The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: My first ball  (Read 5284 times)

Offline Dysonboy

My first ball
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:34:24 pm »
So, picking up a new dyson tommorow
11 quid has got me a DC40 with all tools and instructions bagged and unused they reckon motor has gone. What areas should I check for damage and if I understand right, DC40s have reset switched for certain parts. They didn't give much detail so i'm hoping its something simple

Cheers
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
Re: My first ball
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 12:45:26 am »
Beko did an amazing dissection of the dc 40,,,

https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,3166.0.html

Only a reset switch for the head motor on this one i believe.
With a bit of luck they mean the head motor and not the main motor !

If the latter then yoke looms are prone to breaking, done a few of them.
I haven't done the main motor on one of these - yet  :underchair:
The main switch can fail, i had a dc25 today that wouldn't latch,  if the head motor works but main motor does not then big motor probably could be bye bye.
I am looking forward to my first main motor change on one of these tbh.
The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline Dysonboy

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:24:41 pm »
alrighty.
Got the machine, stripped it down and broke the flamin swivel lock i noticed...
Motor is deffo gone, found an entire 'Excellent working order' chassis on ebay for 21 quid inc. postage. Would you say thats good price?
Thought i'd get just the chassis and swap my bin, head and wand over etc. cause I can't work out the connection between the ball and wheels etc. Now I can get the wheels to recline and it move around normal but wont stand up without me manually pushing the wheels back down  :)) can't be bothered atm until I got parts. Thinking to buy an entire spine and save time..
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

Offline ryevac

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 11:08:29 pm »
You probably bought from Kayysmithh ?
That's not bad tbh, i recently had a dc24 i wrote off as it has knackered ball, main motor burnt out, missing spring on under assembly, and yoke loom open circuit... i did the same and bought a complete spine for 6 or 7 quid plus postage - wasn't worth me repairing.
£21 isn't bad in fairness, you will have a working vac for 30 quid total price, you could strip the old unit and sell the parts to get a few quid back too.

Offline ryevac

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:12:54 pm »
I bought a dc40 other day - cutting out apparently - left it on for 10 min with no filters and all good. Filters were blocked solid...

Offline Dysonboy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 02:10:33 am »
You probably bought from Kayysmithh ?
That's not bad tbh, i recently had a dc24 i wrote off as it has knackered ball, main motor burnt out, missing spring on under assembly, and yoke loom open circuit... i did the same and bought a complete spine for 6 or 7 quid plus postage - wasn't worth me repairing.
£21 isn't bad in fairness, you will have a working vac for 30 quid total price, you could strip the old unit and sell the parts to get a few quid back too.

Haha yeah Kayysmithh.
Ordered now and should be here by weekend. Can't wait to test it. My bedroom/office/living (basically my everything room) has medium carpet and is very much due a clean, since december infact! Will leave it until I got my DC40 sorted and see how much crap it gathers up.

Offline ryevac

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 10:38:00 am »
 :thumbsup:

Offline Dysonboy

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 04:27:50 pm »
Haha yeah Kayysmithh.

Ha ha indeed.

https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php?topic=2115.0

Caveat Emptor.
Remember reading that thread a while ago when I first joined. Ive had a couple experiences with them and theyve been okay, only complaint is the 'very good' de stijl dc04 wand which was sent scuffed and slightly faded, not too much bother though tbf so I thought id keep using them until I get the first sign of a problem then stop there since its been okay so far.  :underchair:

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram