The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC14 Panasonic motor - Replacing with YDK  (Read 13174 times)

Offline skpiste

DC14 Panasonic motor - Replacing with YDK
« on: October 03, 2010, 06:12:14 am »
So my understanding is that finding a Pansonic motor for my US DC14 is going to be impossible.  There are a few YDK's with the housing on Ebay.  If I purchase one of these the rest should plug and play correct ?

I think its just the motor mounts that differ and a new housing would eliminate that discrepancy.  Like to get my $5 garage sale Dyson running !

TIA,
PM
PDX
USA

Offline Vacuum Cleaner House

Re: DC14 Panasonic motor - Replacing with YDK
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 10:54:53 am »
Genrally the Panasonic motor is 110 volt and the ydk is 220 volt . Have you tried a Dyson agent yet for a  new Panasonic motor  The only difference between the machines are the rubber motor mounts that hold the motor in place. I have never come across a ydk 110 volt motor yet but could be mistaken . If you can find one just order the ydk rubber mounts from Manchester vacs.  He ships really fast I get my non SA model spares from there
Owner of Vacuum Cleaner House, Full service vacuum shop in Cape Town South Africa

Offline skpiste

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:05:24 pm »
Well my conundrum is just getting a motor I know will fit.  This does seem to be an issue with US models ? 

Here's whats available for 110 volt:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MOTOR-DYSON-DC07-AND-DC14-/360288211946?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e2d9d3ea
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dyson-Motor-DC07-DC14-DC-07-DC-14-/320591535300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa4be9cc4
http://cgi.ebay.com/DYSON-VACUUM-DC04-DC07-DC14-MOTOR-YDK-TYPE-110V-/310232061429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483b4595f5

I am thinking of buying this and eliminating any gasket/fit issues:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DYSON-DC14-Motor-Housing-1413-/250703814991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5f1ca14f

I assume this will be the best solution for replacing my Panasonic 110V motor which has been discontinued by Dyson USA ?

The previous owners solution to a clogged main intake tube (Irish setters I believe) was to remove the Pre-Filter !  That did wonders for the original motor.

Thanks for the quick reply,
PM
PDX
USA

Genrally the Panasonic motor is 110 volt and the ydk is 220 volt . Have you tried a Dyson agent yet for a  new Panasonic motor  The only difference between the machines are the rubber motor mounts that hold the motor in place. I have never come across a ydk 110 volt motor yet but could be mistaken . If you can find one just order the ydk rubber mounts from Manchester vacs.  He ships really fast I get my non SA model spares from there

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:30:16 pm »
So the YDK comes in 110 volt as well COOL you learn something new every day.
That deal with the motor housing seems like a good Idea.

You said
"The previous owners solution to a clogged main intake tube (Irish setters I believe) was to remove the Pre-Filter !  That did wonders for the original motor."

Brilliant Idea  ;D
The hepa filter , located under the cyclone housing on top of the motor would have gotten Packed with dirt and caused the motor to over heat.
Keep this clean and your motor will last a long time.

We get a lot of clients returning from there stay in the States with Dyson's in need of a 110 volt to 220 volt motor exchange.
I do believe from one of my sources that the Panasonic motor is less reliable than the YDK in any case 
Owner of Vacuum Cleaner House, Full service vacuum shop in Cape Town South Africa

Offline skpiste

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 11:21:27 pm »
Well this is good to know.  I figured the vacuum is the same from the housing out so it should snap back together.  I think i will be better with the YDK inside as well.

Yeah, the HEPA filter was clogged on the top with a gooey slime.  I cleaned it off so the filter got wet but I think it will dry out fine.

Thank you for the invaluable input,
PM
PDX
USA

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 06:33:08 am »
Some say you must not wash it but I do and they work fine.

I find that dish washing liquid washes all the filters really nicely in particular the pre filter, the one in the top of the cyclone housing and its yellow backing. Just rinse it out really well. Soap atracts dirt  so if you don't rinse it out well enough it can get dirty much faster

Offline Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:11:51 am »
I am thinking of buying this and eliminating any gasket/fit issues:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DYSON-DC14-Motor-Housing-1413-/250703814991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5f1ca14f

I assume this will be the best solution for replacing my Panasonic 110V motor which has been discontinued by Dyson USA ?

That is the option I would go for when changing motor types.  :icon_nod:

If your HEPA filter is as bad as you say, I would change that rather than wash it. If it is obstructed by gunk, it will restrict the airflow from the new motor you fit and put stress on it, shortening its life. New ones are not expensive, we have them here, and with shipping to the US, I expect it would only cost around $18 for a top quality one.
We expect that by seeking advice here, you are competent enough to be able to make any electrical installations safely and in a safe and legal manner in your jurisdiction. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, do consult an electrician. You implement any advice you read at this site at your own risk.

Offline skpiste

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 05:33:18 am »
Well the HEPA cleaned up quite well and is goop free.  A little softer in the structure but I don't have any allergies so as long as its free flowing I'm not overly concerned.

Got the motor ordered and will report back when installed.

Cheers,
PM
PDX
USA

Offline skpiste

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 04:41:43 pm »
Ok, finally got around to installing the YDK motor with housing purchased on Ebay.   Works flawlessly and may I say an interesting piece of engineering this machine.
Unreal how much dirt this thing sucks up !  Love that all parts are replaceable and snap together for the most part.

Cheers,
PM
PDX
USA

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 05:09:42 pm »
Thats great news I remember when I first got to use a dyson I was working in the engineering dep for the South african subsidary of a well know appliance &vacuum cleaner company.
It was imported to see what all the fuss was about. We were blown away with how well it worked.
 When we were done examining it I calmly asked if I could have it.  ;D for further study  :))

It worked great and still does work hard in our shop

Offline Dyson Tech

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:23:03 pm »
Ok, finally got around to installing the YDK motor with housing purchased on Ebay.   Works flawlessly and may I say an interesting piece of engineering this machine.
Unreal how much dirt this thing sucks up !  Love that all parts are replaceable and snap together for the most part.

Cheers,
PM
PDX
USA

Thanks for the update Skipste! It will help others in the future.  :icon_nod:
We expect that by seeking advice here, you are competent enough to be able to make any electrical installations safely and in a safe and legal manner in your jurisdiction. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, do consult an electrician. You implement any advice you read at this site at your own risk.

Offline skpiste

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 08:17:10 am »
I'll keep anything out of the "Fill" when I can !!!

PM
PDX
USA

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram