The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC14 (with clutch) - Motor Replacement how to guide!  (Read 39652 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
I took these pictures ages ago (back in November 2016 I think) , so thought it best to write them up! This will show you step by step how to change the motor in a clutched DC14!

You will need:

An Motor - https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC14-spares.html/dyson-motor-ydk-yv-dc04-dc07-dc14-dc27-dc33
An Post Motor Filter, either -
             Pad - https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC14-spares.html/DC07-DC14-Post-Motor-Filter-Pad
             Or HEPA, depending on what your machine currently has, both are interchangeable though) https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC14-spares.html/DC07-DC14-HEPA-filter
A Belt Lifter makes the job alot easier (https://manchestervacs.co.uk/Dyson/DC14-spares.html/Dyson-Belt-Removal-Tool) but it's not critical.

Right, onto the job itself!

Remove the bin

Remove the cable

ila_rendered

Remove the Wand

ila_rendered

and remove the hose

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Next, undo this screw behind the switch

Then, with a flatblade screwdriver, gently pop these tabs back (I think this is the last thing to be written up with images from my old phone thank goodness!)

ila_rendered

They just push back into the machine (which half pushes the switch cover off in the process on the other side)

ila_rendered

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Dyson DC14 (with clutch) - Motor Replacement how to guide!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 09:21:14 pm »
You will see it separating

ila_rendered

Just pull it off!

ila_rendered

Here is the switch and mains cable join

Pull it all out

Open the black box and separate the two blue wires

Pull the brown wire from the switch and the cable is off! Remove the other wire from the switch too

ila_rendered

Feed the spinal cable out the back of the chassis, and pull it from the cable run

ila_rendered

Next, we need to remove the Post Motor Filter. If you have suffered the full house motor blowout this will be messy...

Pop the two tabs carefully up

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 09:26:10 pm »
Then one last tab at the front

ila_rendered

and off it lifts!

ila_rendered

This isn't the worst one I've seen! If it properly catches fire this goes all crispy!

ila_rendered

Now, remove the clutch cover. Prise it off from the top and bottom of the join with a good screwdriver, the clips will give up fairly easily

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Now flip the machine over, and twist the 3 tabs 1/4 a turn and remove the base plate

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Lift the belt if you have the lifter, or just remove the brushroll

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

At this point, go and cut all the hair and threads off your brushroll! It's much easier when it's out of the machine

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 09:31:55 pm »
Now to remove the inner brushroll housing. I use a screwdriver very carefully at the edges by the pivot points. A slight prise up and they pop out. Keep everything square though

ila_rendered

When it's hanging, pull the internal hose off the machine

ila_rendered

Remove the wand u-bend suction channel

ila_rendered

Then, remove the clutch cover. Put the machine in the 'upright' position if it isn't already. One screw is hidden 10cm down in this hole

ila_rendered

The other two are more easy to spot! Then lift the cover off and out

ila_rendered

Pop the motor to clutch belt off

ila_rendered

Grab both belts and pull HARD AND FIRMLY

ila_rendered

And off it comes! If the belts are knackered or the white wheel has melted away, search the forums because we have rebuild threads, and Mvacs sell the white wheel, or a reconditioned clutch.

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 09:36:10 pm »
Now for the main head. Either side is a plastic circlip. Pop one end up and the rest will follow

ila_rendered

Once removed, flop the machine down like so

Then pull either end out slightly

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

and lift the head off the vacuum

ila_rendered

Remove the air path cover next to the motor by pushing up the clip and lifting the cover off

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Now, remove 4 screws. 2 here on one side

ila_renderedila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 09:42:31 pm »
And two the other side

ila_rendered

Lift the motor unit off the chassis and pull the wire through

ila_rendered

Pull the edges of the front cover out and lift off the motor housing

ila_rendered

Push this cable grommit into the housing

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Then release the 4 tabs holding  the locking ring onto the housing

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

On some flooring that won't be marked, hold the motor belt spindle down by the housing, and push hard. It should move upwards an inch, then grab the black fancase seal and pull the motor out. The wires will either come easily or get caught on this part here

ila_rendered

The old motor is out!

ila_rendered

Remove the rubber seals and give them a bit of a clean so they seal nicely again, and clean the motor housing (if it's filthy, pop it in the dishwasher or wash it with soapy water and a brush! Dry it obviously...)

Now, get your new motor and we can begin re-assembly

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 09:53:35 pm »
ila_rendered

First, connect the wires back up, and possibly pop a lick of tape around the connections so they don't pull apart, because it's annoying having to strip the entire thing down again just to pop a wire back in!)

ila_rendered

Rubber it up. The belt spindle end is keyed with a fat and thin protrusion. Hold the motor like so, observing where the cable will sit around the side of the carbon brush and exits the motor housing, then fit the seal to the motor so the keyed segments will be in the correct location.

Pop a thin smear of grease or WD40 or childrens bubble solution around the inside of the motor housing

ila_rendered

Then slide the motor home, ensuring the seal fits properly

ila_rendered

Refit the locking ring, it's keyed too so only goes on one way

ila_rendered

Pop the cable back through the machine using this hole

ila_rendered

Refit the outer trim to the motor housing, then fit that to the chassis (lean the chassis up against something, it makes it much easier!) The housing should sit like this against the inner channel

ila_rendered

Put the 4 screws back in and run the cable up the machine and into the switch housing area

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 09:58:24 pm »
Pop the air duct back on

ila_rendered

Fit a new post motor filter

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Then snap the cover back down (it slides into the back first, then pushes down and clips on)

ila_rendered

Refit the main cleaner head

ila_rendered

And check the changeover valve operates properly, and re-fit the circlips

ila_rendered

Clutch now. Before fitting the clutch, ensure it's the correct way up, then slip the small belt over the motor spindle. Then fit the clutch to it's housing, ensuring the locating groove is met at the top and bottom, it should push nicely flush with the screw posts

Ensure the metal belt guard is fitted to the clutch cover

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 10:02:44 pm »
Then fit that and screw it down!

ila_rendered

Brushroll housing now, fit the hose to the machine first (push fit)

ila_rendered

Then fit the housing to the head. The hose acts as a spring too, when you push on the back of the brushroll housing it should spring back nicely. If it does not, rotate the hose a fraction either way until it does, or replace the hose as it's knackered)

ila_rendered

Refit the brushroll

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

and base plate

ila_rendered

U-Bend on

ila_rendered

Switch now, pop the mains cable back in and route the cable

ila_rendered

Connect the switch and neutral wire up

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 10:07:39 pm »
Rest the switch button on the switch

ila_rendered

Then lower the housing over that, check both tabs click in and pop the screw in

Refit the hose, wand and take it for a test drive! I hope the wires didn't pull apart on you...

All done! I hope this helped, please comment if you have any questions, there's about 20 of us on here who can help!

Offline Elgin

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 11:32:06 pm »
Great thread as always Beko!
BTW - did you cut the cable back a bit? I noticed the spades wern't the original dyson ones on the power cable, and the plug doesn't quite go round the top cord hook? anyways good work!
Edit: just noticed its a difffernt machine from the start - at the end its an animal, the start it had all the white buttos etc.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 07:19:20 am »
Well spotted! Yes the cables cut back, they break as they enter the machine regularly

Offline mrdyson

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 08:18:45 am »
Great guide  :tiphat:

Offline GeorgeJ

• English? I'm never going to England!
    • Some dirty pics ;)
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 03:13:10 pm »
Excellent work!  It was a guide like this which helped me fix my own and both got me into Dysons and got me to this forum (for better or worse! :))).

Thanks, Beko!
You miss 100% of the Dysons you don't buy.  -Wayne Gretzky
 -Michael Scott  -GeorgeJ

Offline Elgin

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 03:53:57 pm »
Excellent work!  It was a guide like this which helped me fix my own and both got me into Dysons and got me to this forum (for better or worse! :))).

Thanks, Beko!
Definatly for better  :underchair:

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration