The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Pondtec Vacuum Motor  (Read 6931 times)

Offline MrFixit

Pondtec Vacuum Motor
« on: September 23, 2017, 05:56:42 pm »
Hi Guys

I am looking for a replacement motor for a pondtec vacuum.

I replaced the brushes a few months ago and the motor has given up the ghost so now need a new unit.

I have attached a photo in the hope someone can recognize the motor from another vacuum.

The motor is marked DW-P22 - no other markings are visible.

Its 135mm diameter base and 35mm high (the base).

Thanks in advance

David

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Pondtec Vacuum Motor
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:57:35 am »
Search for vax upright wet and dry motors, looks identical to the one I put in my shampooer! Putting the model number into google yeilded results, mainly to narrow down what machine it was fitted in (or tell me I could buy them for 34p each from the factory in batches of 100,000...

https://www.directvacuums.co.uk/spares-vax-motor-v-020t.html although their out of stock

Mind though, although they looked identical, mine was a different size to what was fitted, presumably because in china it's as cheap to just bespoke order something rather than re-use existing stuff. I made it work by cutting the mounting rubbers about though.

They are horrible crap motors though so good luck! Is there the depth to fit one of these types? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-STAGE-WET-AND-DRY-1000W-MOTOR-VAX-101-VAX-111-VAX-121-TUB-VACUUM-CLEANER-/222650116520?epid=694710987&hash=item33d6fb29a8:g:r7YAAOxyOalTakDC
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline MrFixit

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 12:34:12 pm »
Search for vax upright wet and dry motors, looks identical ...

Thank you for that steer - that is excellent - certainly looks like the motor I need....

I have emailed the ebay seller - see if they have any....

Very much appreciated!

David

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 12:36:24 pm »
No worries. The tub V-020 looks similar too from listings I've seen
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline MrFixit

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:34:33 am »
Is there the depth to fit one of these types?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-STAGE-WET-AND-DRY-1000W-MOTOR-VAX-101-VAX-111-VAX-121-TUB-VACUUM-CLEANER-/222650116520?epid=694710987&hash=item33d6fb29a8:g:r7YAAOxyOalTakDC

Drew a blank on the first motor that looks a direct fit... so on to this type - I dont suppose anyone knows the height of the unit?

The base is wider but there is room in the housing so it will fit - just need to check the height.

Thanks

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 11:34:19 am »
No idea on the height, and I don't have one to hand to check (they were fitted to many 1990's wet and drys, Vax, Hoover Aquamaster/Aquajet, Numatic George etc)

A safe bet might be to measure the height of your broken one's fancase and triple/quadruple it maybe? Would give you a rough measurement anyway

I fondle one here - but don't measure it, but I think I get them side by side at least

Offline MrFixit

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 02:31:29 pm »
I fondle one here -

You made my day...   :))

I just found this:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/A4MAAOSwXetZTP0j/s-l1600.jpg

Looks like that will be too tall....as my motor is 135mm tall...

This looks a possibility - although a question to the seller has not gained me a reply...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-XVacuum-Cleaner-motor-1400-watt-240-volt-vaccum/132311888628?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

So many crappy Chinese motors around and no spec!

David

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 02:53:05 pm »
Yep, its a minefield! Also make sure it is a wet and dry motor, and not a dry only, although I think the holes in the fancase mean it is wet and dry/double insulated etc

Offline MrFixit

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 03:03:14 pm »
Also make sure it is a wet and dry motor, and not a dry only, although I think the holes in the fancase mean it is wet and dry/double insulated etc

Good call - I had assumed that is why the fancase had vents... so if any water was picked up it would not get hear the electrics.

D

Offline MrFixit

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 04:02:00 pm »
Hi

I thought I would return to this now that I am sorted and hope that it will help someone in the future avoid "binning" a Pontec vacuum.

After much chasing around trying to find a replacement motor and that drawing a blank, I started looking at the alternative motors around.

The difficulty in that is that the physical dimensions are seldom ever quoted, and asking a seller to confirm sizes is a pain for them and not worth their time.

Anyway - in the end I took the plunge and bought an Aquavac 28001 motor - thoughts being that it would probably fit with adjustments... or silicon, depending on how you look at it!

I am pleased to say that it fits - tighter than the original motor, but without pressure on the case moldings. I had to remove a rubber sealing ring from between the base of the motor where it meets the plastic case (the intake) and reverse a rubber ring that is at the top of the fan case (a part that was on the original motor).

The appliance works great - only thing I may do is apply a light bead below the motor where I removed the rubber ring - but to be honest, it lifts water perfectly as it is.

Thanks for all the help guys - I would have had it in the skip without the comments on here.

David

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram