The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC07 getting difficult to push across carpet  (Read 12356 times)

Offline themuver

DC07 getting difficult to push across carpet
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:03:50 pm »
hello, just wondered if anyone has experienced their DC07 becoming increasingly difficult to push across the floor.  It has the usual problem of the hose being stretched to it's limit which makes cleaning carpet edges difficult if not used with caution.  The motor also seems to be getting a little hot and smells of burning occasionally and I am just waiting to see flames coming from the sides, like a hot rod ha ha !!  anyway if anyone has any ideas, I would be very grateful.  I expect most of the responses will be get it serviced, and I think that will be the way to go, as I really do not want to get any other vacuum.  Thank you for any comments/advice anyone may be able to give. 

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: DC07 getting difficult to push across carpet
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:05:34 am »
Is the base plate covered in black shyte? Or worn thin?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline themuver

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 09:57:57 am »
Is the base plate covered in black shyte? Or worn thin?

Thanks beko1987 but apart from a couple of black bits, base plate is quite clean and not worn thin. 

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:06:43 am »
Fair enough! Does it have wheel underneath? Are they seized? Has it always been this bad or is it a recent thing? Changed your carpet recently?
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline themuver

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 10:25:34 am »
Fair enough! Does it have wheel underneath? Are they seized? Has it always been this bad or is it a recent thing? Changed your carpet recently?

thanks to your previous reply, I have just rung a local Dyson dealer/repairer and he asked me to check baseplate which I did and the single brushes at the side of the baseplate are sitting a bit "proud" of the plate and he suggests a new plate and possible brushes may solve the problem.  I do appreciate your help, have a nice day !!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 10:27:55 am »
Ah that might do it then, the metal part will be dragging on the floor. The brushes themselves should sit proud anyway. If you take the baseplate off the brushes pull out, refit it and check that solves it before spending money!

Offline themuver

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 10:38:20 am »
Ah that might do it then, the metal part will be dragging on the floor. The brushes themselves should sit proud anyway. If you take the baseplate off the brushes pull out, refit it and check that solves it before spending money!

you are a star thank you I will try that now, before I go to local Dyson guy.   ;)

Offline themuver

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 01:55:57 pm »

you are a star thank you I will try that now, before I go to local Dyson guy.   ;)   

Been to see the local Dyson person and he looked at the bottom/plate and asked if I had pets which I do and the black areas was from the pets oily hair.  He said the plate was not too bad but was wearing in places so I decided to have a new put on, along with a new hose - so for £30.00 I have a vacuum which works brilliantly again.  Just for your info and thanks for your helpful advice

Offline Madrat

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 09:30:36 pm »
Take the plate off every 6 months and wash it, will save the cost next time.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 09:51:43 pm »
Or take the baseplate off every 6 months to wash it then buy £30 worth of beer!

Offline themuver

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 09:21:12 am »
:thumbsup: thanks will do, now I know that will help. 

Offline themuver

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 09:22:48 am »
:thumbsup: thanks will do, now I know that will help. but don't like beer doh !!

Offline themuver

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 09:24:06 am »

thank you comments much appreciated  :thumbsup:

Offline GeorgeJ

• English? I'm never going to England!
    • Some dirty pics ;)
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 03:45:56 pm »
Take the plate off every 6 months and wash it, will save the cost next time.
I've washed everything on my 14 but the baseplate!  :o :-X

I'm sitting here completely surrounded by no beer!
You miss 100% of the Dysons you don't buy.  -Wayne Gretzky
 -Michael Scott  -GeorgeJ

Offline PhilipT

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 04:33:01 pm »
I got a reply on this from Dyson Online Support yesterday. It goes like this:
"I am sorry to hear that there seems to be an issue with your DC07 being hard to push.  To remedy the issue, it may be helpful to remove the rope seals in the sole-plate that are on the inside of the brush bar housing at the bottom of the machine. Removing these seals allows air to move more freely at the base of the vacuum, keeping it from suctioning down to the floor.
To remove the rope seals, follow the steps below:
●  Recline the handle into the vacuuming position.
●  Lay the handle on the floor and turn the machine over so that the clear bin is touching the floor and the brushes are facing the ceiling.
●  Use a coin to release the fasteners on the plate.
●  Once the plate is removed, locate the thin black piece of rubber along the edge of the plate and remove it.
●  Reattach the plate to the housing.

It may also be helpful to reposition the internal hose at the base of the machine.  To do this follow the steps below:
●  Detach the hose: pull it off where it is attached near the wheel.
●  Twist the hose off where it is attached at the brush bar housing.
●  Once the hose has been removed, bend it back and forth to make sure it is flexible, and then compress it from top to bottom and let it spring back out.
●  Reattach the hose, starting with twisting it onto the brush bar housing. Use the moulded plastic on the opening to guide you. "

I hope this is helpful -- it made quite a difference here. (I also washed the sole-plate in warm soapy water and cleaned out any dust. Make sure you dry it THOROUGHLY afterwards!)
There are so many people having this problem! // PT

DC07 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration