The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC59 Main Brush Head Not Spinning  (Read 6666 times)

Offline tightoldgit

DC59 Main Brush Head Not Spinning
« on: April 20, 2017, 01:48:43 pm »
Hi Folks,
After being persuaded by adverts and a discount we bought a DC59 just over 2 years ago...so the warranty has just ran out. Typical...after 2 years of trouble free performance, all of a sudden the main brush head starts to slow down, and eventually stops altogether when it's in contact with the a carpeted floor...although spins freely when not in contact. I have dismantled the head assembly and thoroughly cleaned everything out, and made sure the motor/belt/cogs etc are all running smoothly...but it's made no difference.
I've also swapped the head to the mini brush head, which works absolutely fine...so the fault is not with the motor or wand connections.
Dysons response has been less than sympathetic, and they are only offering their 'fixed price' repair service @ £79/99 or the buying of a replacement brush head and/or motor head @ £70 & £90.
They have suggested that the fault may be with some electrical limit switches in the motor assembly, but also that these are not offered as spares, and not guaranteed to fix the problem.
Does anyone have any experience with this fault, or any suggestions as to how to fault-find/DIY the problem?
Thanks for reading this post...all replies welcomed!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:33:52 pm »
The brush motors usually slow down and cut out if there's too much stress on the motor. Which kind of carpeting are you using it on? I've seen people complain about things like these and include a video to shows what's happening- The brush gets stuck against the carpeting. Have you had a new kind of carpet recently?

Offline tightoldgit

Re: DC59 MAIN BRUSH HEAD NOT SPINNING
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:30:51 pm »
If only it was that simple a solution I could understand it...but this fault even happens on tiled and wooden floors, and we haven't recently changed carpets or bought a long haired dog! It seems that even the slightest resistance causes the brush to stop rotating.
Don't know if it's connected, but the stop/start button has to be really squeezed hard to keep the main motor running. It always was a bit tricky, but seems to have got worse over time...
I have always regularly removed & cleaned the brush in the head, as this clogs up at the ends very frequently...which is a real ball-ache, but then I guess it's doing it's job...

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:04:48 pm »
In that case I'd recommend a new head. I had a DC50 upright with a brushbar that would cut out at the slightest resistance on floors after a few seconds. A replacement head resolved the issue. My old DC50 head was all clean and the brush turned nicely by hand and still cut out. It was the little brush motor at fault

Offline Elgin

Re: DC59 Main Brush Head Not Spinning
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:04:55 pm »
In that case I'd recommend a new head. I had a DC50 upright with a brushbar that would cut out at the slightest resistance on floors after a few seconds. A replacement head resolved the issue. My old DC50 head was all clean and the brush turned nicely by hand and still cut out. It was the little brush motor at fault
DC50! Just emails Dyson about how P****ed I am with how my uncles DC50 is, not even a year old and everyday spending a good hour unclogging it.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram