The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover Sensotronic S3128 System 2 - A Rambling Refurb!  (Read 12201 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Hoover Sensotronic S3128 System 2 - A Rambling Refurb!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 10:27:41 pm »
And cleaned all the remains of the foam from under the lid

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Finally, time for an exploded diagram shot!

ila_rendered

And that's it for now, the next step is re-assembly, and that's where it goes a bit wrong (there was an explosion and everything, my youtube followers should remember that!)
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 09:49:07 pm »
Right, let's see if we can finish this off tonight!

Motor together first

ila_rendered

Tadah!

ila_rendered

Then I put the casing back together, which no longer made my hands black

ila_rendered

You can see 30 years of wheel movement here!

ila_rendered

2 plastic rollers back in

ila_rendered

And the wheel screws down, and the wheel itself can be fitted with a smear of grease on the axle as it squeaked a bit before

ila_rendered

I fitted the front handle compartment

ila_rendered

and then fitted some nice new foam to the bag holder!

ila_rendered

The spring for the bag latch

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 09:57:26 pm »
Then the latch itself!

ila_rendered

All fitted, just some foam to put on the inside edge, but it had not arrived by this point I don't think!

ila_rendered

On the outside, the big rubber seal/cap that bridges the gap betwixt inner and outer piece

ila_rendered

However, for now, I can't fit anymore that end. So it's onto the back, and the rear grille went on

ila_rendered

I popped the front parts back together so I didn't loose them

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Cord rewind brake now

ila_rendered

And clipped it onto the cable exit part

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 10:23:23 pm »
Found a cracking date wheel

ila_rendered

Firewall now, and the rubber fancase seal goes on

ila_rendered

PCB is fitted

ila_rendered

And then the first disaster happened. I snapped the reed switch whilst trying to feed it through the casing...

ila_rendered

So I bought some, which were much much smaller than the originals and soldered one in and taped it down

ila_rendered

The magnet was fitted to the other side

ila_rendered

Then the rear of the pre motor filter housing was screwed in

ila_rendered

The firewall can be refitted now

ila_rendered

And it's cover screwed on, which would have been easier before I fitted it, but fitted fine anyway!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 10:32:42 pm »
Next, the motor gets dropped in

ila_rendered

and the annoying earth wire gets connected

ila_rendered

and the motor screwed down

ila_rendered

Quick flip underneath and the thermal cut out can be fitted

ila_rendered

Then, I can unscrew this

ila_rendered

Remove this

ila_rendered

and wire up the power nozzle socket!

ila_rendered

The live terminals are hooked up

ila_rendered

Supressor refitted for now (and I really wish I had just left it the hell alone!)

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 10:45:49 pm »
Next, it's time to snip the cable tie stopping the cord rewind from undoing itself

ila_rendered

and fit it!

ila_rendered

Fit the dividing wall/cord reel holder/cable guide

ila_rendered

Fit the plug

ila_rendered

Attempt to tidy the wiring

ila_rendered

Then, put the furniture guards together and fit them to the cleaner

ila_rendered

Then, I needed to find a post motor filter/diffuser, since the original one disintegrated as they all do! A quick raid of the shed, and Miele to the rescue!

ila_rendered

Perfick!

ila_rendered

Can put the bottom cover on now!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 11:01:15 pm »
And the rear wheels

ila_rendered

Getting there!

ila_rendered

We also need a pre motor filter! Uncle Miele to the rescue again

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Next, time to assemble the switch housing. At this current moment in time, the Power Adjustment switch cover had gone awol, so I imagined it was there for now

ila_rendered

Wired everything up

ila_rendered

Stuck the pretty bits down

ila_rendered

And fitted that to the lid

ila_rendered

Wired it all back up as it was

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 11:20:25 pm »
I then carefully fitted the broken trim and pedals back on

ila_rendered

I did try to glue this corner down, but it didn't take, and I didn't want to wob glue everywhere!

ila_rendered

Plugged it all back in

ila_rendered

And screwed it down

ila_rendered

Popped the tools back in

ila_rendered

Lid on

ila_rendered

And it's done*

Time to pop the floor tool back together

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 11:41:34 pm »
ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Much better!

Hose next, and the handle goes back together

ila_rendered

I then spent an evening infront of my tablet on the 26th Febuary 2017 watching our local kebab van win the best kebab van in England award at the kebab oscars! (and yes it's bloody amazing! Utterly manic on a busy night though http://www.britishkebabawards.co.uk/the_delicious_taste_of_success_celebrations_as_thame_kebab_van_scoops_award)
and cleaned the hose by hand, as I couldnt get the ends off to put it in the machine

ila_rendered

That, really, was done! However, it goes downhill here...

I cut the supressor out and soldered the wires together... this made it blow the fuse... Because I did not think ahead and leave plenty of wire on the supressor, soldering it back in was a right pain, but just about do-able. Then I broke the new reed switch I fitted:

Then I attempted to replace the broken LED bulb... which went well
ila_rendered

Getting thoroughly pissed off with it now, it was working again.

Finally, I bought some roam adhesive strip from ebay to replace the factory stuff I removed the remains of at the beginning

ila_rendered

Which looked really smart

ila_rendered

However, it was too thick. And upon fitting the top cover, it managed to push a wire off the PCB, causing it to go into limp home mode (half power, lights on all the time). So I stripped it all off and fixed that

But, in putting it all back together finally, I dropped the motor, and snapped a wire off the capacitor again! And my previous solder joint came with it, so it was game over... So I put it in the loft and forgot about the hateful thing.

Until a few months later, a collector I know came round for a machine swapping session. And I gave him the sensotronic, as I wanted to sell it once this was done, but now could not. The jammy sod opened it up, and snipped the black link wire within the main loom, which caused it to work fine! That must have been why it blew the fuse before!

TBH by this point I did not care, especially after he gave me something in return, a very rare machine in the UK, and one that I love very much. I haven't shown it on here before, and it'll be a while before it gets a refurb as I'm waiting for some parts from the US!

Not a valid youtube URL
So that is that! Not my usual refurb thread, but followable for anyone who does want to look inside a sensotronic! Normal service will be resumed thread-wise soon, I promise!

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram