I have had this vacuum cleaner for 3 years now. Bought on a whim on ebay, it came with a broken speed control on the hose. The day it arrived, I attempted to take it apart, and broke the hose even more. Ever since then, it's sat at the back of the loft awaiting the day some motivation came.
I found myself with 4 dolphins last month, and nearly got one down, but got this down instead, having been here the longest.
First up was to get the hose working. Hindsight showed me how to remove the locking tab on the hose correctly...
Along with my other dolphins, I had a few spare hoses, and the locking tabs are set up to take the power connectors that were never fitted, so I took one off, and took the remains of the lavendar one off the broken hose
You can see the remains of the locking tab still fitted to the hose
Removed the remains
Old v new
The contact strips pop out
and fit to the new tab
The other part of the contacts sit on the hose, and sprung bits of brass join them up
Some re-bending of the brass tabs to provide good contact and the new locking tab locks on
This is the machine in question
It's been repaired before by the looks of it
You can see the tabs on the machine side under the cover
So, the hose worked for the first time since I buggared it all those years ago...
Woohoo! Even Amy cheered (mainly because I then stopped pissing about with it at 11.45pm...)
So, next issue, which tech helped me with massively in the supressor thread was the speed control
This was the original issue, why the machine was being sold in the first place (and the owner has a bloody impressive amount of vacs and had a clearout, but it's stayed in the fold), the speed control doesnt work
I broke this open back in the day, and never did get it working again (dry solder was the original issue I think)
I broke the remains off the board, and had a look
A layer of something wasnt there to provide the contact, lost forever in 2 house moved
I went on an ebay hunt, and found some new potentiometers.
The day after I ordered those, we had massive network problems at work, and those of us who can work from home were told to do one at 10am. After the best damn drive home I've ever had (a naughty 25 minutes door to door 20.3 miles away), we were told to not log on, as IT had to prioritise the VPN connection for payments.
So, I had a look at the machine
The tools were wankered, the dusting brush and upholstery tool (had been squashed at some point, crack marks all over it) went in the bin
Tool tray is fine
This bag would have come with it when I bought it, knowing Richie god knows how old it is!
Filter was well past it too
2 rubber bungs flick out of the hose entry housing
The bag door comes off with a push of the tabs
The decal was loose anyway, so off it came
Underneath, the bag fill indicator is held on with hot glue
Seperates out easily
3 screws and the hose input housing comes off
Not a valid youtube URL
Hose power connector sits under here
Marked up for reassembly
Bag door seal pulls out
The wires run under the seal, and enter the machine here
The bag holder flicks off 2 shallow tabs
The bumper unclips from all around the edge
The exhaust filter should sit under here, it hasnt had one for years
The power decal pretty much fell off with a prod
Under 3 more screws sits the best damn circuit board I've ever seen on an oover
More reassembly markings
the 1400w (oooooh) boost button lifts out
hose wires removed
Extra bits removed, 4 screws come out, and the whole thing lifts out
The rear wheels sit on a keyed tube with a peg inside to stop it opening on its own
One had some string around it
The bag door latch is held on with a screw
I checked in with my boss at this point, who said still no word, and they were down the pub still... righto
Wand park slot unscrews from the inside
Front wheel has the only phillips screw on the WHOLE machine
Front wheel sits on another keyed plastic rod
Little balancing wheels pop out too
I dont know if this seperates anymore, I dont think so as you can see melted plastic joins, so I left it at that
I didnt dare twist this screw...
One white wire runs to the switch, the other into the motor. The red from the motor plugs in behind them. Red runs from the cord rewind to the switch
Ah look, a black.
I left this well alone after that, sod trying to trace a fault with it, that would be a massive thread of questions
Cord reel now
Tug the side of the housing out and unclip the axle
Red to the inside, black to the outside
Translation - DO NOT F*CK WITH
The cord ends looked in good order
The cord reel guide had an obstacle in the way
The pedals flick out of 2 retaining tabs
sprung by 2 metal springs
This was interesting, and may explain the repair shop sticker. On/off pedal had to be held in place with a bent hook of metal
Aha, a screw holds a little latch on
Switch lifts out
There's a seal that goes between the motor housing and bag housing
4 more screws
And a motor
It sits in a keyed recess
Motor seals off
Wires connecting up to the motor
This sticker fell off the motor
The top comes off the top of the motor by releasing 2 clips
This has seen some dust then...
The carbon brush holders snap out of the casting. The carbons wouldnt fully remove themselves, so I cleaned them up as best I could
That's as far apart as it goes
Just a big rivet
And that is that stripped down!
Got to wrap this up for now, will start with the rebuild later, dinner is calling!
But, an interesting story...
Was quite chuffed they replied. So it's an oirish vac!