The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Questions about new DC33  (Read 5719 times)

Offline britain4

Questions about new DC33
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:56:46 pm »
Well new to me anyway - just bought a DC33 off eBay for £20. It's very nearly like new and has obviously been looked after but the back hose looks like someone has tried to hoover up razor blades with it - it's split on nearly every pleat. It's beyond saving but with a new hose this will be like a brand new machine. Yet to strip the machine down and clean it and it's already performing amazingly well.

Couple of quick questions I had - I know you can chuck the foam filters in the washing machine but what about the washable HEPA filter? And the filter cover with the stupid plastic mesh? The foam has come up spotless but the HEPA and the plastic mesh have some stubborn dust I can't get off.

Pretty impressed with the build quality but are there any weak spots I need to know about?

Hose looks the same as a DC07 one and I think I have a spare one of those at my in laws, anyone know if it fits the 33?

Offline Madrat

Re: Questions about new DC33
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 11:21:41 pm »
Filters can be washed the same. Hose is different.

Offline britain4

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 08:02:32 am »
Ah never mind I'll just order one then. Looked the same to me on pics. I'll chuck the filters in the wash today then. Cheers!

Offline Dysonboy

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 10:54:52 pm »
Hose is different - way it locks onto the wand and tool fitment is different.
As for filters - bang em in the washer- sponge and filter cage can go into washer and while your there bang in your heap filter too- Dyson made them washable- dc33 hepa filters also fit dc07 and dc14 put you have to squeeze the cover down more since its ever slightly bigger but it's a great washable hepa filter upgrade - just bang both your 33 filters in washer and buy a new hose and you should have a great machine! I got a dc33 but I've got to sel it- need money and space
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

Offline britain4

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 09:05:55 am »
As for filters - bang em in the washer- sponge and filter cage can go into washer and while your there bang in your heap filter too- Dyson made them washable- dc33 hepa filters also fit dc07 and dc14 put you have to squeeze the cover down more since its ever slightly bigger but it's a great washable hepa filter upgrade - just bang both your 33 filters in washer and buy a new hose and you should have a great machine! I got a dc33 but I've got to sel it- need money and space

Cheers for the reply. Typical they wouldn't be compatible really don't know why I expected any different lol. I put both filters + holder through the closest the CR02 has to a "quick wash" and after some contrarotating action the pre filter + PITA plastic mesh on the holder have come out spanking, the HEPA is still a tiny bit grey on the inside but 10x better than it was, don't need to replace that.

Yes it's looking very promising, it's in great nick. Stripping the cyclone down now and if it needs a new seal I'll order one along with a belt tool and hose and start stripping the rest of it down. Performs fantastic already so don't think it'll need much work!

Offline Dysonboy

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 11:16:11 am »

Cheers for the reply. Typical they wouldn't be compatible really don't know why I expected any different lol. I put both filters + holder through the closest the CR02 has to a "quick wash" and after some contrarotating action the pre filter + PITA plastic mesh on the holder have come out spanking, the HEPA is still a tiny bit grey on the inside but 10x better than it was, don't need to replace that.

Yes it's looking very promising, it's in great nick. Stripping the cyclone down now and if it needs a new seal I'll order one along with a belt tool and hose and start stripping the rest of it down. Performs fantastic already so don't think it'll need much work!
Ive just ordered myself a belt tool - will have to see how much easier this makes life
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

Offline britain4

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 12:23:45 pm »
Yup I spent about 10 minutes arsing about with a pair of screwdrivers until I decided it would be money well spent lol.

Cyclone seal is indeed buggered so got a new one on the way. Smeared a bit of silicone on the split parts for now so should be good to go until the new one comes. All the whole cyclone assembly caked in a load of plaster dust too so I'd be surprised if it doesn't work even better now.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 12:44:32 pm »
I don't need a belt lifter tool, I use my fingers even for really tight ass belts :) 

Offline Dysonboy

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 03:32:37 pm »
I don't need a belt lifter tool, I use my fingers even for really tight ass belts :)

I do that ATM- got belt lifter tool coming Wednesday/Thursday from our good friends- MVacs

Offline britain4

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 05:12:40 pm »
I have actually successfully used my fingers to do it but will definitely be investing in the tool for any future work!

After washing the filters the HEPA filter seems completely clogged solid though which I've started a new thread for..

DC14 Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration