The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: New Motor for Dyson DC04 lime and grey  (Read 7080 times)

Offline al

New Motor for Dyson DC04 lime and grey
« on: February 10, 2016, 12:21:49 pm »
When I switch my Dyson DC04 (lime and grey) on, it makes a grinding noise for two seconds then cuts out. There is a "burnt dust" smell in the air after that. I think it needs a new motor.
Before I order the new motor, do I need to buy any adapters with it?
I already have new filters and the Dyson tool kit, plus access to helpful videos and manuals. Can someone remind me which way is UP when I put the new filters in?
(Not UP in general, but UP for each filter!)
Thank you

Offline Sids Spares

• Vacuumologist
Re: New Motor for Dyson DC04 lime and grey
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:04:55 pm »
If you are ordering a YKD motor then you will need the adaptor kit. If you are going for the Ametek motor then it will be a straight swap. Going for a YKD and kit is cheaper than the Ametec motor.

As for filters
Pre motor - the sponge goes into its holder and the whole lot goes in with the little tab on the holder facing up.
Post motor - if its a hepa, the same applies and the little tab is facing up. If its the pad type then the soft face goes downwards.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 02:06:46 pm »
Hi.

Yep, it sounds like your motor is dead. The Lime and Grey DC04 takes a different motor to every other Dyson (Amtek rather than YDK).

There is a conversion kit (https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC04-spares.html/DC04-ametek-motor) but it seems none are in stock. I'm sure someone on here would have a spare used Amtek, which will just fit straight in (I have one in the shed tbh) but obviously that could last 10 years, it could last 10 months!

RE filters, The Pre motor filter (the one above the cyclone) goes in sponge side down, cage side up (it only fits in one way as well). The foam type post motor filter (that sits under the cyclone) will fit either way round. Should you upgrade that to a HEPA filter, that only fits one way (the cover won't fit back on otherwise)
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 02:07:14 pm »
Oops, well said Sid! I got nearly there with my reply and had to go into a meeting!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Dyson Cylinder Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram