The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Finally ran the DC01  (Read 13767 times)

Offline dysondc16

Finally ran the DC01
« on: January 19, 2017, 08:22:18 pm »
Finally was able to get a decent transformer and try out the dc01!

Before plugging in the 01 I tested the transformer on a little goblin handy I also have (would rather that blow up than the 01). After that I fired the 01 up. I did make the mistake of casually letting the plug drop and it snapped off one of the "mud flaps" over the wheels  :censored: Luckily it glued back on very nicely.

I only gave it a quick run through one room, the motor sounds like it could use a service. One day I can hopefully work up the courage to do that. I have to say it was much better than expected. Suction is better than most of the american fantoms, and the brush groomed far more than I anticipated.

After that I also brought out the dc02, which runs very nicely. I used that for a thorough clean of my bedroom. I have to say that the dc02 is properly powerful compared to it's american cousin. 

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Finally ran the DC01
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 10:55:20 pm »
Bloody hell the dc02s American cousin must be properly shit if you think the 02 is powerful!

Awesome to see them over there though! Work through one of my 01 rebuild threads, and remove the cyclone bleed valves and tape over the area, improves the suction no end (just be careful not to block it up whilst vacuuming for a long time)
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 04:44:56 am »
Bloody hell the dc02s American cousin must be properly shit if you think the 02 is powerful!

Awesome to see them over there though! Work through one of my 01 rebuild threads, and remove the cyclone bleed valves and tape over the area, improves the suction no end (just be careful not to block it up whilst vacuuming for a long time)

I wouldn't say that the fantom lightning is pure shite, but the dc02's suction definitely feels sharper. The powerhead on the fantom does make a comparison on carpet unfair, and the fantom plastic seems better  :underchair:

When I do take it apart your rebuild thread will be next to me for the entire process!

Offline taran57

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 04:46:37 am »
Broken it already
Told you it would be safer with me :underchair:

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:49:18 am »
Broken it already
Told you it would be safer with me :underchair:

You would have broken it getting the thing up those stairs!  :))

Offline taran57

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 04:53:54 am »
The 17 is sitting out in the back stairway until i find a suitable storage for it  :(

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 04:56:12 am »
I'm really sorry it ended up being such a project  :(

Offline taran57

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 04:58:45 am »
Dont be! Its the fun of it all! Gonna build a mint DC17 as they are all so beat up

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 05:00:38 am »
Dont be! Its the fun of it all! Gonna build a mint DC17 as they are all so beat up

Glad it's fun then! Can't wait to see it when its finished, will be the only mint dc17 in the world (other than Mvac's one)

Offline taran57

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 05:07:17 am »
Need another cyclone too, someone took this one apart and used a drill to reassemble it, deforming most of the screwholes and bosses. Thats ok as i was planning on using an allergy blue one anyway. Just glad the motors are still good.

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 05:09:14 am »
Need another cyclone too, someone took this one apart and used a drill to reassemble it, deforming most of the screwholes and bosses. Thats ok as i was planning on using an allergy blue one anyway. Just glad the motors are still good.

:censored: I had no idea

Hope you can get a hold of a blue cyclone!

Offline taran57

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 05:12:37 am »
Gonna see if i can get ahold of a blue machine

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 03:50:45 pm »
Cool!

I always found the DC01 to have a sprinkle of magic in it. It seems to magic up it's power. The brush does groom pretty well, despite the low suction. There's always a massive dust ball spinning around in the bin regardless of what vacuum was used prior to it ;D

I cant believe it's better than Fantoms, Americans rave about them and bash DC07s :o

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 03:56:02 pm »
You need a DC04 Silver lime :icon_nod: Those are so much better

Offline dysondc16

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 10:14:35 pm »
Cool!

I always found the DC01 to have a sprinkle of magic in it. It seems to magic up it's power. The brush does groom pretty well, despite the low suction. There's always a massive dust ball spinning around in the bin regardless of what vacuum was used prior to it ;D

I cant believe it's better than Fantoms, Americans rave about them and bash DC07s :o

Honestly I still think the fantoms are made with better plastics than the early dysons, but the performance really doesn't stack up. Especially the fantom fury, the one MVacs has and what Mr. Dyson himself stated in his autobiography is essentially the american dc01. The others are a little better (namely with agitation) but still don't match the suction of the 01.

There is one fantom that hasn't really been mentioned on here I plan to do a thread about, it was their last upright and had 2 motors. That's probably the best one performance wise.

You need a DC04 Silver lime :icon_nod: Those are so much better

Eventually perhaps but not for a good while!

DC01 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration