The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoovers vs Kirbys  (Read 9555 times)

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Hoovers vs Kirbys
« on: December 30, 2016, 11:10:18 pm »
So I know the old Hoovers are VERY good machines, they clean really really well and seem to be such a good vacuum, but out of curiosity, why do collectors prefer them over Kirbys? I think Kirbys are more powerful though and they aren't too heavy to push either lol, I never understood the Hoover craze.

Hoovers and Kirbys both agitate very well, both can lift carpets off the floor, both have a nice big bag, headlight, the smooth vintage vacuum sound, the brushbar roars etc etc

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
    • RustySkull Productions YouTube
Re: Hoovers vs Kirbys
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 11:24:09 am »
I am going to find a working vintage Hoover and run a test.
If You Like Machines, Radios and Cars As Well As Vacuum Cleaners Then Check Out The Official RustySkull Productions YouTube!
>>>>>>RustySkull Productions YouTube!<<<<<< >>>>>Twitter<<<<<>>>>>Instagram<<<<<

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 02:49:38 pm »
Cool
I prefer Kirby lol, just feels more powerful

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 03:30:19 pm »
I've done a Kirby g5 vs hoover turbopower... Was a close call, Kirby was slightly better though. I'll try and find it later on my youtube
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 04:20:36 pm »
That's no good, you at least need to use a Hoover of the same time period.
If You Like Machines, Radios and Cars As Well As Vacuum Cleaners Then Check Out The Official RustySkull Productions YouTube!
>>>>>>RustySkull Productions YouTube!<<<<<< >>>>>Twitter<<<<<>>>>>Instagram<<<<<

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 07:59:10 pm »
I think I had a vax mach 5 at the time, not sure what era the g5 is though. Academic now though as I don't own a Kirby anymore!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 08:14:13 pm »
G5's were from 1997 until 1999.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 08:15:23 pm »
I found out my G6 is an early one from April 1999

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 08:22:12 pm »
The tp junior would have been early 90s then, so fairly close!

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 08:45:02 pm »
Nice man! You're almost as old as it is!

Offline taran57

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 09:14:14 pm »
I think people prefer hoovers because they actually had a charterisitc design and were colourful and and modern from their time. Where as kirbies just looked like a rebadged carpet sweeper from the 30s. My friend couldnt believe that a g6 and a dc07 were from the same year. Kirby need to make something that isnt boring.

Offline RustySkull

• Kirby, Royal, Sebo =)
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 09:25:56 pm »
I think people prefer hoovers because they actually had a charterisitc design and were colourful and and modern from their time. Where as kirbies just looked like a rebadged carpet sweeper from the 30s. My friend couldnt believe that a g6 and a dc07 were from the same year. Kirby need to make something that isnt boring.

I think it's the design of the Kirby that makes it. If they didn't look how they do I wouldn't be collecting them.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 09:37:12 pm »
Got the laptop out and here it is! I think the Turbopower is from 1992, it will feature here soon as it needs a refurb

I also did a tools comparison, which the Kirby won hands down because it had amazing suction on the tools

Not a valid youtube URL
Not sure why it doesnt like the second YT link, I blame alcohol...

Offline taran57

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 09:39:39 pm »

I think it's the design of the Kirby that makes it. If they didn't look how they do I wouldn't be collecting them.
Guess i was a little harsh. Generally they are a bit boring but they have had some nice models
(Ds80, red omega)

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration