The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Pre-motor filter dirty  (Read 18026 times)

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
Pre-motor filter dirty
« on: January 11, 2017, 09:44:09 am »
Hi all I still do not know why but my dc07 pre-motor filter is getting so much dirt on it also I checked the post motor filter and to my surprise there what even dirt there which I do not know why would that get there. Never seen any dirt before. But I was wondering if anyone knows probably why as I've cleaned the cyclone out and filter and everything I can do but I can't seem to understand why there is so much dirt in the pre-motor filter. My mum has the dc04 and well I've never so far since having it needed to clean the pre-motor filter.

I would just like to see all your opinions. I feel like I should just get a different Dyson.

Thanks

I will post pictures later.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Re: Pre-motor filter dirty
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 03:35:20 pm »
Stripdown the cyclone. Remove the 3 screws at the cyclone top, remove it and remove the fins at the bottom as well as the shroud above it//. Now leave it in a boiling hot water bath with bleach or washing powder, any detergent you like and leave it sitting for a few hours. Now gie it a proper good rise and let it dry.

Does the filter still get dirty? If so, check the FDC seal The one at the bottom for the cyclone corresponding with the bin flap.

If the problem still persists then you surely need a new cyclone, the early DC07s have quite problematic cyclones, they either clog up with dust or get the filter dirty

Offline Elgin

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:30:52 pm »
Hi all I still do not know why but my dc07 pre-motor filter is getting so much dirt on it also I checked the post motor filter and to my surprise there what even dirt there which I do not know why would that get there. Never seen any dirt before. But I was wondering if anyone knows probably why as I've cleaned the cyclone out and filter and everything I can do but I can't seem to understand why there is so much dirt in the pre-motor filter. My mum has the dc04 and well I've never so far since having it needed to clean the pre-motor filter.

I would just like to see all your opinions. I feel like I should just get a different Dyson.

Thanks

I will post pictures later.
Hi there!
Firstly; You will get quite a bit of dirt on the filter sooner than usual if using your DC07 alot more than regualy, from what you say suggests thats its getting too dirty too quick. Is the cyclone 100% together correctly?
Secondly; The dirt on the post motor filter is the carbon dust from the motor. that filter is there to stop the dust from the carbons spraying out over your beautiful freshly vacuumed carpet.

Hope I helped in someway

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 01:14:18 am »
Thanks for the reply from the both of you I think I may just get a new cyclone, do you think it'll fix the problem. Thanks

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 01:35:53 am »
It should. I have an early DC07 allergy which I refurbished, it's literally mint. The vacuum has not been used enough to get full and yet the filter's got a thin layer of dust on it! I only used it normally. :/

Whereas a DC07 Origin from 2005 that we had would have a spotless filter after about 6 months of use, unless you vacuum up fine dust

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 05:02:35 am »
Yh. I just don't understand my one though, as like you say the dc07 you had and I only vacuum up the average house dirt which the dc04 does fine and not even a single bit of dust is even on the pre motor filter on that.

Do you think I should try and get the one which the cyclone is cut down or any as they all pretty much worked fine didn't they ?

As I do like the dc07 design and well everything about it :)

I would not want to get rid of it over a small issue like that.

Do you know where the best place is to buy them from I will check Manchester vacs first  ;)

Thanks

Offline Elgin

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 05:56:04 pm »
Yh. I just don't understand my one though, as like you say the dc07 you had and I only vacuum up the average house dirt which the dc04 does fine and not even a single bit of dust is even on the pre motor filter on that.

Do you think I should try and get the one which the cyclone is cut down or any as they all pretty much worked fine didn't they ?

As I do like the dc07 design and well everything about it :)

I would not want to get rid of it over a small issue like that.

Do you know where the best place is to buy them from I will check Manchester vacs first  ;)

Thanks

Go on eBay and type in search: DC07 Cyclone, look through ones that has the colour your looking for and check the pictures to see if next to the air outlet of the bin if its a 2 or a 1, your looking for a 2,
Also try asking Manchester vacs if they have any [Whatever colour] style 2 cyclone for the dc07 they could sell you

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 10:00:19 pm »
Thanks for the help.

I found this one https://goo.gl/aDXlMv

It has no bin or handle which I wondered to come on here to ask. I currently have a bin and handle for this one at the moment so I thought to ask does the dc07 fit any handle or bin. If so then I can make an offer on it. It looks not bad and it is a number 2 :) Thanks

Offline Elgin

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 10:53:36 pm »
Thanks for the help.

It has no bin or handle which I wondered to come on here to ask. I currently have a bin and handle for this one at the moment so I thought to ask does the dc07 fit any handle or bin. If so then I can make an offer on it. It looks not bad and it is a number 2 :) Thanks

Yes thats perfect!
Just take your handle assembly off, Make sure the pole on the handle goes into the bin catch on the bottom of the cyclone (Made that mistake once) and then fit your bin.

BTW. What colour machine is it now? wondered if you were going the same original colour or wether your gonna "Pimp it out"

Currently "Pimping out" my 07 Animal (The lavendar purple ones)

Offline Elgin

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 10:55:30 pm »

Offline Elgin

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 10:56:01 pm »
Thanks for the help.

Yes thats perfect!
Just take your handle assembly off, Make sure the pole on the handle goes into the bin catch on the bottom of the cyclone (Made that mistake once) and then fit your bin.

BTW. What colour machine is it now? wondered if you were going the same original colour or wether your gonna "Pimp it out"

Could do with a new cyclone for mine as my cyclone doesn't work at all! Yours is working better than mine even though yours isnt working right!
My cyclone works for about 5 mins then I have to strip and wash again! otherwise I have no suction. Might buy a new one mabey. Or even just try and mod it myself somehow?

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 11:14:27 pm »
Thanks for the help.

Yes thats perfect!

Oh thanks then I will look around still see if I can get any other ones and oh aha thanks for telling me. It is the yellow one, but I do not mind "Pimping out" as I don't really mind as long as I get a new cyclone. Oh true then but it does happen to me as a lot of the dirt just seems to go past the cyclone to the pre motor filter so my suction is bad too as that's why I need a new cyclone. I have also ordered a new filter though.

Offline Elgin

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 11:39:30 pm »
Thanks for the help.

Yes thats perfect!

Oh thanks then I will look around still see if I can get any other ones and oh aha thanks for telling me. It is the yellow one, but I do not mind "Pimping out" as I don't really mind as long as I get a new cyclone. Oh true then but it does happen to me as a lot of the dirt just seems to go past the cyclone to the pre motor filter so my suction is bad too as that's why I need a new cyclone. I have also ordered a new filter though.

That one you posted will be perfect, Just pop your handle on and the clear bin,

RE: Your old cyclone
Does better than mine then, everything sits in the cyclones them selves, Nothing makes its way into the filter and only the odd bits make it into the bin, Gonna have a look at him tomorow and see how clogged it is since last week and If i can do anything to it

Offline Elgin

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 11:41:25 pm »
Thanks for the help.

Yes thats perfect!

Is yours the mostly yellow with the odd grey bits (Early type) I had the later model the same - but with mostly grey instead of Yellow, I prefer the older modles but the cyclones pretty rubbish on them TBH

Offline dragoncurt

• Dyson FTW !
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 12:18:43 am »
Yh I might just buy that one then.

Yh I would look into it, sounds like something could be blocking it as you mentioned earlier there is not much suction.

I do think it is the old one as the cyclone is the not so good version and oh I think the dc04 is made quite good. Get nothing in that filter. Also do you know a good stair tool for the dc07.

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration