The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Hoover 612 Help Needed  (Read 6941 times)

Offline matthew123

Hoover 612 Help Needed
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:21:03 am »
Hi, a few days ago I saw 3 vintage hoovers on gumtree for free. I picked them up and they all so work. 1 of them is a hoover junior 1334, one is a junior 1334 A and the other one is a hoover 612 as seen in pictures. I’ve cleaned up the 612 and polished the brass letters. It came out very nice. Unfortunately I forgot to talked a before and after picture as the difference is amazing. The hoover doesn’t correct bag on it. I need to buy a new light bulb for it and a new belt as the old one is cracked and stretched. The hoover seems to have a suspension at the back of it and my dad suggests that it could be a height adjustment but we can find out how it works. When I try to vacuum with the hoover it doesn’t seem to pick up anything. This could partly be because the belt is stretched and the roller isn’t turning when it’s on the carpet. Also I was wondering if it was because the hoover is on max height at the back so it’s pressing the front against the carpet too hard. Anyway if anyone knows whether the suspension at the back is for height adjustment can you please let me know and how to use it. Also let me know if you think there is something missing and that’s why I can figure out how it works. Thanks!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Hoover 612 Help Needed
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 06:03:37 pm »
Hi Matt! Your not in scotlandshire are you? There was a job lot similar to that recently up there!

The rear wheels move up and down to fit the tool converter in, push down on the machine releases a locking tab, releasing the machine back up locks it back. Nothing to do with height adjustment, the machine doesnf have any.

The brushroll is key to performance. A new belt is the first place to start, any Hoover Senior belt should work. With the belt off, check the brushroll spins freely by hand, if it doesn't you can get new agitator bearings on ebay.

Looking at the pictures it looks mint! Shame about the bag but nowadays it's a fine sacrifice as you can use the machine! You can fit a sebo or miele s7 hepaflo bag inside the cloth one so you don't have to clean it all up after use!

Nice find

Sam
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline matthew123

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 05:12:51 pm »
Hi Sam, I am indeed in Scotland. I picked up these hoovers from a person in Edinburgh. Could hardly believe it when I saw them. All I did to make it look so good was to take out the brass letters and polish them with brasso and polish the plastic bit and the rest of the machine too. I was very surprised by how well it came up.
That’s interesting to know that it isn’t for height adjustment as I was a bit puzzled as to what it was but makes sense now! The brush roll does spin fairly freely so I think the knackered belt was the cause of it not spinning properly and smelling of burning rubber. I ordered a new belt off eBay and also a new light bulb for it because the one it has was burst. I may at some point look into buying one of the paper bags as it would be more convienient. Thanks for your help,
Matt.

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:32:15 pm »
Excellent, it looks really good!

And their not paper bags, their hepa fleece type material. Buy a cheap non genuine box of sebo X1 type bags, chop the top off then soft of insert it into the cloth bag, but leave enough overlap out the end of the bag flange to clamp it all around when you fit the flange to the machine it clamps it all in!
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline matthew123

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 05:46:53 pm »
Ok that’s good to know. Thanks for your help. ;)

Offline Hoover Master

• I like dyson,numatic and miele most.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 06:47:16 pm »
Great to hear from another Scottish collector!! I’m just across the forth bridge haha.

I have a 612, lovely cleaners. Did see the lot on gumtree. You did well getting them

Offline Revooh1

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 08:14:00 pm »
Matthew ensure you use the correct belt for your 612. The belt for models 612,638,912,912A and U7008 is the only one to use. A 652 series belt will stress the motor bearings.

Offline Revooh1

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:22:40 pm »
The height adjustment lever fits under the rear axle. I think the settings are normal and thick

Offline Hoover Master

• I like dyson,numatic and miele most.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 08:25:01 pm »
Great info Kevin! I had mine out for a play and filmed it and it indeed has settings thick and med. :thumbsup:

Offline Revooh1

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 08:28:09 pm »
I will have a look out for the video . I got setting names wrong  - normal instead of medium. The 912 has three settings

Offline Revooh1

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 01:58:02 am »
Easiest way to convert a 612 to paper bags or other material is to fit a 638 bag flange assembly of the plate, bellows hose with spring and dust pipe

Offline matthew123

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 04:10:32 pm »
Thanks everyone for your help. I have found the height adjuster now and can see the 2 different heights. I just fitted a new belt to it and it is for the 612 so should be fine. Just vacuumed my carpet and it’s an excellent machine. It no longer smells of burning rubber and it sucks really well. Just waiting on the lightbulb to come. Thanks again, Matt.

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram