The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Logitech MX Revolution Mouse - Stripdown and Refurb!  (Read 7628 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Logitech MX Revolution Mouse - Stripdown and Refurb!
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:36:59 pm »
This is my mouse at work

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

I bought it in 2009 with my first bonus payment (I joined in 2008) and it's been my faithful companion ever since! Day in, day out it's plodded on, sticking with me through thick and thin!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/logitech-mx-revolution-mouse

However, it was starting to show it's age the other month, so I spent out a few quid, and bought it home for a fettle! This is also the first 'guide' I shot using my new camera that I got for free by swapping a load of random tech stuff with a bloke from Autoshite, so also a test!

ila_rendered

We have a ne battery to fit, new glide pads and a good cleanout to be had! The scroll wheel stopped working in late 2016, a quick stripdown at my desk revealed a massive build up of gunk which jammes it solid, so I knew it wasn't pretty in here!

Let's open it up, and we start by removing the knackered glide pads (one went AWOL a long time ago)

ila_rendered

The case splits now, and we can remove the ribbon cable connecting the two halves

ila_rendered

This holds a button

ila_rendered

The top shell comes out with the removal of these two screws, and a bit of a tweak here and there

ila_rendered

Mmmm 9 years of eating at my desk...

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Logitech MX Revolution Mouse - Stripdown and Refurb!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:42:46 pm »
It was pretty grotty

ila_rendered

The quick access button (which I have mapped to open a new spreadsheet) pops out with a tiny screw removed

ila_rendered

The same 2 screws that released the top shell also release the rubber side grip, which is a little bit worn...

ila_rendered

With that removed, many more tiny screws remove the side panel, which houses the 3 position click wheel and back/forward buttons and battery indicator

ila_rendered

The click wheel clips in behind the cover, with a spring providing it's return action

ila_rendered

It pops out, revealing where I can never clean it with a bit of damp tissue at work

ila_rendered

The circuit board that sits under here can be removed now

ila_rendered

And that's the top half done! Bottom half now, and we start by removing the battery clamp

ila_rendered

Then unclip the battery

ila_rendered

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:54:26 pm »
The battery holding bracket needs unscrewing to fully remove the battery though

ila_rendered

The board is held in with 1 screw at the front which also holds the scroll wheel assembly down

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The scroll wheel both click-scrolls and freewheel scrolls, via a little cam motor that disengages the click mechanism when sensed (yamming down to scroll fast usually, an ace way to jump hundreds of rows in seconds!). It also clicks side to side for left and right, as well as clicks down as most scroll wheels do

ila_rendered

And then I took it apart...

ila_rendered

Found some Omron switches

ila_rendered

The very worn grip ring for the scroll wheel pops off too, which uncovered some more scary goo

ila_rendered

With that done, it all got washed and went back together really! Scroll wheel was a sodding pain, I left a spring out too so had to have it all apart again!

ila_rendered

Board back in

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:00:56 pm »
Side back on, with it's board

ila_rendered

Top button back in the top shell and on it went

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

It seems I broke the connector to the ribbon cable somewhere along the line, luckily a bit of card wedged it all in nicely, never to be disturbed again!

ila_rendered

However, it proved impossible to get the new battery and holder in with the cable fitted, and the cable was a sod to fit with the battery in, so after 20 minutes, I had it closed and working and vowed to never open it again!

ila_rendered

New skid pads went on

ila_rendered

And onto charge it went!

ila_rendered

And that's pretty much it! This was november-ish, and it's been charged up twice since then! Lasts a good few weeks now, before I got 4/5 days before it just died, so that's a big win, and it glides so much nicer with the new feet!

Here's to another 10 years. I was looking at it's successor

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/mx-master-mouse

But I don't like it as much! Me and this mouse have history!

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 11:29:47 am »
That's quite a nice fancy looking mouse
I remember my dad had one similar where you could go back and forth pages with your thumb with the buttons in the side, I liked them

I once bought a £15 mouse from Argos and I have big hands- not a good combo lol

Offline MVOlga

• Global Moderator
  • Manchester Vacs Staff
    • Manchester Vacs
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 08:38:23 pm »
We all use Logitech ball mice. They need cleaning very often.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 01:49:37 pm »
Ball mice! Blimey, want me to lob a nice optical one in the box with the boss's next package? Save your sanity

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram

Registration