The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Vax Mach Air U91 Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 30727 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Vax Mach Air U91 Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 11:35:05 pm »
When fitting the cover, be careful to not knock the reset button out of it's little ledge

ila_rendered

then screw everything down

ila_rendered

Wire the PCB up and tidy all the cables

ila_rendered

and fit the orange top cover

ila_rendered

Pop the brushroll cover on

Pop the wheels on

ila_rendered

Back to having to step back to take pictures, fit the spine

Fit the tool holder

ila_rendered

Feed the spinal cord into it's slot, fit the mains cable and re-fit the switches

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 11:41:00 pm »
Then fit the switch housing and switch covers

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Next was to fit the hose. Now this is a short hose, like a DC24, this machine has an optional very long stretch hose, which I haven't got so to get a few extra inches I didn't feed it through the bottom loop

And with that, it's done!

Now, before I had a chance to think of selling it, my mum gave it a go when she was round one day, and liked it. She had a panasonic upright I got out of a skip years ago, which was too heavy for her to use, so, since it only owed me a fiver, I gave it to her, and it is now her upstairs vacuum!

It works very very well, better than her Miele cylinder with air powered turbo brush, so occasionally I bring it downstairs so she can go over the ground floor. The Miele is still needed for the kitchen though, as the vax just glues itself to the floor and she can't move it.

So a happy ending! Which reminds me, I have not filmed an 'after' video yet. It's dirty now, of course, but I should do something...

Anyway, hope you enjoyed it! And one machine is written up. 6 more to go! (and more to refurbish!)

Bye!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline renault567

• Restorer/Collector of vacuum cleaners
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 12:17:26 am »
Amazin thread. Btw your story about your mum reminds me of a elderly relative who has a battered 01 absolute and a hardly used dc24. She always insists the 01 does a better job. Despite it back breaking for her to use, and refuses to use the 24 as it feels too light  :D

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 12:34:13 pm »
It didn't help that the Panasonic was utter shyte. Had suction, but the brushroll was so soft it did nothing, and wasn't too light despite what it said. I vacuumed thoroughly with the Air the day I handed it over and 3/4 filled the bin, and only had 2 rooms and the landing to do as one of the bedrooms has no carpet after moth issues last year!

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 12:33:45 am »
Interesting, I've never seen the insides of one of these. Glad your mum likes it!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 01:36:45 am »
Brilliant! I got offered one of these traded in for a DC14 Animal today for collection on Tuesday... but it's an Air 3
I quite like these early Mach airs as they look more basic and simple, I had the latest total home pets upright and it was utter crap, so many clips poking out the sides for various tools, hoses, poles you name it! :o The cyclones were also horrific, after one use the filter got pretty dusty

The performance was great though

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 11:37:15 am »
This works quite well, it's very light, and feels very plasticky, but does a good job. The filter is quite dusty now though, and the top bin seal is catching lots of dust.

Is doing a grand job though, and hasn't blown up yet!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 09:04:22 am »
Brill, mine was good performance wise, but the rest of it wasn't really impressive especially at the £300ish price tag :o

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 10:13:05 am »
£300!?!?

Bloody hell, I paid £15 for this one, and tbh brand new it's a £70 tops machine to me!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 10:17:15 am »
Yep! Out of all the vacuums you an get for £300, a nice Dyson or Miele, people choose a Vax :)) Wtf

I got lucky with mine, mine was no more than a year old, it was the new EU model with the improved brushroll, and it even had the new design with the airflow valve on the head, at £8 I scored (IIRC it was £8) Sold it later at £20 cos even looking at it pissed me off, it was a nightmare to clean out, like a DC25's amount worth of screws just to take apart the head and cyclone alone :o

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 10:24:49 am »
Vax's do use a massive amount of screws, your right! Luckily I have no vax's in the shed now

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 10:37:57 am »
Lucky lol
I'm not gonna bother refurbish the vax power
1 I have, will just wipe it over  and spray the bin
Them bung it up at £20

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 11:43:45 am »
Hows the turboforce?

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 12:24:21 pm »
Not bad, it grooms like a DC33 with a new brush and clutch (density is good)
Might sell it but the headlight is pretty cool, and it comes with all the tools so might hang onto it for a bit till the novelty maybe wears off
Never been happy with vax sadly, except this turbo force and the 6140 3 in 1 pets tub vac ;)

Ps the swivel castors are pretty weird! I can't see the benefit lol, I think standard wheels are better and make it easier to turn

Offline steelcityuk

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 12:36:59 pm »
That's exactly the same Vax as I have. I bought two cheapies and made one good one. Works well but the bin is small and the filter needs banging out everytime it's used. I'm trying it with the bottom of the cyclone blocked by some plastic under the rubber seal to see if that helps. Having stove and three cats probably doesn't help.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration