The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Servicing my Dyson dc04's clutch  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Vacsfoodreviews

• Youtube Channel vacsfoodreviews
Servicing my Dyson dc04's clutch
« on: September 03, 2016, 02:50:49 pm »
So yesterday i decided to investigate why the brush roll was spinning slowly and what the annoying rattle was on my dc04 so i took the clutch off and found out that the belts are well overdue a change so i ordered them they should be here next week i also have greased and oiled the whole clutch system all the bearings i could find and the rattle has gone

However i didn't know whether it was a good idea to use oil on the clutch will it damage it ?

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Servicing my Dyson dc04's clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:47:46 pm »
I use a drop of LHM or grease pon the centre spindle with no ill effect.
Also, you can remove and turn the 'brake pad' around too to reveal a brand new side. A few small drops of grease on the reverse side keep it stuck to the top part as you lower it back on.
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Vacsfoodreviews

• Youtube Channel vacsfoodreviews
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 06:12:04 pm »
After putting it back together yesterday the belt was majorly slipping on the motor and the brush roll wasn't turning although it worked by hand why is this ??

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 07:09:55 pm »
Did the locking mechanism slip when you had it back together? The cogs that mesh together whwn pressed together (to put the circlip on) are very much a pain in the arse,  and need to be held down all the time whilst you put the plastic spacer,  bearing and circlip on the other end.  I push it onto the corner of my toolbox with one had and do the circlip with the other.

Do you get the ratchety sound when using it? I'm afraid to say try again! Just make sure the cogs stay meshed,  you can peek and look before putting the motor belt pulley back on. But until that circlip is on,  a mm of movement will ruin your day!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

DC04 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram