Dyson Advice > Looking after your Dyson

DC47 strip down and motor replacement

(1/2) > >>

Newton Grave:
Have had the DC47 for a couple of years now and have found it very reliable... until the motor burnt out. I have to say this was probably not a design fault as when I investigated I found that the dust box was not only above the Max line but was completely full. I think otherwise I would have sent it back under guarantee.

Motors are available from eBay and probably elsewhere so I decided to have a go at replacement. It was not so easy, you can see the problems I had here https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,2971.0.html but I will, over the next few days, post a record of reassembly - in reverse order - to help anyone else who wants to do a motor replacement.

Newton Grave:
There are two sides to the ball, both of which are held on by plastic encapsulated nuts. The easiest is the filter side which is purple and has two cutouts to enable you to undo the nut. That one is easy.

The other side is the service side and is not meant to be user-accessible. You must insert a screwdriver and prise up the cap. Make sure you do not prise up the plate below which encapsulates the nut.

Newton Grave:
Next you need to remove the dust bowl and the small clear tube that engages with it. Then turn the vac upside down and remove the base plate held in place by 5 small screws.

Newton Grave:
Under the baseplate there is a spring loaded clip that centres the hose exit. This can safely be taken out without losing the springs, which are retained within it. This needs to be removed as one of the retaining screws is located underneath it.

Newton Grave:
Sorry for the hiatus. Have been having internet problems and had been unable to upload for over a week.

OK so next remove the screws holding the two halves of the casing together and holding the case to the motor assembly. Service side has 5 long black screws, two short black and one silver, shown below. DO NOT remove the three silver screws on the top of this side as this releases the cable drum brake and this will jam when trying to open the case..

There are an additional two short and one long screw on the filter side You may want to leave the two short screws into the motor housing on while you remove the lower case half.

The long screws connect the two halves of the case together and are vertical up/down and the short screws connect the case to the motor bucket assembly and go inwards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version