The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: HOW TO - Dyson DC07 non clutch Motor Replacement  (Read 8019 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
HOW TO - Dyson DC07 non clutch Motor Replacement
« on: November 16, 2016, 10:26:51 pm »
Hello! I thought I would write a how to guide on changing the YDK motor on a non clutched DC07. The clutched version does differ slightly, so if you need help with that, start a thread (or wait for the clutched version, it's coming!).

If you need help working out if your Dyson has a Clutch, look at it face on, does it have a Knob on the left hand side? No? Then read on!

You will need:

An YDK Motor - https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC07-spares.html/dyson-motor-ydk-yv-dc04-dc07-dc14-dc27-dc33
A new Post Motor filter - It will be a pad on a non clutched 07 https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC07-spares.html/DC07-DC14-Post-Motor-Filter-Pad although the HEPA one fits as well https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC07-spares.html/DC07-DC14-HEPA-filter
A nice medium sized flathead screwdriver
A T-15 screwdriver (https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC07-spares.html/Dyson-Torx-Star-Screwdriver-T15)

So, onto business! This 07 has a perfectly fine motor, but I made the pictures as I was stripping it down for refurbishment. The back hose, pre motor filter and internal hose were already removed, as they had been washed. I'll point this out as needed, but you should notice.

Remove the cyclone assembly

Remove the wand and hose (the hose is held in with a tab at the bottom of it, pull the tab towards the hose to release it and pull upwards)

Next, turn the cleaner over

ila_rendered

and remove the wand suction channel

ila_rendered

Remove the base plate

ila_rendered

then pop the belt off the motor spindle and remove the brushroll and belt (the belt had snapped and long gone on this machine!)

ila_rendered

Next, remove the cleaner head. There are 2 schools of thought to this. The first is to flip it back as far as it will go and lift it up and out of its pivots. I prefer to gently lever it up with a flatblade here

ila_rendered

and on the other side here

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: HOW TO - Dyson DC07 non clutch Motor Replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 10:32:59 pm »
This removes the inner brushroll housing. The internal hose will be attached to this, and attached to the underside of the changeover valve the other end. Pull it off the changeover valve

ila_rendered

Next, remove the c clips that hold the cleaner head to the chassis.

Pop your flatblade under one end and twist up, it'll pop out of the groove

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

and then pulls off. Do both sides.

Next, flop the cleanerhead down as far as it will go

ila_rendered

Pull the edges of both sides of the pivot apart with your fingers until it clears the chassis, and lift it off (it was impossible to photograph, so have a blurry after!)

ila_rendered

You should now be looking at this (hopefully not the rain or bitter cold part though!)

Next we need to remove the cable. Undo this screw

ila_rendered

and pop these two locking tabs out. I insert my torx driver as shown

ila_rendered

then a sharp tap on the end pops the clips out either side. It looks like this when they go

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 10:38:43 pm »
Then, once released the switch housing pulls off

ila_rendered

You can now see the switch

ila_rendered

Pull it all out, the cable grommit pulls out from its slot in the chassis

ila_rendered

Unplug the two brown wires from the switch, then pull the rubber boot off the blue wire (makes things easier later)

ila_rendered

Not sure what's happened with this picture, the re-size I do has corrupted it I think, but it shows the cable pushed back through the chassis well enough

ila_rendered

Pull the cable out of its slot on the chassis

ila_rendered

Next, we need to remove the Post Motor Filter. There are 3 tabs to carefully pop

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:45:15 pm »
With a blown motor, this filter will look and smell like death, and possibly be melted with bits of molten carbon brush in it. Replace it!

ila_rendered

If the filter is original, it will be glued to the cover, as presumably Dyson replaced the cover and filter. So go ahead and pull the worst off

ila_rendered

Then pick all the rest off, the glue comes with it easily once you get started

ila_rendered

Next, remove the Pre Motor Filter cover

ila_rendered

(it sits here).

ila_rendered

If your filter is minging, go wash it now (either under the tap or in the washing machine. Or treat your machine https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC07-spares.html/DC07-vacuum-filter-pad-kit or https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC07-spares.html/DC07-vacuum-HEPA-filter-kit. Then you will have a spare, so you can wash one and still use the machine, and swap and wash every 6 months. This filter being clogged is possibly why your motor burnt out, although not the only possible cause admittidly...)

Anyway, we are drifting! We now need to remove the motor housing. There are two screws here

ila_rendered

and here

ila_rendered

Undo these, and the motor unit lifts out of the chassis. Pull the spinal wire through too, and set the chassis aside

Pull the ends of the outer vanity cover out and pull the motor housing cover off the motor housing

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 10:50:48 pm »
ila_rendered

Another corrupted but surprisingly arty picture here, we need to release the 4 tabs holding the end plate onto the housing

ila_rendered

Once you have 2 tabs open, it generally comes off with a tug. Be careful though, sometimes the plastic is brittle and a tab will snap. You'll get away with one, if 2 go you'll need a new end cover https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC07-spares.html/DC07-DC14-DC33%20Motor-Retaining-Ring and swap the seal)

ila_rendered

You may well see a build up of hair here, now you can get behind it it pushes out easily

ila_rendered

Push the cable grommit into the motor housing

ila_rendered

Then, find a hard surface that won't matter if it gets marked (do not use the dining room table, ask me how I know...), place the motor down onto it on the belt spindle

ila_rendered

and push! The motor should push itself up the housing

ila_rendered

which loosens it enough to grab the rubber fancase seal and pull it the rest of the way out

ila_rendered

Find the metal belt guard, it will either be attached to the motor housing, attached to the motor or lying where it fell

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 10:56:30 pm »
Remove the rubber seals, we need to transfer these to the new motor.

ila_rendered

The fancase seal lips over the edge

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

then unplug the spinal cord from the motor, and sling the  :dead-dyson: motor in the bin!

Now, we need to re-assemble!

(This is the after shots of my refurbishment, hence why everything looks 100% cleaner! Plenty of how to guides on the forum if you wish to do the same!)

Prop the chassis up against something

Take your new shiney motor, and motor seals

ila_rendered

You will notice that the smaller seal is keyed, along with the motor housing

ila_rendered

This allows it to fit in one way, and not strain the wires. The best way I can describe to fit it is to push the spinal cord through from the inside of the housing. Then, offer the motor up to it, with the motor wires on the same side as the spinal wire enters the housing

ila_rendered

The small seal fits into two holes on the motor case itself. Note the position of these holes, then, ensuring the fat key and thin key are the same side as the housing to the position of the motor in the above picture, pop the seal onto the motor and plug the cables in (brown to red, blue to black)

ila_rendered

Fit the belt guard to the motor housing

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 11:04:31 pm »
Next, we need to fit the motor to the housing. A smear of grease around the inside of the motor housing helps here, or WD40 (although that might smell), vegetable oil would work (you only need a thin smear), or even spit or water ( :-X, it'll evaporate off). This helps the fancase seal not grip the housing, which makes it very tricky to do this part!

Offer the motor up again, but this time tuck the wires around the motor, above the carbon brush holder but under the fancase, then turn the lot over so you can see the keyed seal from the other side, and push it together. It will take a few attempts to line it all up, but eventually it will go. If you find the wires inside unplug, check the wires are routed correctly and not catching, and maybe tape the connectors together to stop it doing it.

Once together, check you can pull the spinal cord out to pop the grommit in place, and you should end up with this

ila_rendered

Refit the motor retaining ring

ila_rendered

Double check the spinal cord is sitting correctly (it does not go through any of the cable holders you see on the housing, that's for a DC33, they use the same part)

ila_rendered

Refit the motor housing cover

ila_rendered

Poke the spinal cord through the top hole

ila_rendered

Drop the motor unit into the chassis and fit the 4 screws

ila_rendered

Poke the spinal cord up through the top into the switch housing area

push it into it's slot up the chassis and push the end into it's slot in the switch housing area

ila_rendered

Now, get your nice new post motor filter (and a nice air freshener if you are so inclined, I'm sure Mvacs will sell you one if you ask nicely, although he does not like them  :underchair:

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 11:08:43 pm »
Drop the air freshener (optional) into the filter housing

ila_rendered

fit the filter, whichever type you chose

ila_rendered

Fit the filter cover

ila_rendered

>:(

Fit your new/washed pre motor filter to the housing

ila_rendered

and fit that to the machine

ila_rendered

Next, lay the thing down, and lower the brushroll housing down past the changeover valve part, pull the edges by the pivot points out and it should drop on nicely

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Check it still moves about fine. If it's stiff, a drop of grease/light oil on the little wheel underneath works wonders!

ila_rendered

Fit the internal hose to the inner brushroll housing. It screws on slightly

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 11:15:41 pm »
Then, fit the other end to the changeover valve (like you removed it earlier, but I did not show)

ila_rendered

Push the inner housing into the pivot points on the outer housing and check it moves freely. If pivoting action is pretty rubbish (the hose IS the spring that makes the head contact the floor), or its torn then you need a new internal hose (https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC07-spares.html/DC04-DC07-DC14-DC33-internal-hose)

ila_rendered

Next, we need to fit the brushroll and belt. Fit the belt to the brushroll, then fit the brushroll to the housing. With the machine 'upright' and on it's side, using your thumb/fingers (if you are fitting a new belt this part is tight, if you are re-using a belt, it'll be ok), slip the belt over the motor spindle. Then rotate the brushroll by hand for several turns to centre it all up

Yes I had to fit a new brushroll because the one on it was scrap

ila_rendered

Fit the baseplate (new baseplate too as it was broken)

ila_rendered

Double check everything still works fine, flops where it should and doesn't flop where it should not, and re-fit the pivot rings. Push one edge on, then push all the way around until it snaps into position

ila_rendered

We are sorted down there. Back up to the top, re-fit the switch and cable

ila_rendered

Refit the switch cover and housing (it will 'snap' into place, then do the screw up. You may need to push the switch to 'on' and hold the switch cover up a bit for it to clear the switch)

ila_rendered

Refit the wand suction channel

ila_rendered

Refit the wand and hose

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 11:19:49 pm »
refit the cyclone and you are assembled!

Now, plug her in and test it out! If nothing happens, then swear a bit, and I'm afraid you should have taken care to not pull the motor wires apart (or you will be lucky and have not plugged the switch back in, but that's unlikely). You will need to have it all apart and have another go (been there MANY times, it sucks I'm afraid!)

But hopefully all will be well, and your DC07 Origin will be fighting fit again, and ready for another decade or more of use!

There are several ways a motor goes:
Old age. Run time wears the motor down, so if you vacuum twice a day for 30 minutes at a time, your motor has just reached the end of it's life!
Running a blocked machine. This increases the work the motor has to do, it runs hot and kills itself
Water damage. Makes the carbon brushes wear down prematurely
Plain old bad luck! Motors are a mass produced item, and like everything made in batches of 50,000, you will get a dud sadly, although the age of a DC07 now, any from the factory that had a duff motor will be long gone/fixed by now!

I hope this helps you change a motor, and if you have any questions, please register and post, there are several of us here that can help!

Thanks

Sam

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 01:47:31 am »
Brill tutorial! DC07's are so good, looks wise, reliablity wise, performance wise, etc! One of my favourite machines.

Regarding motors, weirdly early DC33's had crap motors in them, soooo many blew up after a year's worth of use, next door's blew up too. They got the motor replaced and it's still fighting strong 3 years later and they vacuum between 2-5 times a day every day :)

I wonder what makes motors last longer in a DC07 compared to a DC33 one as they both seem visibly the same, carbons etc :/ (tighter springs?)

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration