The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC41 'upright cam' missing?  (Read 11275 times)

Offline the dyson man-penzance

DC41 'upright cam' missing?
« on: June 28, 2017, 09:15:06 am »
Did a stripdown of my first DC41 back in Jan this year, identified it needed a new motor and put all the parts in a box to re-assemble later.....this month, got a motor (from a dc38) fitted and then found I seem to have mislaid the actuating cam for the upright/angle mechanism.  I also seem to have a black plastic L-shaped piece with a spring which fits over the shaft, but for the life of me I can't see how this works or where it goes, have attached pics, any help would be much appreciated.

......if it aint broke, take it apart and see how it works.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
Re: DC41 'upright cam' missing?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 12:27:47 pm »
The one in the first pic doesn't go with the DC41, the other one you may have (a slightly obtuse angled L shape) is the one. The spring  is also smaller and less stiff, use that. It's quite easy to put on, like a DC25 one kinda. Basically when you put the stabiliser upright it should interact with the switch

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 12:31:52 pm »
sorry, not a word of what you just wrote make any sense to me, try again.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 12:34:42 pm »
The black cam thing in the first pic you provided does not belong to the DC41. The other one you have (the L shaped one) is the one that belongs to the DC41 with it's microswitch.

Basially, fit the spring to it and then pull the other end of the spring over to fit behind the plastic wall. Put it in a way so that it interacts and presses the microswitch when the stabilisers of the vacuum are in the upright position

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 12:47:54 pm »
let me try and explain to you what doesn't make sense in your 2nd reply
The black cam thing in the first pic you provided does not belong to the DC41. The other one you have (the L shaped one) do you mean just the spring? is the one that belongs to the DC41 with it's microswitch.

Basially, fit the spring to it how? and then pull the other end of the spring over to fit behind the plastic wall what plastic wall?. Put it in a way so that it interacts and presses the microswitch which part of the microswitch? when the stabilisers of the vacuum are in the upright position
[/quote]

sorry mate, you are not making yourself clear.

if anyone else knows, or can explain what he's talking about, please jump in.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 12:56:20 pm »
let me try and explain to you what doesn't make sense in your 2nd reply
The black cam thing in the first pic you provided does not belong to the DC41. The other one you have (the L shaped one) do you mean just the spring? is the one that belongs to the DC41 with it's microswitch.

Basially, fit the spring to it how? and then pull the other end of the spring over to fit behind the plastic wall what plastic wall?. Put it in a way so that it interacts and presses the microswitch which part of the microswitch? when the stabilisers of the vacuum are in the upright position

sorry mate, you are not making yourself clear.

if anyone else knows, or can explain what he's talking about, please jump in.
[/quote]

########################################################################################

Right,  the L shaped black cam is what I was referring to, I presume you have it since you mentioned you did?

On this black cam, on one side there's a groove where a spring fits, it's quite hard to describe but it's literally self explanatory. the spring has a short end and it fits in this L shaped black cam perfectly.

Now you need to fit it to the plastic pin of the motor housing cover (because it has a hole).

The way you fit it:

Face the vacuum from the exact way you took pic 2. The black cam will be fitted like a V shape  in the way you fit it (hope that's clear enough).

The other end of the spring that's sticking out, bend it slightly downwards  so it fits in with the plastic wall. It's the plastic piece sticking out, about 2 cm long right next to the plastic pin sticking out, by the micro switch.

Once fitted, make sure you know it works for sure. To do this, put the vacuum upright and see if the switch gets pressed by the black cam.

Sorry if it's not making sense but it is quite hard to describe. It's the best I could do since I've not got a pic of the way it goes on. These new Dysons are quite complicated, they have a lot of springs that fit on in certain ways, they only go on one way. Sorry mate...

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 01:06:03 pm »
yes, I have the black cam, its in the first pic I took, with the spring fitted over it, you said it wasn't anything to do with it, make up your mind mate, you're just contradicting what you said !!!

....somebody else, PLEASE HELP

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:10:36 pm »
yes, I have the black cam, its in the first pic I took, with the spring fitted over it, you said it wasn't anything to do with it, make up your mind mate, you're just contradicting what you said !!!

....somebody else, PLEASE HELP

You stated in the first post that "I also seem to have a black plastic L-shaped piece with a spring which fits over the shaft"

This is the black cam I was referring to. ^ This is the one that belongs to your vacuum.

The black cam that you photographed, has no association wt the DC41 and doesn't belong to the DC41 at all. Ignore that black cam and focus on the L shaped black cam you have because that is the one I was referring to and is the one you mentioned you have. There's no contradiction, it's just that. Feel free to read over again.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 01:13:30 pm »
that black cam I photographed IS L shaped and IS the one I was talking about.......perhaps it would be best to give me a part number for whatever piece it is that YOU are talking about.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 01:16:50 pm »

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 01:18:23 pm »
now it makes sense, I have neither of those items
thank you and sorry for the confusion.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 01:19:45 pm »
No problem.

Offline GeorgeJ

• English? I'm never going to England!
    • Some dirty pics ;)
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 07:47:10 pm »
The Dyson Man, please have more patience and respect for our members.
You miss 100% of the Dysons you don't buy.  -Wayne Gretzky
 -Michael Scott  -GeorgeJ

Offline mrdyson

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 01:45:44 pm »
I though this was going to be taken outside  :biglaugh:

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 02:41:51 pm »
Hahaha :))

Dyson Spare Parts