The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC40 Steering Issue  (Read 4214 times)

Offline broono83

DC40 Steering Issue
« on: August 22, 2017, 04:56:50 pm »
Hi,

Recently started having an issue with this vac. It now doesn't steer properly. It basically functions like the old school back and forward , non ball vacuums.

I think the part indicated below (or something moving it) is at fault but I'm struggling to find its name in the exploded diagrams. I think the little lip circled should pop up and over the plastic casing alowing the brush bar to pivot. The plastic part circled doesn't do this now - it just hits the side walls around it. Also the part feels loose as it it should be sprung but isn't?

ila_rendered

Sorry for the poor technical description! Hopefully someone knows what I am on about. Have replaced the COV before so fairly confident to take it apart if required.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline mrdyson

Re: DC40 Steering Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:57:28 pm »
That's the lock arm.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 12:58:53 pm »
There should be a spring under that so it pops up when the machine is reclined. When parked upright, the cleaner pushes it down, against the spring!

Check my refurb thread for how it looks, if the spring is there somewhere then easily fixed, if not then many other springs might fit, DC07 Bin release rod spring comes to mind initially!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline broono83

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:19:41 pm »
Excellent, thanks guys.

Offline broono83

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 03:23:42 pm »
Hi,

Just to close this off, It actually turned out to be the lock arm which was the issue. One of the legs had snapped off and become lost somewhere. Replacement bought and easily replaced for £3 so thanks all.

For replacement just a case of removing the brush bar, the 2 "ball" wheels then 2 T10 torx just above where the brush bar power connection is gives access to the lock arm area, literally a 5 minute job so very happy.

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration