The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover Turbomaster U5094 - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 12115 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Hoover Turbomaster U5094 - Stripdown and Refurb
« on: December 30, 2016, 08:46:08 pm »
Hello everyone!I have alot of writeups to do, am a bit behind so here is one from the end of summer, the day after I got the Xantia in fact! A free Turbomaster, which was amazing as I've always wanted one.

The first shot is of it in the boot

ila_rendered

and the ratings plate, which dates it to June 1989

ila_rendered

It was a bit filthy

But ran rather well, here is the first look/pre refurb video

Not a valid youtube URL
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Hoover Turbomaster U5094 - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 08:49:11 pm »
The very first thing I did was have the hose off for washing, which was a bit dirty

but came up lovely after a trip through the washing machine. Then, a few weeks later, I bought the machine in from the cold, and set to work!

The filth was quite something

ila_rendered

It's also very much like a Turbopower in many ways, which means the handle comes off with 2 screws at the top

ila_rendered

Like so

ila_rendered

The wiring is removed by teasing the plastic peg out

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

and popping the switch out and unplugging it

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 08:54:23 pm »
This allows the harness to be withdrawn

ila_rendered

The top cap of the handle pops off too

ila_rendered

It didn't have any small tools when I got it, however a swap with a Premiere Mini and Hoover Junior with youtuber Numatic Collector/Daniel Shanks netted me 3 used tools, and a spare working motor which may come in handy one day, so that was nice

ila_rendered

Off they came, and off came the bag door

ila_rendered

The air freshener sits behind this little panel here

ila_rendered

Or would if it had one fitted

ila_rendered

The slider scent control pulls out of the main bag door

ila_rendered

The incorrect H18 bag can be removed and binned finally!

ila_rendered

Nice little birds nest at the bottom of the housing, dc16 (the vac, not the american dude on here) took care of that!)

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:00:10 pm »
At the back of the machine, inside the carry handle bit are 2 screws which release the wiring cover

ila_rendered

There is an inner plastic part too which won't remove without unplugging the bag full light

ila_rendered

Once unplugged it falls away easily

and the bag full LED pops out

ila_rendered

The bag door release button is held in with a circlip around the plastic prong

Once released it, the spring and the prong fall out

ila_rendered

Back to the filthy wiring now, and the suction sensor thing needs to be unplugged

ila_rendered

Wiring reference shot

ila_rendered

and it's free

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 09:04:55 pm »
Once de-wired, the sensor pops out of the plastic housing

ila_rendered

and the plastic housing is nearly empty

ila_rendered

Apart from this sprung part, which is actually what clips the bag door closed, the button removed further up just actuates this part

ila_rendered

To remove the plug for the handle wiring, these two tabs need to be popped out

ila_rendered

and out it all comes

ila_rendered

Now this is different to a TP again, these 4 screws need to be removed to remove the plastic part which holds the bag fill tube

ila_rendered

Doing this also releases the mains cable wiring cover/carry handle at the back

ila_rendered

So whilst we are here I'll remove the mains cable and choc block

ila_rendered

then back inside the bag compartment the clip can be fully withdrawn, after removing the bag fill light suction sensor tube from it

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 09:08:48 pm »
Nothing holds the bag fill tube in now, so out it comes

ila_rendered

It's in two parts on the TM, so I undid the tape and separated it

ila_rendered

All down the side of the bag compartment runs some conduit, which carries the spinal cord down the machine

ila_rendered

4 screws halfway up the back removes the tool caddy from the back of the machine

ila_rendered

and 2 screws on the side of the bag housing removes the hose holder

ila_rendered

Looking a  bit barer now!

We now need to work from the bottom up! Baseplate off

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

This is the belt arrangement, very much like the Vax New Wave (which probably copied this tbh)

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 09:18:50 pm »
The Activator lifts out and off the small V belt

ila_rendered

and splits down very much as usual for one of these

ila_rendered

Next, we remove the hood

ila_rendered

Then the height adjustment mechanism can come out, and all that fluff was jamming it up in the before video

ila_rendered

The plate prises out of the spring clip in the adjuster knob

ila_rendered

But that is not all, as on the other side the lens cover has to come off very VERY carefully as they are extinct as spare parts!

ila_rendered

This reveals the other part of the adjuster mechanism, which slides over the lens to 'light up' the segments. This was also jammed up with grit and hard to move

ila_rendered

This part here seems to seal off the motor from this part of the hood

ila_rendered

The bulb was quite dusty too, but worked fine still

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 09:23:26 pm »
Getting there now. Time to remove the trunnion cover. 2 long and 2 short screws here

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Really must look into why IrfanView messes the odd resized image up, but below should show the Trunnion cover removed

ila_rendered

We need to seperate the two parts of the cleaner now, but the spinal cord needs removing and unplugging from the motor

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Once unplugged and out of the way, the two clamps unscrew and lift off

ila_rendered

The two parts will separate now, although this side will need a bit of manouvering as the plastic pivot is nested behind the spring of the brush control, but does come out with a twist and a gentle pull

ila_rendered

Once removed, the two pivot bushes pull off

ila_rendered

I opted to leave the lower cord hook alone, as they are very rare on a Turbopower 1, let alone a Turbomaster and are a sod to fit, I never get it right!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 09:29:14 pm »
Now we can strip down the brush control mechanism. 2 screws and remove the orange cover

ila_rendered

With that removed, the black cover and lilac pedal lift away also

ila_rendered

The lilac pedal operates a cam on the black part, which in turn moves the spring, so with the pedal in one position, the cam locks the spring in one position, kick the pedal forward, it rotates the cam another turn, releasing the lilac pedal and moving the spring back

ila_rendered

This long spring helps here

And this is the spring that moves the belt! An absolute sod to keep in place without the cover, but with the lilac pedal locked in the 'Carpet' position, the spring is released. Locked to the 'hard floor' position, it pushes the spring onto the larger belt, which pushes it onto the non drive part of the 2 belt pulleys we shall look at later! Simple but clever

It pulls out

ila_rendered

Onto the other side, and we have the motor clamp

ila_rendered

Well, did have. With that removed, the motor lifts out of it's dusty seals

ila_rendered

Yet more filth

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 09:33:26 pm »
Now, sitting next to the motor clamp is a Turbomaster thing called (probably) a Suction Diverter Box. This is what moves the suction from tools to floor, and lifts out easily

ila_rendered

This ring sits inside the inlet/outlet part

ila_rendered

4 very short screws hold it together

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

When you move the lever between the modes, it either blocks off the tools and lets the suction run for the brushroll area, or blocks off the brushroll area and lets the suction run to the tools!

ila_rendered

The release pedal lifts out of the chassis next

ila_rendered

and the Bumper lifts off

ila_rendered

Sat on top of the chassis is a metal clamp that holds the belt pulleys in place

ila_rendered

With that removed the pulley assembly can come out, bringing the belts with it

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 09:42:16 pm »
Aha, a Turbopower 1 feature! The front wheels are held in with a spring clip

ila_rendered

Remove that, lift the wheels vertical and the keyed pivots pull out of the chassis. The stepper part of the height control lifts out too

ila_rendered

The rear wheels remove by popping the tabs at the back of the glamour caps from the back of the wheels and removing the circlips

ila_rendered

And the chassis is stripped. Onto the motor now, and the 2 rubber seals can be removed

ila_rendered

As can the bellows

ila_rendered

People have told me that the TM motors are different to TP ones, as TP ones are 440w, TM is 500w. I think their the same apart from a slight size increase, maybe not even that... Pop the spring clips off that hold the fancase on

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Hold a flatblade driver into the belt spindle slot, twist it or the fan anti clockwise whilst holding the fan and the fan comes off

ila_rendered

Mark wires now, for reference the red one connects to the coil by the bulb holder

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 11:31:13 pm »
One thing I like to do on TP motors (and this is a rubbish example) is to score the 2 parts of the housing so it's easier to reassemble correctly

ila_rendered

The wiring from the bulb holder clips to the coil on the other side of the motor

ila_rendered

and it all pulls off

ila_rendered

Undo the 4 screws holding the motor together and it separates, the armature pulling out too

ila_rendered

It's a bit fluffy

ila_rendered

The top bearing, as per a TP sits under a sprung washer to take up any movement, which all pulls out

ila_rendered

I scraped the coil clean

ila_rendered

and removed the carbon brushes from the casing

ila_rendered

The carbon holders slide out too

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 11:37:38 pm »
The fancase bearing pops out after removing the clip that holds it down. The video didn't pick it up too well but it may as well have been hexagonal, it was proper crap to spin by hand

ila_rendered

The armature bearing wasn't much better either, the puller soon made light work of it

ila_rendered

The cooling fan pulls off too

ila_rendered

It's a little bit dirty too, that wouldn't have been helping it run true and smooth

ila_rendered

Motor stripped, time to look at the 'clutch'. Circlip pliers time

ila_rendered

Behind that sits a spacer washer

ila_rendered

and another spacer washer which had to be prised out of it's smeggy hole

ila_rendered

The two pulleys pull off the shaft, separated by another spacer washer

ila_rendered

The driven pulley has a needle roller bearing inside it

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 11:45:44 pm »
The spacer washers that sit either side of the idler pulley

ila_rendered

So that's how it works. The metal pulley carries the V belt from the brushroll, and the spring that's moved by the pedal pushes the belt on or off it. Belt on, brushroll turns. Belt off and onto the idler pulley, no brushroll turney. It's quite sensitive, tall old me pulls the machine up too high in use which moves the belt slightly and knocks the brushroll off...

I greased up the needle roller bearing

ila_rendered

and everything was stripped! I washed this little lot

ila_rendered

and gave it a brief run over with the machine polisher, although not fantastically as my pads really are falling apart, and I'm very low on polish... Still, it made it 80% better!

Reassembly started in reverse

ila_rendered

2 nice new motor bearings were procured, 608's

ila_rendered

and the fancase one pushed into the housing nicely

ila_rendered

Clip fitted

ila_rendered

Carbon holders fitted

ila_rendered

Cooling fan refitted to the armature, looking a bit cleaner

ila_rendered

and the armature bearing pushed on. Bit of wire wool to clean up the armature shaft and these push on nicely by hand, screwing the motor casing together and maybe a tiny tap with a hammer to center it up pushes it the rest of the way.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 11:50:05 pm »
ila_rendered

Coil lowered onto the housing

ila_rendered

Armature fitted (check that the cooling fan is correctly fitted and doesnt foul on the housing), then fit the top of the housing (again, spin the armature, it should be smooth as silk and not bind)

ila_rendered

Very carefully prise the carbon holder caps up, they snap easily

ila_rendered

Fit the carbons and lower the caps back down

ila_rendered

Fit the spacer washers and fan, again check for smooth spinning

ila_rendered

Nice bead of silicone around the fancase (should have been neater but it was going off, so came out a bit crap)

ila_rendered

Fit the fancase top and clips, and clean up the ooze

ila_rendered

Clutch next

ila_rendered

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram