The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Miele Revolution 5000 S556 - Stripdown and Refurb  (Read 22516 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Miele Revolution 5000 S556 - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 09:48:44 pm »
Furniture Guard now, starting with fitting the parking bracket

ila_rendered

This can be fitted to the machine and screwed on. The front trim piece goes on next

ila_rendered

Lovely, ready to bash into furniture for another 10 years!

ila_rendered

Motor sound deadening now

ila_rendered

Motor and bag compartment seals

ila_rendered

The motor can be dropped in now

ila_rendered

Wierd pipe fitted

ila_rendered

Cord reel fitted

ila_rendered

Moving up a layer now, the pause button is fitted to the body

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 09:56:32 pm »
Filter life reset button fitted

ila_rendered

Now for the power indicator panel. This machine polished up a treat, and looks brand new now!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

And fits back into the housing

ila_rendered

Cord rewind pedal now, the moving parts are clipped in

ila_rendered

Spring fitted

ila_rendered

And both pedals clipped down

ila_rendered

Underneath the control panel, the LED light tubes are clipped together

ila_rendered

And fitted

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 10:02:28 pm »
Electronics fitted now

ila_rendered

Bag holder fitted

ila_rendered

The pre motor filter washed up like new so in it goes

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The pretty much new bag goes on

ila_rendered

Looking good now, time to move up a layer!

ila_rendered

First, some wires need to be fitted to a plug

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Then the loom can be fed along the bag door

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 10:06:04 pm »
Bag fill indicator can go together now

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Underneath, the hose socket

ila_rendered

Can be fitted to the hose inlet assembly

ila_rendered

The hose inlet assembly can be reassembled

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 10:12:29 pm »
This bit is quite fiddly, the hose hole cover is laid on the surface, and immediately rolls up a bit and slips down...

ila_rendered

Then with your 3 hands, hold it still, stop the hose socket from falling out and fit the hose inlet assembly into place and screw it down!

ila_rendered

The carbon filter got a good vacuum off and was fitted

ila_rendered

Small tools now. Lint strips back on the upholstry tool

ila_rendered

All fitted!

ila_rendered

The tool door can go back on now. The whole finish is sprayed on, it's paint, so polished up really well, just like doing a car. Sadly there was a fair bit of actual damage here and there

ila_rendered

And that's the main vacuum done!

ila_rendered

Spent many hours getting all the paint off the cable

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Miele Revolution 5000Hose S556 - Stripdown and Refurb
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 10:18:54 pm »
Hose now! The plug pushes onto the hose itself, I gave the contacts a slight tweak to make better contact with the slip rings

ila_rendered

Fitted

ila_rendered

The outer trim can be clipped and screwed on now

ila_rendered

Up to the other end of the hose now, and the polished up control panel has its buttons fitted and is clipped to its PCB

ila_rendered

Then all the electronic internals are fitted

ila_rendered

The internal suction channel is laid in, which highlights how utterly vital having all the wires tucked away properly is. Still not 100% sure it's right, the hose is a bit stiff to rotate.

ila_rendered

Cover is screwed on, again 18 hands are needed to stop the internals moving about as you position the cover...

ila_rendered

Floorhead now! The locking bracket is screwed onto the neck

ila_rendered

Then the wires are fed in

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 10:23:22 pm »
The brushroll motor is fitted and the wires run and covered up

ila_rendered

Tool adapter fitted and a tiny drop of grease placed on the pivot points

ila_rendered

PCB placed

ila_rendered

The internal cover is fitted

ila_rendered

Moving underneath

ila_rendered

We can fit the belt and brushroll

ila_rendered

Baseplate wheels fitted

ila_rendered

Rubber strip fitted

ila_rendered

And finally the baseplate itself is screwed on

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 10:27:57 pm »
Finally the main cover can go on!

ila_rendered

The latch is fitted to the wand

ila_rendered

And she is done!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Some car trim gel perked up the plastics

ila_rendered

And a few coats of wax perked up the paintwork

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 10:32:45 pm »
And here it is next to another little project I have to do, it's replacement!

We have an after video

And then, I sold it! The new owner seems very pleased with it...

And there we go, the tale of when I owned a Miele Revolution 500!

Offline aengus4h

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 08:11:11 pm »
Hi Beko

great write up, I also have the Revolution S500 vacuum and thought I'd post as it has developed a wee problem. The end of the extension pipe unexpectedly broke away where it connects into the power head, while the unit was on with the head running. Lots of arcing and sparks being spat at the carpets followed  while I scrambled to power it off. The remote control panel went blank and the head stopped running but the unit did continue to run at full power until I powered it off.

Thought it may be worth posting this as a heads-up to check for fractures for other users just in case. The extension tube is an expensive replacement part and unfortunately causes damage to the electronics in this type of failure.

That said I've had this one from new for around 17 years and its given flawless service in that time, until this failure. I've since stripped the hose down following your guide, found a track completely burned off the circuit board on the hose connector in the handle end which I have repaired with a wire. The unit still works at full power and now also the power head also runs, but sadly no remote control so no variable power or ability to turn the head on/off, its permanently on. Buzzed the cabling right through from the handle to the motor control board inside the unit and that's ok, so has to be one of the electronic boards. Managed to pick up a new extension tube off ebay at a good price, so at least its useable again, and got a Dyson V10 to use for the lighter tasks and will retain this for bigger jobs and hopefully get it fully working again one day.

I note that the motor control board (EDW550) in your photo is slightly different to mine, perhaps that was the Miele repair, tho could just be a different revision. Is there any chance you would have higher resolution pics of the remote control board still available? I'm suspecting that this is where the problem may be, so hopefully fixable or I may get lucky and pick up a 125-3 hose cheap enough to salvage the remote panel.

BTW - were you also on the Citroen XM list on Y! ?

many thanks
Dave

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 08:20:32 pm »
Hi Dave

Sounds like you've had some fun there! Glad you've bodged it working again, one day youll find a blown motor cleaner for £sod all to use for spares!

I've not had an XM for years now, so probably am not on that list. I have a Laguna 2 now, so I'm probably on a list somewhere, just not a good one!

Offline aengus4h

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 08:45:20 pm »
Here's the board, track to the blue wire all but gone, just the ends of it remain

yeah, wasn't fun thinking it was going to set the stair carpet alight just days before a rental inspection lol. For sure I'll keep a lookout for one or the hose. The german site does list the hose at around Eur100 but that's a lot to spend on a punt, tho I may ask them if they have any damaged ones, might be worth a shot as almost everything on this is surface mount and my eyes ain't up to that these days.

Same re the XM, think we'd exchanged messages there in the past. I had 3 of them but gave the v6 and all my spares away after the clutch broke in <2 years of being replaced. It went to a list member in Scotland and looks to be SORN now. Been running a v6 alfa since then :-)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 09:53:31 pm »
Small world then! I probably did message you when I had it! Do miss that car, if it did more than 28mpg I'd have it now! Slumming it in a Laguna 2, although 58mpg is quite handy

I don't recognise the username though? Presume we would have spoken through Club-XM? Or the FCF?

Offline aengus4h

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 07:47:39 pm »
haha know what you mean, tho my 3L XM did a lot better than the Alfa 2.5, tho the combo of 24v and auto doesn't help the Alfa much.

Back on topic tho, probing around with a multimeter and ESR meter, looks like the SMD's survived from what I can tell, tho in circuit testing isn't ideal, no plans to remove to test as I'm more likely to destroy them. Did find the PCB relay on the main EDW550 board contacts fused on, no longer switches so ordered up a replacement.  Funny exact same fault on a Miele washing machine a couple years back along with a PCB fuse when the stabiliser struts had gone weak. Very much doubt it'll be the only fault on the S556 but for £3 is worth a shot.

Offline aengus4h

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 01:40:21 pm »
ok, relay replaced, but unfortunately no change to the remote function. Kinda expected that as the relay switches the power for the motor-head, which is now not running since the new relay doesn't have the contacts welded together. So, more investigation needed at some stage, will keep an eye out for a cheap s556 perhaps so I can make some comparative readings. Isn't urgent given it'll run at max power in the meantime :-)

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram