The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Dyson DC40 Mk1 (Pre EU) - Stripdown and Refurbishment  (Read 88637 times)

Offline Volvoguy745

Re: Dyson DC40 Mk1 (Pre EU) - Stripdown and Refurbishment
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 01:41:18 am »
I joined MANCHESTERVACS after dismantling a DC40 I “found” on trash day last month. It needed a  new motor which I installed a new motor, tested it and it runs great. I assembled the COV hose and it seems to function properly. Then I realized that I was in way over my head. Conceptually I know what has to be done but there’s like half a dozen parts I don’t recognize any more. I’ve searched the internet again and found this post which will give me some help. Can anyone help me with more detailed assembly diagrams? Any help will be appreciated.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2018, 08:01:27 am »
I joined MANCHESTERVACS after dismantling a DC40 I “found” on trash day last month. It needed a  new motor which I installed a new motor, tested it and it runs great. I assembled the COV hose and it seems to function properly. Then I realized that I was in way over my head. Conceptually I know what has to be done but there’s like half a dozen parts I don’t recognize any more. I’ve searched the internet again and found this post which will give me some help. Can anyone help me with more detailed assembly diagrams? Any help will be appreciated.

HI Man! (found your PM, then found your post, so I'll reply here!) 2.3 or 2.4 Volvo 745?

Well, you've done well getting stuck in! This is (as far as I know) the only post about the DC40 with as much details of its kind on the internet, so it's all you've got! I try to structure the writing and pictures so it's almost follow-able with a few beers, so if you've got the motor back in, you can skip down to the re-assembly part, past the cyclone guff.

The exploded drawings might help (https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,1820.0.html) but not knowing what you have taken off doesnt help much, All I can say is hopefully if you study the diagrams and pictures, youll work out what you have yet to put together. Otherwise box it all up and send it to Mvacs and they'll nail it together for a fee!

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline Volvoguy745

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2018, 01:29:50 pm »
Yo. It's me again. I got two more parts crammed into the devil ball after posting last night. Thank you for the diagram but I got that already. It's how I confirmed which parts I needed. But it lacks the detail for the parts I have yet to install. I can probably get a diagram to assemble a thermonuclear device from the internet -- but not my vacuum cleaner! I studied your photos again and see two more parts I can get in -- the six toothed gear and it's keeper. I'll post a photo of what's left when I get that done. The leftovers are probably to protect wires or leading edges for when the internals rotate. Two little black bits. Thanks for support so far. volvoguy745.
PS: Thanks for the offer. But if I can get the Volvo apart and back running, I should be able to do the Dyson. The Volvo's a b230 NA. Have had it for 25+ years. We both retired together. Now we're trying to keep each other running. It's survival of the fittest.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2018, 08:30:35 pm »
Oh the yolk wiring loom is a right sod! It sits (as you look at it) on the left hand side. The wires wrap around the black plastic part first, inside the 2 channels. Then the silver part slides on top of that. Then the whole thing slides into the channel, and sits in the cut-out of the main outer shell.

It WILL fall apart several times, it WILL bind up and fall out and you WILL be driven to alcohol. Takes me ages every time and I've done a few now!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2018, 08:37:25 pm »
See if these help, their from a DC40 Mk2 thread I have yet to write

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

From what I've learnt from the many volvo-ists on Autoshite youll have more ease removing your dashboard without breaking ANY bits of plastic than doing the 40 loom right first time, but once it goes in it feels good! The plug for the head WILL keep coming out of its notch though, be prepared for that

Offline Volvoguy745

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2018, 03:11:08 pm »
Thank you for the additional photos. They were a great help. After some struggling, I got the plug and the wire close to where they belong. With your input the following questions will be answered in coming episodes. Where should I put the “excess” wire? 1) It seems to interfere at the top end. 2) I just couldn’t squeeze it all into the bottom end. BTW What exactly is the function of the other end of the yoke? 3) What is the function of the crystal cog? 4) Is this the secret “key” that’ll solve the mystery of the devil ball? Thanks again for the photos and advice. volvoguy745 Removing our dashboard was not as frustrating as this!

Offline Beaker_clueless

• Just like fixing my own stuff !
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2020, 08:12:16 pm »
Wanted to say thanks for this post.  Brush roller became intermittent on my DC40 and, you'll never guess, it's just over 5 years old !  From your photos I managed to strip it down and identify the responsible cable assembly (which was making / breaking as the Dyson was tilted).  The yoke lock was also broken. 
But I now have a working DC40 again - although it was a right pain to re-assemble & took me 3 goes to get together properly - I couldn't have done it without your pics.
Many thanks  :thumbsup:

Offline haydent

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2023, 01:02:06 am »
thank you !

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram