The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC14 not picking up dog hair  (Read 6390 times)

Offline rmb3971

DC14 not picking up dog hair
« on: May 08, 2017, 11:10:01 am »
Hello, I need some help please...
I acquired a DC14 last year. It's never been especially good at picking up dog hair (we have three collies) but seems to be getting worse..
It seems to just comb the dog hairs into nice neat lines, then takes many many more passes to pick them all up.

The suction through the tools is amazing so it's not that.
I empty after every use, clean filters etc (also have very old DC07 so know how important that is to performance).

Motor sounds fine but there is also a slight background 'moan' which alters on movement of the machine, so I wonder if it is to do with the clutch?
On the old clutchless DC07 I change the belt as soon as performance drops.

Should I change any or all of: the brush roller belt, the clutch belt or the clutch itself?  Or is there anything else which would help please.

Any advice gratefully received.
Many thanks
Roz

Offline GeorgeJ

• English? I'm never going to England!
    • Some dirty pics ;)
Re: DC14 not picking up dog hair
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:54:00 am »
I would disconnect the hose that connects to the head, tilt the machine so the beater bar spins (but keep on floor mode) and see if there is suction coming from the hose (also check the hose for holes or tears). 

It sounds like the beater bar is spinning, but if you don't know the history of the machine, I would replace the belts, as well.

You might want to replace the hepa filter if you haven't already. 

Also, the moan could be the clutch or the bearings in the beater bar.   Again, if you don't know the history of machine, you must assume little to no maintenance was done, so the bears may need to be replaced. 
You miss 100% of the Dysons you don't buy.  -Wayne Gretzky
 -Michael Scott  -GeorgeJ

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 01:37:32 pm »
The belts could be worn and therefore causing the brush to not groom well, but it sounds like it's a suction issue if the hair is being groomed into straight lines, it should be picked up.

The internal hose acts as a spring to push the head into the floor

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 02:42:38 pm »
I'd check or replace the internal hose. If it doesn't push down on the brushroll housing enough it kills performance (assuming you have suction from it.

With the machine upright, lay it on it's side and rotate the hose 1/3 a turn either way and see if the brushroll springs about by hand. Or just use the machine and see if you feel a difference. Be a tad careful as if you twist the hose too far one way it will come off, but it's not terribly tricky to put back on.

If it's very floppy, either bung it through the washing machine (with the pre motor filter and cage) which stiffens it up a bit, or buy a new one, their not expensive. I have to set up every one of my refurbs by twisting and checking the hose, and you can tell the difference when you get it right!

Or/and your brushroll is worn maybe? Not quite long or stiff enough to flick the hairs up into the air path. Again, not especially expensive, if you chat to Stu on here he would probably send you a filter set, brushroll, clutch (although that will be tricky to fit without the lifter tool) and internal hose for a keen price.

Or if you are near Thame in Oxfordshire bring it round and I'll have a look!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Elgin

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 06:25:20 pm »
First off: What model DC14 - or at least what colours has it got? This is a question so we can direct you to parts compatible for your machine - one thing are belts are differnt from different machine models.
Staying on the lines of everyone else since they are most likely the solution -
Replace the internal hose - thats here: https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC14-spares.html/DC04-DC07-DC14-DC33-internal-hose

Now these next solutions are based on the model of DC14 you have:
You may need a brushroll and belts.
If you have a Yellow and Grey DC14 - The DC14 Origin:
Replace the belts - They are here: https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC14-spares.html/dyson-drive-belts
Replace the brushroll - And thats here: https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC14-spares.html/brushroll-non-clutch-dc04-dc07-dc14

However if you have a clutched machine (Any other colour than Yellow) they have a knob coloured the colour of your machine on the cleaner head:
Belts: https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC14-spares.html/clutch-belts
and Brushroll: https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC14-spares.html/dyson-clutched-brushroll-DC04-DC07-DC14-DC33

Again - The parts depend on what model of Dc14 you have so if you could confirm the colour of your machine I and everyone else here can help you find the correct part
Hope I helped

Offline Madrat

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 07:08:47 pm »
Something is blocked, ripped or otherwise missing.  Defiantly check the inner hose first.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 07:12:46 pm »
I've done both kinds of 14 in a rebuild thread I think (if not then there's one certainly, and that part will be the same), so if you find a hole or something missing, have a check!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Elgin

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 07:39:03 pm »
I've done both kinds of 14 in a rebuild thread I think (if not then there's one certainly, and that part will be the same), so if you find a hole or something missing, have a check!
Thats what I was gonna put in - Beko has loads of threads about refurbs and stuff so look out for them - i completely forgot to add that in... Knew I was forgetting something when I was pressing that post button

Offline rmb3971

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 11:22:17 am »
Thanks for all the replies received. I'm working through the suggestions bit at a time. There's definitely suction at the inner hose if I disconnect it from the head and no apparent holes or tears.

It's a DC14 Animal, grey and purple, CLIC (Challenging Cancer and Leukaemia In Children) edition.

I do have the belt lifter tool.... just can't quite remember where I put it yet.

Kind offer beko1987 thanks but not close. However I will probably change the hose anyway following your advice along with whatever else.

Thanks all

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 11:26:52 am »
I didn't know they did a dc14 clic... You sure it's not a dc04 or dc07? The Clic branding makes me think 07, the DC04 was branded Marie Curie

Not that it makes much difference, the parts you need are the same on the 04,07,14 and 33!

Good luck! The inner hose only has to be floppy and not torn to cause issues!

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration