The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: DC40 ERP HELP  (Read 12655 times)

Offline Dysonboy

Re: DC40 ERP HELP
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 01:05:10 am »
Your'e welcome, I am still 80% electronics at the moment and 20% vacs but need to reverse that figure when i eventually take the leap and work for myself.

If i ever get one in with same fault i will attempt a board repair and document accordingly.

As Dysonboy suggests try to leave an item switched off if it had a meaty reseviour capacitor, to spot them they will say for example 180uf 400v - reason it is 400v is the mains is 230vac but rectified full wave and brought up with the cap it will be around 320v to 340v dc.
Modern power boards will have a resistor across the cap upto 100k usually and this discharges the cap for you when switched off - some equipment doesn't have the resistor and can stay charged for days. I always have a 100ohm resistor to hand with probes on to force discharge or a rather crude method is to use the metal screwdriver over the cap terminals.
The capacitor on a dyson motor for example shouldn't hold a charge after power down as that's a different type of cap. If in doubt check it with a multimeter on dc voltage range.
There are many variants of power supplies, and i still get caught out 33 years later !  :'(

Sounds good!

That reminds me, I once had a DC14 witha blown motor, so I unplugged it and I got a shock from the plug touching the prons (literally away from the socket, it still had charge  :o
Didn't you also say that somewhere else on here since I remember reading it somewhere?
I once did that not too long ago, My DC14 funniely enough. has an MTR299 though cause I thought to put my most powerful motor in my best cleaner so? Didn't bother pressing power switch as I was only moving to another plug socket about 5 metres away. Unplugged it and just during spool down (Makes it sound like a turbo  :)) ) I grabbed the entire plug.. Yep ive had that feeling too Tayyab
Collector and restorer of most vacuum cleaners including vintage, older style models and newer models. Seller of refurbished vacuums and vacuum parts Livin' every day, as if it were the last!

Offline ryevac

• Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2018, 12:37:31 pm »
The standard DC40 head has the DC24 motor in, the ERP one has the DC25 motor in. I doubt one would run the other in this case.

Test the head motor with your meter, one often takes out the other.

just used a dc25 head motor to replace a dc40 erp head motor, all fine but noticed the dc40 motor sprocket has a wider outer flange.
only matters, if you are using a dc40 erp motor to replace a dc25, you may need to file the hole on the dc25 motors plastic support plate.
The only way to fail is not to try.

Offline ryevac

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2018, 12:53:13 pm »
The standard DC40 head has the DC24 motor in, the ERP one has the DC25 motor in. I doubt one would run the other in this case.

Test the head motor with your meter, one often takes out the other.

so which motor is in the dc41 erp stu ? do you know?

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 07:50:12 pm »
The DC40 erp has the same head and motor as the DC41/55/75 ;)

TBH the mk2 dc41s are quite reliable! Motors hardly go on them and neither do any physical parts break on them anymore, I’d refurb them, more reliable than a DC33 haha

Offline ryevac

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 12:07:49 pm »
just needed to confirm dc41 erp motor as want to keep a  41 erp head motor in stock for faster repairs on site.

Offline Parwaz7862

• Dyson geek 😃
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 02:21:10 pm »
:thumbsup:

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon