The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: The Hoover 725 - Restoration, Repair and Refurbishment!  (Read 13107 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
The Hoover 725 - Restoration, Repair and Refurbishment!
« on: May 21, 2018, 08:59:45 pm »
I have an hour or so spare, and 3 hours battery on the Thinkpad X60t (so 2 hours of actual use..), so let's start this quite mammoth thread! Mr Stuart threw a box of goodies my way a while ago!

It is a magnificent old girl, and in need of some titivation before it can take pride of place in the Museum!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

This image dates when the refurb began...

Drop the cable. No fancy new world rotating cord hooks here

ila_rendered

Take the bag off

ila_rendered

The remains of the bag strap got removed

ila_rendered

And the Bag Slide taken off

ila_rendered

Next up was to remove the bag from the flange (fnarr). This oversized bolt was removed eventually after a squirt of plusgas to get it started

Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: The Hoover 725 - Restoration, Repair and Refurbishment!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 09:06:28 pm »
The seal on the bag flange was in good order, but I dare not remove it incase it suddenly became not in such good order...

ila_rendered

The bag got a good vacuum off with the Beko vac

ila_rendered

Which showed that the filtration can't quite cope with 40+ year old fine dust!

ila_rendered

But it did a good job, and the bag went into a bowl of very warm water and washing detergent for a good soak

ila_rendered

Whilst that did its thing, we can take the handle off, and remove the securing clamp bolt

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The handle lifts out now, unplugging itself as it goes

ila_rendered

Starting at the top, the 2 screws holding the switch in place can be removed. These have to pop out of the rubber, which can be a bit nerve racking at this age...

ila_rendered

Then the plate lifts off, revealing the rush job wiring we did in the unboxing video

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:14:31 pm »
The switch wiring is insulated from the handle by this fireproof piece of card (or asbestos, who knows!)

ila_rendered

Hello cloth covered wires!

ila_rendered

They were all removed, this cleaner switches the neutral flow

ila_rendered

I then thought I had broken something when said piece of maybe safe cardboard fell out, but worked out it just slips into the rubber gasket, which is fine!

ila_rendered

I dare not attempt to remove the cable exit from the switch plate. These usually perish after all this time, this is in good order.

ila_rendered

Moving down to the base of the handle now to get the plug out. It is held in on these old girls with a fibre pin, which just taps out

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The sleeve can now be slid off without having to open it up to get around the fibre pin

ila_rendered

With massive trepidation, as this part went wrong on my Hoover 875, and caused a year or so delay as I found a replacement handle, i wiggled the plug out. Only the wafer thin cap which is hidden in the handle anyway snapped, it can be glued up later.

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 09:20:15 pm »
The long lost bag spring and the remains of the strap fall out now. Fascinating to wonder how many years this has been hidden in here!

ila_rendered

The strap tore with barely a brush, it was fully rotten

ila_rendered

Lovely detail on the plug

ila_rendered

Then I had a look at the handle wires. I was expecting this tbh, my 875 and old 262 did the same, when you bent the wire, the rubber and cloth insulation just cracked and crumbled

ila_rendered

Time to remove the bag strap wheel, 1 screw holds it onto the handle

ila_rendered

I could not get a photograph of it, it's too small for my camera even in macro mode but 1933 was stamped into this. The same date stamp as on my 875 from 1938, but I imagine they made thousands of these wheels and just used them until they changed to the slide and spring we all know and love today

ila_rendered

We can now move onto the main show

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Belt guard off

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:34:32 pm »
Next the middle belt guard comes off with its 4 screws

ila_rendered

You can see where years of floppy belts have brushed against it

ila_rendered

Next the baseplate can be lifted, which was tricky with it being full of grit

ila_rendered

Eventually it heaved up

ila_rendered

And the brushroll unclipped

ila_rendered

The brushroll dismantles in the usual way, one end cap off, then the other one and axle pulled out

ila_rendered

End caps were very clean, just a bit of surface rust which is good as these are pretty unobtanium now

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

One bearing set removed

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:39:48 pm »
The tension washer had long died though

ila_rendered

Other side

ila_rendered

Unlike more modern brushrolls, the bearing carriers do not easily come out, and I sure as heck wasnt drilling the rivets out so they stayed put

ila_rendered

Next out were the front wheels

ila_rendered

Remove the circlip and withdraw the wheels. One wheel has a chip out of the shoulder, but is still fine

ila_rendered

The wheel axle is held on with a nut the other side of the casting, and a washer

ila_rendered

Next, I removed the 3 tiny split pins that held the emblem on

ila_rendered

Revealing 80+ years of dirt!

ila_rendered

Sadly this emblem is very worn, it should be painted orange with brass highlights, but the orange has long gone. After discussion with the Bossman, we left it alone, as it looks nicely worn rather than silly bright orange!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 09:45:26 pm »
The main bumper is in remarkably good condition, and held in with much bigger split pins

ila_rendered

And removed

ila_rendered

Looking a bit naked now!

ila_rendered

Time to remove the wiring from the handle bail now and HOLY CR@P

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

This is a tad more scary than the internal wiring, because you can easily pick the machine up exactly here, which would help you along the way to being  :dead-dyson: or at least quite poorly with a worse hairstyle than mine quite quickly...

The wiring unclips from the bail and the plug falls out

ila_rendered

Time to start the interesting bit

ila_rendered

Mmmm yummy

ila_rendered

This is the original (I think) Hoover logo, before the modern one came to be

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 09:57:14 pm »
3 more screws and the whole motor assembly lifts off the chassis. This is what is called a Coffee Can machine, before Henry Dreyfuss came along and hid it all under silly bakelite and new fangled plastic hoods

ila_rendered

Rear wheels now

ila_rendered

One comes off with a little circlip

ila_rendered

And reveals what looks like a grub screw, but is actually a long bolt

ila_rendered

With this bolt removed, and the adjustment knob spun up until it unscrews from the adjustment bracket

ila_rendered

The whole thing drops right off

ila_rendered

Then splits fully apart

ila_rendered

Sadly the adjustment knob doesn't come off, so I left it alone! Again, unobtainable...

ila_rendered

Bag flange bolts undo next, they unbolt from the rear and unscrew, they aren't coming off in a hurry

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 10:02:59 pm »
Time to start on the motor, and wow! That is a pin, flung through the cast iron (I think) fan!

ila_rendered

Got rid of that before I gave myself TB or anything

Then the belt pulley got clamped, the spindle held still with a screwdriver and off it all cracked!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Under the fan sit the spacer washers and standoff

ila_rendered

Cripes, we have forgotten about the bag, let's go and have a look...

ila_rendered

Crikey, I bet you would catch all sorts of exotic diseases if you drank some of that...

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

That picture didn't show the thick layer of sand in the bottom of the bowl. I rinsed the bag under cold running water a bit until the water ran a bit clearer, then turned the bag inside out (or right way round, can't remember now) and refilled the bowl with fresh warm water and more detergent for another few hours.

Back to the motor now!

ila_rendered

But we need to be the other end, to remove this circlip

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 10:09:46 pm »
The circlip releases the top cap, under which sits a conical spring

ila_rendered

And under that spring sits a screw which holds the armature into the housing

ila_rendered

With that undone, and the 4 screws under the fan removed, the armature can be withdrawn from the motor

ila_rendered

I'm amazed these old motors run with the gunk on the field coil, I have seen loads like this!

ila_rendered

Possibly the main issue with this old girl is the carbon brushes, but there is a hack for that which we will look at upon re-assembly

ila_rendered

The fancase plate can be tapped off the armature

ila_rendered

Time to remove the bearing from the fancase cover, and another circlip holds it in

ila_rendered

Then a top cover plate and felt washer come out

ila_rendered

Then the bearing itself. And these old bearings really are a treat! No mass produced 608ZZ's here!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 10:13:50 pm »
Actual proper ball bearings!

ila_rendered

And the plate is empty!

ila_rendered

Crikey, my camera is going very black where I hold it now...

ila_rendered

But before we can remove the coil, we need to remove the handle bail plug to pull it all through

ila_rendered

The wires are soldered to the pins, and one snapped as soon as I looked at it funny

ila_rendered

But, because this is being re-wired, I cut the other one off as well!

ila_rendered

The protecting spring can be removed from the wires now

ila_rendered

And the field coil unbolted and withdrawn

ila_rendered

The bakelite carbon brush caps are unscrewed (the brushes came out from inside when we lifted the armature out)

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 10:18:47 pm »
And the last picture in the last post shows the carbon brush holders and their insulating sleeves removed, a tiny grub screw holding them in!

Back to the top of the motor housing now, and the bearing itself has a protective cover, held in with the armature screw

ila_rendered

And it cane be removed as well, making the pair free!

ila_rendered

The motor serial tag was removed

ila_rendered

As was the exhaust vent diffuser, which rather than being a silly bit of foam like you get nowadays is actual metal

ila_rendered

The motor housing is/was sealed to the main chassis with sealant. This was not as flexible as it once was so was scraped off

ila_rendered

We jump back to the internal handle wiring and unscrew the wires from the plug

ila_rendered

Then clean the field coil

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 10:23:33 pm »
We are disassembled now! The bearings got a good soak in Tardis, then Petrol, which cleaned them up a treat, with a bit of brushing when the solution got changed to get the gritty stuff out

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Turns out they are SKF bearings!

ila_rendered

I then discovered 2 more tiny grub screws

ila_rendered

Which came from here

ila_rendered

Which enabled the handle bail to be removed from the main chassis

ila_rendered

So all this could be boxed up

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 10:31:22 pm »
All the brightwork got boxed up, and sent to Dorian, who is HooverLux on youtube, and a pretty bloody top bloke, who collects Kirby's. And as he collects Kirbys, he knows about polish and such, so worked his MAGIC

Once the parts came back, they really did look astonishing. I had the top motor cover on my desk at work all day!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Fun over, we can lay everything out

ila_rendered

And begin re-assembly. Which is where I am going to leave it for tonight, as I need to get to bed. Stay tuned for the re-assembly and testing, and to see if Stuart himself is happy with the results!

Bye for now

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 07:59:31 pm »
Right, I have a few minutes whilst Amy gets Charlie to sleep, so let's do some more on this!

The first thing we need is some 'orrible modern white cable

ila_rendered

Specifically the inside bits, measured for length plus a cm for luck with the old motor wires

ila_rendered

Some fairly terrible soldering was performed

ila_rendered

And after some heatshrink was slid over the wires, all looked good, and safe!

ila_rendered

Now it was time to get fingerprints all over the lovely metalwork! First was to refit the handle bail onto the hood

ila_rendered

It had been a month or so since I disassembled it all, and I had bagged everything up so it was easier to come back to

ila_rendered

It was a bit of a struggle but it went on eventually, a nice lick of grease around all the moving parts for good measure!

ila_rendered

Next, the cable protection spring was slid over the motor wires, but the other way round so I could hide the slightly damaged part behind the motor housing. The plug was also fitted

ila_rendered

Now, time to reassemble the motor, and I had help! Years ago I bought a PDF of a Hoover Service Manual, covering everything from the Model 0 to the 1950s, which catered perfectly for the motor! Used my Thinkpad X60 Tablet (the very same I am writing this on in fact) to read it as I worked!

ila_rendered

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram