The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC28 Height Adjustment Settings Not Functioning  (Read 4960 times)

Offline theheadschoice

DC28 Height Adjustment Settings Not Functioning
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:22:20 am »
Anybody have any problems with the height adjusting buttons before? The machine was basically stuck between all the way down or up and would only react on those two buttons, and after the machine was picked up while it was on a red light in the switch began blinking and now no height adjustment buttons are responsive.

Strange eh? This one's going to be fun.

Offline theheadschoice

Re: DC28 Height Adjustment Settings Not Functioning
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 10:51:58 pm »
Anybody?

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 10:17:00 am »
I've never had a DC28 before, and looking on google quickly, good luck!

Sounds like it's erroring somewhere, then red light blinking will be a fault somewhere. Strip it down and check nothings caught anywhere or jamming it?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline theheadschoice

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 07:40:17 am »
Well, I'm embarrassed to say the problem was actually in the brushroll. I began to take the brush hood assembly apart to attempt a diagnosis of the height adjustment mechanism, and discovered the brush roll to not be fully attached to the small arms they're connected to. Unfortunately, with the DC-28, that brush bar and it's counterparts are only available to purchase with the entire hood assembly.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a lemon.  :'(

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 10:34:20 am »
I wouldn't call you a Lemon, how were you supposed to know it had popped out or whatever it did?

Not having ever seen a 28 I have no idea what it does, but well done!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Madrat

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 01:42:35 pm »
What he said  :thumbsup:

Offline theheadschoice

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 01:11:36 am »
I'm sorry, let me clarify. I was referring to the DC-28 as a lemon because of one thing..

ila_rendered
You have to purchase the entire hood assembly, which retails between 120 and 180, if the brushroll goes bad.

edit: that part number is DY-91750601

The brushroller itself is connected to two arms which go inside the hood. There is no replacement brush roll, there are no replacement arms.. (both the roller and arm needed replacing)

As a consumer, needing to purchase a 150 dollar part to make a machine to function because hair melted a BR endcap, that's preposterous. If that happened on a DC17, for instance, the repair would be somewhere around 103 USD.
In order to fix this DC-28, it's going to cost the customer nearly two hundred dollars including labor (which is a competitive labor rate, mind you.) Because their brush roller went out.

I would not purchase this machine for home use. The height adjustment mechanism is flawed by design.
I hope none of you recommend them to your customers, either. Unless you're going to give them, in writing, a very stern warning about cleaning their brushroller free of hair, floss, string, and pieces of carpet between every second or third use.

I'll post pictures of the damage this coming week once I'm back at the office.

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration