The World's #1 Vacuum Cleaner Advice, Repair, Discussion & Information Forum

Author Topic: Vorwerk VK120 Home Cleaning System - Stripdown and Refurb!  (Read 29779 times)

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Vorwerk VK120 Home Cleaning System - Stripdown and Refurb!
« on: July 31, 2018, 10:05:45 pm »
This has the potential to be very very VERY long, and has been a long time coming!

At the beginning of the year, I bought myself a Vorwerk! No, I didn't spend £1500 on the latest one, I spent £15 on a 1989 VK120

This was 2 streets away! I won it on ebay (only bidder) and would have walked round and got it if there wasn't so much of it!

What do we have then? Well, we have the VTF731 Dry Cleaning head

ila_rendered

Many many bags of Kobosan dry cleaning powder

ila_rendered

A spot removal kit

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

A taped up carry handle

ila_rendered

Which was hiding a small crack in the hinge

ila_rendered

It's CV

Week 29 1989, it dates the same as a Numatic

The cable exit grommit was torn

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
Re: Vorwerk VK120 Home Cleaning System - Stripdown and Refurb!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 10:12:51 pm »
A mail order form so I can get some spares

Oh good, I can use my Switch card...

ila_rendered

We have the ET340 Power Head

ila_rendered

And it's basically very VERY complete! But how well does it work?

Not a valid youtube URL
(This dates this, I didn't have my new lighting rig then...)

Very well bar the power head (the bloke did say this in the listing, but I've repaired these before, they snap the wires running through the pivot point. So, let's take the brushes out, and wow their a bit worn aren't they...

ila_rendered

Pop the rear wheels out to reveal some screws

ila_rendered

Flip the front down to remove the top screws

ila_rendered

Open it up and look at 20 years of filth...

ila_rendered

Which was nicely compacted

ila_rendered

Let's have a look for this broken wire then... Ah, this is broken, but it's not a wire...

ila_rendered
Collector and restorer of vintage vacuums, Dyson Appreciator! Come and see my blog, where I am uploading all my mountains of brochures, manuals and other vacuum cleaner paperwork, and also my youtube channel @beko1987!

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 10:20:46 pm »
Mmmmm, the belt runs around the cog that drives the brushroll spindles

ila_rendered

Obviously you cant buy the belts on their own, and all the similar toothed belts, including ones from a few turbo tools I stripped down were not the right ones

ila_rendered

The design of this is identical really to the Dyson turbine tool assembly, which does not really come apart unless your really lucky. Needless to say it was soon very broken, although did come apart

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

So a plan was formulated, and I washed the bag to cheer myself up. This entails taking off the plastic part

ila_rendered

Ignoring the peeling edges

ila_rendered

The bag itself is very faded

ila_rendered

But into the washing machine it went as it would make the vacuum itself work much better

ila_rendered

Whilst all this had been going on, I got talking to the biggest Vorwerk parts guy I know, who sent me a box of lovely goodies!

And the powerhead was fixed! This picture shows the amazing track marks left by the perfect condition brushrolls...

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 10:36:46 pm »
Some time then passed, and I was paid a visit by another vacuum collector, as he had bought a machine from another collector the next town over from me, so we trundled over to collect it as it wouldn't post. The guy gave me some more tools gratis as he didnt want them! So I now had an ET30 head, which is a generation older then the other one

ila_rendered

And a bit more conventional looking

ila_rendered

And a bag full of tools!

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The hose is from the generation after my machine, the carry strap is built into the hose here

ila_rendered

I also had a duplication of the tools!

ila_rendered

Charlie liked using it

ila_rendered

Even though it was a pain to store

However, soon its time had come, and downstairs it came to meet its maker (possibly)

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 10:41:14 pm »
The bag opens up

ila_rendered

And pulls off the hinge to the main machine

ila_rendered

The bag is removed, and the bag holder and plastic end cap from the bag itself go for washing

ila_rendered

Mmmmm faded

ila_rendered

I washed both hoses, aiming to sell the one I didnt want

ila_rendered

Back to the machine itself

ila_rendered

The handle and wiring is removed (it does this so it plugs into the ETF head for dry cleaning

ila_rendered

And I removed the head from the motor unit

ila_rendered

These 2 screws need to be undone

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 10:45:50 pm »
And the motor cover can be removed

ila_rendered

Which reveals the motor itself, although that wont come out yet!

ila_rendered

The outer skin of the motor housing needs to come off, which I was warned before was a sod of a job! The rubber cover for the power head button holds it all in, and the whole lot needs to be warmed up to make it pliable before it will all move. I still tore the botton cover sadly, but eventually you can get a blunt knife inside to free it all up

ila_rendered

Once free, the outer skin will start to slide off

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

and eventually just falls off, the rubber button falling off with it

ila_rendered

Inside here looks a bit tasty

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Now the outer skin is off, the motor housing can be opened up by releasing all the tabs

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 10:54:55 pm »
Already I felt I would need to wash my hands several times tonight...

ila_rendered

The motor lifts out, and all the wires need to be disconnected. It's fairly simple, there's the main input wires, 2 motor wires, 2 wires to the powerhead plug and 2 wires to the bag full light, all held together in a little terminal block. I took a fair few pictures incase it helps, but when its infront of you, it's easier than it looks (plus I did this nearly 5 months ago, I've forgotten!)

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Once free, motor and housing can part company.

ila_rendered

The wires to the powerhead run down here. The yellow part is not structural, merely there to channel the wires into the right place for when the motor is fitted

ila_rendered

Once out of the way, you can see the screw that holds the plug in place, and the plastic cover for the bag indicator light and bag door latch

ila_rendered

Remove the screw

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 11:00:34 pm »
Once removed, you can see the spring plate for the buttons, and the buttons themselves

ila_rendered

The buttons just lift out

ila_rendered

The wires slide through the green latch

ila_rendered

The bulb sits inside the yellow part

ila_rendered

The 2 buttons slide off the wires

To remove the wires from the handle end, pop the plastic cover off by pushing on the tabs at the back

ila_rendered

Then everything falls out, and you can remove the wires from the terminals

ila_rendered

To remove the wires from the powerhead end, remove the yellow cover

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

and pop the terminals out

Remove the wires from the motor and the loom is free and can be wiped down so you can place it somewhere without destroying stuff with black!

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 11:08:12 pm »
The spring plate does slide across to be removed as well

ila_rendered

Now for the powerhouse!

ila_rendered

This part here acts as a silencer, and dulls the noise of all the dirt bouncing up into the fan, and from where it rattles around in the fan housing itself

ila_rendered

Vacuum god Gareth Sheen had warned me that this bit gets disgusting, so it was no surprise to pull it apart and see this

ila_rendered

Up top is another electrical item that I forgot to mention previously! This is the bag indicator mechanism and switch! (2 wires got to this btw!)

ila_rendered

This piece adjusts the sensitivity of it all

ila_rendered

And removes

ila_rendered

This part is where the magic happens! From what I worked out, it works by suction. When the suction is good enough, it's sucked closed and is fine, However when the suction drops, the spring helps it open just a fraction which hits the switch and puts the light on. It was fricking filthy and wouldn't have been working very well at all. You can adjust the sensitivity by turning the knob so it open easier or harder.

ila_rendered

The membrane clips to the frame, the membrane is supposed to ensure a good seal

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 11:14:44 pm »
The inside of the muffler

ila_rendered

And the outside. The foam had long since died

ila_rendered

And just sort of fell off

ila_rendered

It had turned to dust a long time ago

ila_rendered

The inner part

ila_rendered

The more I think about this now, the less I think this contraption was to muffle anything, I think its partly to keep the airflow constant by the inlet to allow the bag full light system to work, and keep dirt out of there...

Either way, we find ourselves at the fan case

ila_rendered

No way am I trying to release the spring clips you can see, but the screws were removed

ila_rendered

There was a rubber flap at the end of the crimped on part that locked into place on the outer skin of the motor housing, which pops off now

ila_rendered

The fancase had a little clog

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 11:25:06 pm »
Soon took care of that!

ila_rendered

However, things went downhill from here, as I could not get the motor apart! The fan and top fan are supposed to just unscrew, but didn't, and the captive nut inside the top cooling fan just started to spin, so I had to leave it alone, which was a shame as the bearings needed attention. So I cleaned it up as best I could

ila_rendered

And had to leave it

ila_rendered

I had to wash my hands and clean my camera at this juncture

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The carbon dust really was bad! Once done, it was time to move onto the head! Well, one of them anyway

ila_rendered

Turning it over and removing the 2 rear screws flips the baseplate up

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

The brushroll can then be removed

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 11:39:27 pm »
The brushroll isnt in bad condition. Slightly worn, but oodles of life left in it. Interestingly, as Stu found out, it's the same brushroll that Dyson used in the Cyclon! (https://manchestervacs.co.uk/DysonForum/index.php/topic,1814.50.html) so I could get one, but there's no need really

ila_rendered

Upon removing the end caps I noted that the performance would be immediately improved after all this

ila_rendered

There is a spring buried inside each end cap too

ila_rendered

Once all removed though, their fine!

ila_rendered

The 3 front screws on the baseplate remove it fully

ila_rendered

The rear screws have a plastic bush to presumably stop them pulling into the head and bending the metal

ila_rendered

The top decal is displayed underneath a perspex cover

ila_rendered

And now we can dive back into filth! This is the little PCB that controls things

ila_rendered

The neck lifts out

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 11:45:00 pm »
2 plastic pegs hold it into the main head

ila_rendered

The wiring runs up the neck, and is uncovered by removing a cover

ila_rendered

The 2 parts are removed by squeezing and withdrawing 3 plastic lockers

ila_rendered

At this stage, it becomes apparent that the wiring has to come up from the motor side first, so it's over to the motor

ila_rendered

Off with the foam cover

ila_rendered

Off with the pattern belt

ila_rendered

Out with the motor and off with the wires

ila_rendered

The carbon brushes are fab luckily

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 11:49:23 pm »
The little PCB can be extracted

ila_rendered

The motor itself is a bit furry

ila_rendered

The belt side seal pulls off

ila_rendered

2 long screws separate the 2 halves

ila_rendered

There is some odd cover plate, possibly to protect from the belt rubbing through the housing if worn, that was practically being pushed off with the dirt from behind

ila_rendered

The Armature pulls out from the top housing

ila_rendered

Coil is in good order

ila_rendered

Top frame and it's blue protective hat

ila_rendered

Anyway, back to the neck and wiring! The yellow cable sleeve pulls off

ila_rendered

Offline beko1987

• Let's take it apart!
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 11:55:48 pm »
The wiring can then be withdrawn fully from the whole shebang, starting with the botom half

ila_rendered

The top half has an odd spring which forms part of the standing up mechanism, as this head allows the whole machine to stand up on its own

ila_rendered

The wiring falls out now!

Back to the chassis of the head, the rear wheels come out now. This head has a habit of the wheels wearing through the chassis. Luckily this one hasnt done this

ila_rendered

This is the brushroll adjusting mechanism. This head can be adjusted to compensate for brushroll wear. This metal part here moves around and moves the brushroll a notch at a time with it, the notch at a time lowering the brushroll until you hit a certain point and it resets back to 0 again. I find the middle positions work best for the wear mine has

ila_rendered

This is the lever you give a little tug to

ila_rendered

With the retaining cover removed, it flips right back

ila_rendered

This metal plate and 2 rubber strips seal the head where the mechanism passes through

ila_rendered

The end frames lift out of the chassis

ila_rendered

The front bumper pops off

ila_rendered

Dyson Spare Parts

Trade Dyson Spare Parts

Dyson Spare Parts

Freestanding Dyson Cordless Vacuum Stand

Buy a Dyson DC04 Wand Handle

Buy a police truncheon

Instagram

Dyson Spares, Parts, Advice   Follow us on Twitter

Manchester Vacs on Instagram