The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: New Dyson Small Ball Vacuum - hard work to push?  (Read 10722 times)

Offline eyemdee

New Dyson Small Ball Vacuum - hard work to push?
« on: August 30, 2016, 06:20:12 pm »
I recently replaced our ageing DC24 when its motor started to smell of burning. We chose the new "Small Ball" cleaner as it appeared to be the equivalent model. It is, however, much heavier to use than the DC24 as it appears to suck itself to the carpet! If the suction power is set to maximum it is impossible to move on a standard carpet. Set to minimum it is still very heavy to manoeuvre when switched on.

Can anyone tell me whether this is usual or could we have a faulty self-adjusting head? I have checked that all 4 tiny wheels are present and correct. I replaced the motor on the DC24 with a genuine Dyson replacement and it is definitely much easier to push then the new "Small Ball" which seems to be a backward development.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Re: New Dyson Small Ball Vacuum - hard work to push?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 11:21:18 pm »
Hi.

The Dyson Small ball, well I can say we have owned a DC41 Mk2 from new (a full sized version of this) and the ball is quite stiff when new, but after about a week's worth of use it should break in and spin freely so should be eaier to push.

If the suction is too strong, you should check that when the head is set on "max" the rubber strip at the front comes out. Does this go back in when set on the opposite setting? It should do and this enables the large debris channel to be open and thus stops the conecntrated suction sticking to the floor as much.

Hope this helps ;)

Offline eyemdee

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 02:09:31 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I checked the rubber strip at the front and it does drop down when set to Max and retracts fully when set to Min. I don't think it is stiffness in the ball as it is very easy to manoeuvre when switched off - it just seems very heavy to use when compared with the DC24.  :(

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 08:53:04 pm »
Is it a wattage difference as well as weight? The 24 was only 650w with probably quite poor airflow.  The dc50 (small ball or whatever model number it is) will probably work Much better,  but with the side effect you are experiencing here!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline eyemdee

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 09:55:45 pm »
Yes, you could be right - it took some finding but it looks like the Small Ball is rated at 850w. I think the weight is the same but you can certainly feel that extra 200w in the suction power.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 10:10:45 pm »
The airflow rating will be much more too,  its not all about wattage!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 10:42:54 pm »
My cousin has a 2015 model DC50 with the Max slider and he says it's too powerful as well, he has hard flooring and lots of rugs, it seems to lift them up!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 10:50:06 pm »
The dc75 I had a play with glued itself down a bit. Sadly the race for the best European test results resulted in good figures,  but crap user experience.

Ive had a few new vax uprights come for repair at 4 months old,  and the felt strips they use to get the a rating on hard floors has been worn off etc.

Short of putting a hole in the airflow somewhere to release some of the suction youll need to hope your arms adjust with use!

And if the motor goes in the new one,  it won't be as cheap or easy to fix as the 24 was

Offline eyemdee

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 10:52:29 pm »
We don't have any hard floors but we do have a shaggy rug in the living room. The DC 24 would vacuum it fine, but the Small Ball struggles to move on it and the brush roller stops after a short period of time on the rug. Progress...!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 10:55:51 pm »
I had a vax air thing in 2 days ago for a new belt (a screw had come loose and shredded the toothed belt).  We have a shaggy rug too and if I was too slow using the vax it would cut the brushroll off.

The 1994 Hoover Turbopower 2 I use is fine with it,  will happily dig down to the backing layer if I leave it in one place!

Its a bit oversensitive then? I know it should stop itself if jammed,  but whilst vacuuming a rug is a bit silly

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram