The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Poor suction from floor  (Read 3997 times)

Offline tangotonyb

Poor suction from floor
« on: July 13, 2017, 04:05:49 pm »
Bit of an odd one - the suction is VERY powerful at the wand, but it is pathetic at floor level - I can drive the vac slowly over specs of paper and they just stay put.

In checking it out, I've noticed a couple of things.
1) Where it diverts the vac between the wand and the brush unit. I notice that although the unit appears to move normally, when fully positioned over the brush unit opening, it also still covers a small portion of the wand opening. I'm guessing this is to prevent the vac from getting too stuck on the floor? Or is there a problem here?
See image attached

2) There is a whistling sound, like air escaping where the washable filter is located - if vac is being lost here, it is probably negligible as I can't feel any suction with my fingers - should there be rubber strips around the washable filter cover? EIther way, this would effect the wand vacuum as well and that feels pretty strong to me.

3) another user reported similar issue and the issue was the base plate not sitting flush, but in mine this is not the case - see attached photo

I've checked the hose that connects the body and the baseplate for leaks and it is sound.

Any thoughts?

Offline tangotonyb

Re: Poor suction from floor
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 12:42:54 pm »
UPDATE

I've been able to compare with another DC07 and the suction appears to be not as good as I originally thought which may be the problem.

The vents at the base of the cyclone unit are really blowing hard - the "good" dc07 has much less blowing out. The "bad" unit noise is higher pitched - not a motor whine, but definitely the sound of rushing air. The "good" unit has a stronger vacuum noticeable at the end of the wand.

Seal inside motor??

Offline tangotonyb

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:41:36 pm »
UPDATE #2

I've stripped it right back and compared iwth working DC07.

Comparing the suction at the entry point to the Cyclone system, so with the motor and pre-motor filter in place the working cleaner is significantly more powerful - the faulty one still sucks my hand in a bit, but the working one feels like it wants to rip my fingers off :)

With the post motor filter removed from both, the working cleaner has a gentle stream of air coming out. Without the post-motor filter cover on, and the filter in place, the faulty one has enough power to blow the filter a couple of feet into the air!

Offline wolf

• dyson repairer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:19 pm »
on your first picture is the slide valve moving smoothly, and does this select from park to shift  ;)
wolf

Offline tangotonyb

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 10:04:18 am »
Irrelevant mate - read the updates.
I'd edit the original but can't find any way of doing that.

Offline tangotonyb

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 02:03:37 pm »
OK

So narrowed it down to the pre-motor filter housing.

If I remove this and cover the motor input directly, the cleaner sounds laboured and the output "wind" drops. If I simply tape up the spout of the filter holder and the pressure release valve, the cleaner sounds just the same and the output air is almost as powerful, so the cleaner is clearly pulling air in around the edges of the filter holder.

Not sure why this is - My other DC07 has no seals here either and that is fine.

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration