

ila_rendered

With some considerable fiddling it is removed

ila_rendered

Getting there now

ila_rendered

The secondary (and probably bloody useless by the time the fine dust that's escaped the main filter hits it) pre motor filter lifts out of the motor housing

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:01:04 pm »
We need to move underneath now, and remove the front wheels

ila_rendered

This bracket holds the axle onto the underside

ila_rendered

Once removed the wheels fall off

ila_rendered

Many many screws remove the baseplate

ila_rendered

And reveals the broken belt this machine does suffer from

ila_rendered

the MASSIVE brushroll lifts out of the head

ila_rendered

and a few screws here and there release the hood

ila_rendered

I forgot how much of an arse this was last time and removed the furniture guard, which I do not recommend!

ila_rendered

Power you can see had turned into Power hidden by filth

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:07:40 pm »
I bet the future collectability of this machine will be dictated by how clear this piece is, or if a NOS one can be found (ha!, zero chance of that now let alone in 40 years)

ila_rendered

The height adjuster is held in with a screw through its centre

ila_rendered

The height adjuster mechanism is held in by this plate underneath

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

With all that out of the way we can remove the clamps that hold the motor housing to the lower chassis

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

and the two can be separated

ila_rendered

The release pedal unclips from the lower chassis

ila_rendered

I left the rear wheels on, as the last time I removed them on a different machine the chassis broke around them immediately afterwards when putting it back together, and I didn't want that to happen this time

So onto the motor. Motor housing split

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:16:19 pm »
Being Vax, the wiring is joined with these horrible crimps.

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

And once all chopped, the housing fully splits as the headlight wiring holds the two together

ila_rendered

The sound deadening pulls off the front housing vents

ila_rendered

The headlight lens removes with 2 screws, and the lightbulb pulls out

ila_rendered

Releasing a spring clip brings the bulb holder out

ila_rendered

Front housing done, time to have the screamer motor out

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:19:53 pm »
I'm so glad shit like this has been banned, horrible motors! Luckily this one, by some miracle hadn't burnt out yet

ila_rendered

The suction channel unscrews into 2 parts for some reason

ila_rendered

leaving the mains cable and a fairly pointless PCB attached

ila_rendered

The PCB unscrews

ila_rendered

as does the cord clamp

ila_rendered

More vax idiocy, I could not get the mains cable off without loosing the nice live wire crimp

ila_rendered

So snippy snippy that went too

The switch is removed with a screw

ila_rendered

and the power pedal pops out

ila_rendered

Cyclone now! Bin off

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:27:55 pm »
The retaining/release clip at the top did look like it would come off, but the potential for borkage was strong, so I left it alone

ila_rendered

Underneath was quite basic

ila_rendered

and that was that! (The filter had already been removed and washed), so have some screws

ila_rendered

and it's time to lob it together again! The very clean filter pushes onto the bin

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

and the top twists onto the bin

ila_rendered

Er, Done  :thumbsup:

Power pedal clips back onto the lower chassis

ila_rendered

and the switch is refitted

ila_rendered

Time to get my wire strippers out (bought these at Shitefest from the back of a Proton Jumbuck pickup truck that shat its clutch out on the way home sadly)

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 10:33:23 pm »
The mains cable wire is fed through, wrapped around the ferrite coil and stripped

ila_rendered

and clamped down

ila_rendered

I stripped the ends of all the other cables, and screwed the air duct back together

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The headlight bulb holder is fixed back into position

ila_rendered

and wiring can commence

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The motor and air duct can be fitted too (well, they have to be to sort the wiring out

ila_rendered

Fit the insert that closes off the belt spindle end of the housing, refit the sound deadening/diffuser and screw the whole thing down!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 10:37:12 pm »
The bulb is fitted and the headlight lens screwed back on

ila_rendered

Back to the lower chassis now, and clip the release pedal in

ila_rendered

Fit the 2 halves together and screw the pivot points down

ila_rendered

Fit the bottom part of the height adjustment mechanism in

ila_rendered

and the top

ila_rendered

Fit the clear channel thing

ila_rendered

and drop the hood on

ila_rendered

Dig a pack of bojack belts out of the shed

ila_rendered

and fit the belt and brushroll

ila_rendered

Then the baseplate

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 10:42:07 pm »
then screw the baseplate on

ila_rendered

Pop the front wheels and retaining bracket on

ila_rendered

Next, pop the middle back part on, then fit the external hose and screw its bracket onto the cleaner, being sure to pass the  other hose through the bracket first

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Fit the hose entry elbow

ila_rendered

The next part sort of happens at once, cos you will drop the dusting brush/upper cord hook/upper hose hook holder on, then the top handle, then screw it all up by fitting the turbo brush holder

ila_rendered

Lob all the tools back on

ila_rendered

and she is done!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

It sold a day later for £30, which I was quite surprised about, and the lady loves it so much she has messaged me asking if I have another cheap upright for her upstairs, which is ace as I do, but more on that when I get it done and it's own thread written up!

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 01:35:57 am »
Wow, 30 pounds isn't bad at all for an upright like this. Ace write up as usual.  :bow:

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 09:48:59 am »
Thanks!

I reckon £30 is top end tbh, it was missing the turbo tool, and it's a horrible, pleated filter type machine, sow ill clog very easily. It's also bloody huge and heavy, although the swivel rear wheels makes it quite maneuverable.

It does work astonishingly well though, the brushroll really grooms the carpet. Bloody loud though!

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 03:15:10 pm »
I've had a few dirt devils similar to this over the years, never this exact one, but they have all had a surprising ability to dig up really deep down dirt. Noisy and quickly clogged yes, but very powerful.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 12:06:36 am »
£30 wowzers! Good job ;D :thumbsup: I kind of hate the uprights with removable  half chassis' ever since owning the Bush 1800W thing I had, I thought I had snapped the vacuum in half only when I leaned it forward! Just needed longer screws which I nicked from a spare DC14 cyclone   :grinn:

Would you say the plastic beaterbar on this Vax is as good as the metal one you had replaced on the orange one?

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 12:11:44 am »
I've had a few dirt devils similar to this over the years, never this exact one, but they have all had a surprising ability to dig up really deep down dirt. Noisy and quickly clogged yes, but very powerful.

Same goes for Bissell apparently lol,I had an Easy Vac which made an awful buzzing noise when the brush was in contact with the carpet beating and grooming away (so loud) and shockingly pulled a ball of dust out the carpet after using my Dyson Dc25  :o

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration