The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Turquoise/Teal DC11 - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 17293 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Turquoise/Teal DC11 - Stripdown and Refurb
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:39:03 pm »
A fair old while ago now, in a box of assorted stuff, I got a DC11 to refurbish, with payment in another DC11 to keep and sell (which I still haven't done yet...). This didn't go 100% brilliantly, and the DC11 is a fickle thing to strip and put back together (and I'm not a massive fan of them  :-X), but here we go!

ila_rendered

I started work before I even got home, and peeled off the ruined bin catch sticker, as it drew less attention not being there at all than looking tatty

Then, a few days later, got cracking. Looking back at the pictures I was in the garden in my pajamas's, god I miss the hot weather, my car's frosted over already!

ila_rendered

The pre motor filter was a bit peaky

ila_rendered

and the cage was filthy

ila_rendered

Let's have a look at the post motor filter, it sits under this here clip

ila_rendered

Mmmm, not too bad

ila_rendered

mmmmm  :o

ila_rendered

I forgot to mention, this is an ex motor, it has ceased to be... :dead-dyson:
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Turquoise/Teal DC11 - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 09:43:18 pm »
Anyway, washing machine on for the filter (and others), it's time to move on. This is all I was sent

ila_rendered

So let's start with the turbo head. This whole color machine is as rare as unicorn bum fluff, so no pressure...  :snivel:

ila_rendered

And already there is some damage/sign of use. How the heck did it do this?

ila_rendered

The other side isn't so bad

ila_rendered

Baseplate off

ila_rendered

Looks like a build up of something over the years

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Baseplate seals out

ila_rendered

and the squeegee bit out of the other side

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:52:51 pm »
Aaand our adsl goes again... Been having issues all weekend with it (the whole of thame,  not just us)... Might have to pause this and resume when I trust it to work for more than an hour. Sorry folks!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 11:08:53 pm »
Judging by the amount of Openreach vans on our estate today, and that the DSL has been up all day, something must be fixed, so let's see how far we get tonight!

The baseplate wheels pop off

ila_rendered

The brushrolls twist off the axles

ila_rendered

Undoing all the visible screws on the top splits the head a bit

ila_rendered

and the turbine assembly drops out of the clear part

ila_rendered

The brushroll driveshafts were suitably plugged up with hair

ila_rendered

and sadly there was some damage to the airflow stop thing

Very carefully so as not to damage it even more, it pops out, bringing the filthy seal with it

Even more carefully as this bit is very soft, so gentle prying all around until it lets go lever the other side off

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 11:12:10 pm »
Under the plastic cap sits another plastic cap. More gently prying of the bit here until it gives way and lifts

ila_rendered

This allows removal and inspection of the turbine and inner bearings

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

More seals are sitting in the main part of the head

ila_rendered

To split the wand part, one side of the pivot pops out, allowing separation of the two parts

ila_rendered

The baseplate locking tab slides off

ila_rendered

The little rear wheel pops out

ila_rendered

and the latch disassembles by popping the cover up

ila_rendered

Turbo head done!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 11:17:20 pm »
Onto the main show now

ila_rendered

The cyclone is removed for later

ila_rendered

The post motor filter cover/suction channel is removed again

and the two bin seals pulled off

ila_rendered

The rear wheels prise off

ila_rendered

and undoing all the visible top screws (one hides inside a tool clip) the hose holder and tool holder lift away

ila_rendered

I'd advise against removing the tool clips, they are fragile, and I had to replace one as I broke it... (luckily they are still available fairly easily)

I was puzzled by this bit of clear plastic that doesn't seem removable, but seems to serve no purpose (there's no light under it etc)

ila_rendered

The metal reinforcement clips don't seem to easily come off either, so they were left

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 11:22:29 pm »
This flap here is what the cord runs against when pulled out, to save damage to the main machine. The screw has a washer underneath it

ila_rendered

Removed

ila_rendered

With all that off, the main housing screws can be removed, and the thing split apart

ila_rendered

I presume this pipe is some sort of suction relief thing, but I'm not sure as there is a release valve. All the cylinder Dysons have this part, any idea?

ila_rendered

The front furniture guard pops off now

ila_rendered

The post motor filter surround pops out too

ila_rendered

The pedals are removed by flicking the front pivot up and out of it's clip

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Here is the release valve, removal is assisted by poking a screwdriver into the back of it and pushing

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 11:26:57 pm »
Last layer now!

ila_rendered

Wiring removed

ila_rendered

and the cord rewind lifts out. Nothing was done to this bar a good dusting, as it works fine.

To remove the motor housing, a screw at the bottom of the post motor filter housing needs to come out

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The post motor filter housing pulls out of the motor housing seal

ila_rendered

The motor housing rubber pulls out

ila_rendered

and the wiring released from the clips, which removes the switch and live link wire too

ila_rendered

Flick a few tabs up and the motor can be seen

ila_rendered

The top part of the housing is lined with a big fancase seal

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:33:34 pm »
A massive locating rubber sits at the other side of the motor to locate it in the housing

ila_rendered

Since we need to change this motor we need to remove the wires, if the motor is fine you don't need to do this though

ila_rendered

This shows the state of the motor, the carbon brushes are breaking up, it sort of ran, but rumbled, popped and stank, so it wouldn't have been many more minutes before it died completely

ila_rendered

It then got slung in the bin.

One of the reasons I don't like the DC11 is it tips up in use. I'm 6ft2, but even if I wasn't, by the time the wand is fully extended, the hose is so short that the machine tips up frequently. And this was either built in by design, or there was an 'oh crap' moment just after design sign-off, capex budget sign-off and management buy in, as a little wheel has been fitted to the rear to compensate for this...

ila_rendered

Better late than never, here is the ratings plate

ila_rendered

The front wheel pops off, but the grey pivoting housing does not

ila_rendered

It's getting dark now (8.38pm this picture was taken, it's almost dark when I get home on an early at 4.40pm now  :( )

ila_rendered

Onto the bit I hate now, the cyclone

ila_rendered

Take the bin off

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 11:39:45 pm »
The bottom flaps pop off the bin with 2 tabs

ila_rendered

The DC11 bin assembly is worked with a convoluted series of levers and springs, and first off is the bottom plate that holds the release rod against the bin. A very careful pry and flick releases it

ila_rendered

and after that it just pulls off

ila_rendered

Behind this sits the clip that holds the flap up, and a spring

ila_rendered

With that out of the way, the release rod slides up and pulls out from it's channel on the bin

ila_rendered

The coloured outer base of the bottom flap pops off the inner clear part

ila_rendered

the one part seal pulls off

ila_rendered

Onto the more fiddly part now

ila_rendered

First off is the very tip top release lever and cover

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 11:47:19 pm »
With the cover/parking slot removed, the red button lifts out, retrieve it's spring

ila_rendered

Next out is the bin release button, a gently flick pops it up

ila_rendered

With the bin release button out, the 3rd screw to remove the top handle becomes visible. You know what to do...

ila_rendered

With the top handle removed, we can remove all the screws that hold the cyclone together. 2 are hidden under the handle

ila_rendered

Before we go pull it all apart, we need to note how the various levers work. To release the bin from the cyclone, this rod here

ila_rendered

is pushed forward when the bin release (not the flap release) button is pushed, which moves it's clamp out, so the bin can be pivoted out and removed. It is a git...

Very gently pull the cyclone halves apart

ila_rendered

They are part held in with a peg either side, so need to be maneuvered around that

However the cones will be held together still with another figure of 8 seal, so remove that

ila_rendered

This shows how the rods and springs sit

ila_rendered

The rear rod sits inside the main button like so, with a spring under my thumb

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 11:53:21 pm »
Once removed, we have this

ila_rendered

This is the rod that runs from the top, under the green release button, to push down, which pushes the horizontal rod forward to release the catch (I think...)

ila_rendered

Confusing innit!  :boggleeye:

Not too bad under the cover though

ila_rendered

nor at the rear

ila_rendered

Onto the cones and shrouds now

ila_rendered

x2 covers and seal sets come off

ila_rendered

This is the plastic peg that will help you swear whilst re-assembling it, one per side

ila_rendered

With lots of VERY careful screwdrivering the shroud pops off the cone

ila_rendered

and with even more careful levering the lower cone comes off the upper part

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 11:58:34 pm »
Which splits it into it's 3 parts. Then turn around, sigh and see the other one sat there, laughing at you...

ila_rendered

All done! Wash up, dry, polish the heck out of it, then time to do the usual!

ila_rendered

The lower cone snaps onto the main part

ila_rendered

BUT, whilst refitting the first shroud, disaster

ila_rendered

:censored:  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:

Second one went on ok

ila_rendered

Dejected, I moved onto the turbo tool, and sadly there is some blooming on the plastic that would not polish out no matter what I tried

ila_rendered

Clip back on

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Rear wheel fitted

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 12:04:05 am »
The baseplate securing clip slides on

ila_rendered

Then the internal hose pushes on

ila_rendered

then the wand part clips on

ila_rendered

Refit the turbine housing seal and the other seals

ila_rendered

Onto the turbine casing now, refit the belt, turbine and cover to the housing

ila_rendered

Cut off all the hair around the axles, and pop the solid side of the turbine back on

ila_rendered

Then on the other side fit the seal and suction killer button

ila_rendered

Fit and screw down the top clear cover

ila_rendered

Pop the brushrolls on, then fit the baseplate

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 12:11:14 am »
Pop the front wheels and squeegee strip (I forgot, and did it much later but forgot to take a picture. It's fairly easy to spot you have not done it as it'll be laughing at you from the floor)

ila_rendered

Done!

ila_rendered

Onto the main machine now, and start with the exciting part, and fit the small rear wheel to the bottom housing

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

and the front wheel

ila_rendered

Now of course Stuart knew the motor was  :dead-dyson: in this, so handily he sent a working one in the box! (standard DC05/08/19 motor incase of need)

ila_rendered

Not spotless, but the comm was not death black, and the carbons were not chipped, and since this machine is going to enter retirement, and only come out on high days and holidays, it won't need to run many hours anymore.

Pop the bottom rubber on

ila_rendered

and fit the motor to the housing, slotting the cable grommit (damn, where's my grommit picture?) Aha...

Them fit the fancase seal to the top of the housing and clip/screw it all down!

ila_rendered

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram